Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

BL combo ,advice on choice?

I have not long bought my 1st kit XV-01 I put a HW1060 and 15t motor in that.

I now want a buggy for rough terrain,just fun again,nothing serious.

Looking at a Dark Impact OR Top Force.  I want to run BL and see Absima do a combo for 1/10th, its apx £70. I have no idea if this will suit either OR if the quality is ok, I will run LiPo 2s or 3s on recommendation

I can buy the Dark and ESC/motor local BUT the topforce will take few days online. Might effect the choice.

Tips or advice would be great

There is another thread covering this exact topic which was just started too, so have a read of that one.

Personally I like the Top Force and suspect that the parts will be easier to come by long term because of the rereleases of the DF01 cars, and the TA02 is in production.  The Dark Impact was a bit of an orphan and the parts supply is drying up.  Take this with a grain of salt though as I have wanted a Top Force for a couple of years and finally have one sitting waiting to be built.

I would get a sensored setup, and get adjustable endbell timing on the motor (some are fixed timing) and a programmable ESC which can add dynamic timing, or be run in blinky mode, rather than a spec or stock class setup.  This gives a lot of flexibility, and you need to be able to adjust as everything is a tradeoff.  More endbell timing means less gearing and less dynamic timing, more dynamic timing means less gearing and less endbell timing etc.  Its about finding the sweet spot for what you are doing.

Personally I think around 10.5T - 13.5T is fast enough, when set up properly I don't you'll want more speed unless you are in wide open spaces.  If you want faster than this then you are probably better looking at one of those Traxxas or Arma "100mph out of the box" type cars rather than a Tamiya.

This is a great bang for buck combo which has a few options on the motor.  I ran these for a couple of seasons, they have both died now but this is outdoor on dirt so there is a lot of dust - most people expect to get 1 - 2 years out of any ESC in these conditions.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo-13-5t.html?___store=en_us

These look good for the price (I'm not 100% sure on the boost/turbo function though)

http://www.rcmart.com/quicrun-brushless-sensored-120a-p-74251.html?cPath=1560_2230_1021

These are great, I run one in my 2wd buggy and heaps of people run them as they perform well for the price, and give the flexibility to run mod or stock classes

http://www.rcmart.com/toro-ts120a-brushless-sensored-black-p-67556.html?cPath=1560_2230_1021

These motors are great value for money and compete with the best of the current crop.  A few of us run them at my club and speed isn't the reason we aren't at on the podium (apparently skill, practice, experience and other things are more important than the latest and greatest gear).

https://www.banggood.com/Surpass-Hobby-Rocket-540-Sensored-Brushless-Motor-V4S-Stock-Spec-2-Sensor-10_5T-13_5T-21_5T-17_5T-RC-Car-Part-p-1291922.html?rmmds=search&ID=520184&cur_warehouse=CN

Also consider gearing options - I picked up the TA02 high speed gears for my Top Force which means I can get some lower FDR's which are better suited to brushless motors.  YI don't konw whats available for the Dark Impact, but you will be disappointed putting a brushless motor into a stock Tamiya with is 9 or 10:1 gearing.  The Top Force should be ok with about a 10.5T - 13.5T with the high speed gears but an 8.5T may be better suited to it, I'll find out after Christmas.

Finally, the Top Force is one of the best looking buggies around, so get that.

• Thanks 1

Jg, Thanks for taking the time with that detailed info. The only thing I don't fully agree with is the Top Force being good looking. I am dithering because of the looks!

I think I will go with the Top Force because of the points you picked out, I am a bit peeved because bearings upgrade kit will be needed! my XV-01 came with full bearings.

Lastly I read a post somewhere where it was stated that the Top Force needs the "metal motor mount" I can not even find mention on the shops I might use? Is it needed?

Another vote for Top Force.  

Tamiya is a bit more delicate indeed.  10.5t should be about 3300kv if it's Tamiya brushless.  Other brands would range from 3300 to 3800kv.  If you have an access to an abandoned airport, you could get a 4.5t, and go 100km/h.  But as mentioned already Traxxas would be a better choice.  For Tamiyas, 13.5t with TBLE02s or 10.5t with a better ESC like Hobbywing 10BL120 would be optimal.  

I didn't add anything to what Jonathon already said, did I?  Well. ditto all that.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

Jg, Thanks for taking the time with that detailed info. The only thing I don't fully agree with is the Top Force being good looking. I am dithering because of the looks!

I think I will go with the Top Force because of the points you picked out, I am a bit peeved because bearings upgrade kit will be needed! my XV-01 came with full bearings.

Lastly I read a post somewhere where it was stated that the Top Force needs the "metal motor mount" I can not even find mention on the shops I might use? Is it needed?

I know right, it should come with bearings since it was billed as a race kit (an actual race kit, not in the Hornet kind of "racing buggy" race kit).  At least bearings are cheap, it needs 16 1150s and 10 850s according to the box.

Stella Models had the high speed gear set, 47393, in stock.

2 options for the motor mount.  This is the one I bought since it was cheaper

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-ta01013bu-alum-modified-motor-mount-1621t-ta01ta02-p-27517.html?cPath=595_744_754

But you can get a Tamiya one, which is actually cheaper to buy in the Manta Ray hardened shaft (the Top Force has the shaft already) pack.

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-19804966-motor-mount-porsche-type-jägermeister-p-76661.html?cPath=595_744_754

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-47373-hard-prop-shaftmotor-mount-manta-2018-p-77402.html?cPath=595_744_754

I also bought titanium turnbuckles (not necessary, but they are cool) and got the Top Force kit with the Hi Caps included from RCMart.  Its now US$10 cheaper than when I got it.  This way I got hi caps without having to say they were extra (much easier to get sign off from the finance committee that way).

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-cb1237-force-2017-limited-edition-buggy-p-85729.html?cPath=420_1183

RCJaz had a combo with the carbon fibre chassis and shock towers and hi caps, but that was really expensive and is showing as out of stock.

Thanks for the link to the motor mount, this is where you guys are great knowing which parts cross over to other kits.

The bummer is being in the UK upgrades and tuning parts are hard to find.

Looking at the ESC mentioned,they all seem very tall with the fan, looking at the top force,room looks very tight with that top plate.

I might get the kit and bearings do the build then decide if I want the BL or plump for a good brushed setup. Being a newb I think I am jumping the BL a bit quick. And I must remind my self this is just for fun,more than likely 90% of the time will be using it solo.

18 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

Thanks for the link to the motor mount, this is where you guys are great knowing which parts cross over to other kits.

The bummer is being in the UK upgrades and tuning parts are hard to find.

Looking at the ESC mentioned,they all seem very tall with the fan, looking at the top force,room looks very tight with that top plate.

I might get the kit and bearings do the build then decide if I want the BL or plump for a good brushed setup. Being a newb I think I am jumping the BL a bit quick. And I must remind my self this is just for fun,more than likely 90% of the time will be using it solo.

The fans can be removed (or are usually supplied with the screws to attach them), so don't worry about that.  You will need one if you go for a low turn motor or run a lot of turbo and boost, but by then the car will be uncontrollable.  If you run a 13.5T or 10.5T with some turbo and boost that SkyRC TS120 shouldn't overheat.  The Trackstar may as you're getting closer to its limits at that point.  I don't run fans on any of my racecars, but they are all blinky and 17.5T or 21.5T motors.

I haven't bought a single brushed motor other than what comes in the kit.  Brushless motors are cheap enough, don't require maintenance and if you stay with 13.5T then you can use the TBLE-02S which are often included in kits, or are very cheap on ebay in the UK (I buy mine from UK sellers as its cheaper than buying them over here).  I know others swear by the 1060 ESC and lower turn brushed motors though.

I have a HW1060 and 15T (£12) motor in the XV-01. using the standard pinion and main gear. its fun to drive.

I do not know whether to get the same esc and perhaps a 10T motor?

The Tamiya ESC is pretty cheap here,i am not sure how low brushed it can go until I was able to change to BL . Is the Tamiya BL setup a good system with good turn of speed? Sorry for all the questions. I made a few errors with parts i bought wrong for the XV-01 and want to avoid that again!

49 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

I have a HW1060 and 15T (£12) motor in the XV-01. using the standard pinion and main gear. its fun to drive.

I do not know whether to get the same esc and perhaps a 10T motor?

The Tamiya ESC is pretty cheap here,i am not sure how low brushed it can go until I was able to change to BL . Is the Tamiya BL setup a good system with good turn of speed? Sorry for all the questions. I made a few errors with parts i bought wrong for the XV-01 and want to avoid that again!

The TBLE-02S is rated down to 10.5T brushless but I think it needs a fan for that.  I've had no problems with a 13.5T brushless in a Boomerang, it runs really well and the ESC is low in the tub without any airflow to cool it.

Its rated down to 25T or Sport Tuned brushed motors, but a friend runs Tamiya Super Stock 23T motors on his with no issues.  He's brought his cars over and run them for about an hour without any issues, so I think that the TBLE-02S is fine on those too.  I've read that people have run 17T brushed motors with them but that is well out of spec.

The Tamiya Super Stock is a very good brushed motor and I've read that they perform as well as the cheaper 17T motors too, but since I don't own any I can't confirm that.

I run TBLE-02S in all my basher cars, and either stick with the kit motor for backyard running, or go to a 13.5T brushless if I want to go faster.  I like the versatility of them.  I'm in the minority though, most on here it seems prefer the HW 1060 with a lower turn brushed motor.  I've got a TBLE-02S for my Top Force and will either run the silvercan or one of my spare 17.5T to give it a go at the track.