Grumpy pants

What is the best Tamiya Beach runner?

10 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

There is one other scenario which I tend to favour a lot these days. If you're fortunate enough to have sand dunes near your beach then running on those can result on little to no maintenance being necessary. I live near the South Wales coast and there's several areas of sand dunes that do not come into contact with the tide so after years of being rinsed with rain water, they have comparatively very little salt. On a drug day you can bash all day there and 99% of the sand will just fall off afterwards. I barely have to do any cleanup after running on the dunes and the only vehicles I really avoid using are ones with open gears or at least badly sealed gearboxes.

For years I was worried about what sand would do to my vehicles (and avoided it) but I have found that if you are willing to stay away from wet sand, you might find there is no maintenance required at all after sand running. Certainly if you are lucky enough to have clean dry sand nearby, you will be pleasantly surprised. 

I have run dozens of beach sessions with under 10 min of maintenance after each session. Clean beach sand is actually less of a problem than fine dirt and grit. It just falls right off. I have track vehicles that are filthy vs the beach vehicles.

I even run open gear vehicles as long as they are 32p. Sand just bounces right off the gears or gets crushed. 

• Like 3

Well I bit the bullet last night and I bought some Pro Line Sand Paws tyres for the rear and some Ribbed tyres for the front.

The idea is too use my Blitzer but the temptation to buy another Lunchbox is lurking in the back ground 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

I even run open gear vehicles as long as they are 32p. Sand just bounces right off the gears or gets crushed. 

True! Never had much of an issue with my 1st gen E-maxx.

18 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Well I bit the bullet last night and I bought some Pro Line Sand Paws tyres for the rear and some Ribbed tyres for the front.

The idea is too use my Blitzer but the temptation to buy another Lunchbox is lurking in the back ground 👍

I have found to the Sand Paws to be very effective. Maybe a little too much sometimes lol. But you will never want for traction. 

You'll love them.

• Like 4

So I have gone onto buy a beach runner for my annual holiday in Wales with my daughters- who love horse riding...

I took my Sand Scorcher last time which needed a complete strip down and rebuild, thank you to @TurnipJF for rescuing that one from a certain slow death.

I took a Wild One the time before that which was half decent as well and always before that our Extreme Blackfoot until it literally was ready to fall apart.

This time I have bought another Lunchbox, my 9th and sadly probably not my last. 

Cheap, robust, good ground clearance and I am obsessed with them, so why not  :lol:

All great tips, thank you everyone and for the superb pictures B)

• Like 1