Oneball1971

Synthetic rubber cement

Started building my Re Re Top Force today (Yay) and instructions say I need synthetic rubber cement. Is there a common name for name for this like evo stik that I can get from screwfix or b&q or is it like a bike inner tube repair kit glue? Or am I totally wrong?

I've always assumed they meant air-curing silicone like the stuff you use to make gaskets and what not. I usually apply black RTV silicone on the spline interfaces, and have never had any issues.

Is the glue that is commonly used to fix a bike tyre suitable? This is the only product I can find that is referred to as ‘rubber cement’. Have any members had success using such a product? Also wondered whether a thread lock would suffice.

where and on what are you supposed to use it. Rubber cement to me is either tyre repair contact adhesive or Copydex style glue?

To my understanding most people yours truly included use cyanoacrylate super glue to attach the outdrives to the diff. Just construct the ball diff first without glue and once ready, install bearings and finally glue. Be careful not to glue the bearings to the shaft.

Without gluing, there is a  tendency for the diff outdrives to move just enough for the spines to get destroyed.

Would it be possible to use thread lock instead?  I am just now starting my Top Force build and noticed it requires rubber cement which I found odd.  I don't believe I have any and not sure what to sub in its place.  I have a few varying strengths of thread lock.  Never heard of cementing outdrives into a diff.

My Top Force is arriving. does Tamiya sell rubber cement? Lemme know if locktite will work

I used the traditional glue uhu in the yellow tube, where rubber cement was required on my Mountain Rider. I believe it is similar to what tamiya intended with their description of rubber cement. It allows you to place things and also stays kind of supple / springy which I believe is the point. I don’t think you are meant to use something that goes hard like CA glue or thread lock.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kid168 said:

is there a part number on the TF manual for the rubber cement?

Tamiya 87190 is the only rubber cement I know from Tamiya. But it´s a big amount, meant for PC body fixes.

Years back, I used Loctite 638 which is thread lock with higher strength on my Top Force Evo. Advantage is, it´s not so liquid as cyano, less risk of damaging the bearings.

Fit of the newer outdrives is quite lousy, lost one on my 40th years Porsche in the beginning, although I glued them a Little.(because I knew it wouldn´t work).

So you have to test a little bit, how much glue and which you need. I think UHU as mentioned by Coolhands is also a very good idea, when you need to remove it one day to replace the bearings...

Just now, ruebiracer said:

Tamiya 87190 is the only rubber cement I know from Tamiya. But it´s a big amount, meant for PC body fixes.

Years back, I used Loctite 638 which is thread lock with higher strength on my Top Force Evo. Advantage is, it´s not so liquid as cyano, less risk of damaging the bearings.

Fit of the newer outdrives is quite lousy, lost one on my 40th years Porsche in the beginning, although I glued them a Little.(because I knew it wouldn´t work).

So you have to test a little bit, how much glue and which you need. I think UHU as mentioned by Coolhands is also a very good idea, when you need to remove it one day to replace the bearings...

Maybe hot glue could work, too.