junkmunki

Mk1 chassis SRB

There has been much discusion about the 'MK1' or early SRB chassis, with the double bearing rear wishbones and the screw adjuster front uprights.

The first Sand Scorchers and Rough Riders used these chassis, but did the early Ford Ranger with the short wheel arches use this chassis?

I am restoring a short arch Ranger and when i got it, it had the early gearbox and wishbones, but the later front end.

If you look at the first press pictures released by Tamiya of the Ranger, it would appear that the early front end was used, but in the guide books, it shows the later type.

Does anyone know if the early Ranger should have the early type chassis?

J

My short front arch Ranger has a later chassis with molded front spring studs not screws , and the non 'tab' rear end , but this is not a definitive answer , as parts could have been swapped on this one . Early releases could have had cross over parts . The short arch body was an early model and modded later to overcome the wheel rub problem . sorry I can't be of more help .

• Like 1

Completely agree @KEV THE REV

And @Hibernaculum thoughts in other threads nails the impossibility of reliable Mks in anything before Tamiya moved factories in 87 ... and even then 🙄

The short answer is I’ve never seen a NIB (or new built) Ranger with early SRB features - largely because by its release in 81 even Tamiya had likely emptied the tanks of first run / 78 parts ...

That doesn’t mean there isn’t one though - because the SuperChamp a year later still has proven NIB oddities with pics on here if you search

What’s flawed is any pre-87 restoration aimed at a specific Mk - again, because interchangeability of parts (with manuals that weren’t reprinted to align) makes Mk or version a personal preference vs collectible authenticity 

So feel free to go with whatever you like / will admire @junkmunki 👍

The rest of this debate will rumble on until someone inevitably finds a NIB, unscathed Ranger ... with screw anchoring front uprights under a pristine blister 😂

• Like 2

I think you are both right. The ranger in the earliest picture from Tamiya that i have seen, even had the early black bumper, but this was most likely pre production, as i dont ever remember the Ranger with that.

I do have quite a bit of early SRB stuff, so i think i build it that way for curiosity sake.

Thanks guys.

J

• Like 1