Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Bigwig vs Boomerang steering

Can somebody who has experience with both tell me if the steering performance of the Boomerang and Bigwig are roughly the same?  I'm very well-versed with the understeer from all the Hot Shots and I've driven a Boomerang which is honestly markedly better. Is the Bigwig equal to or better than the Boomer? I read a review that complained about the Bigwig having understeer but that might but from a modern viewpoint which doesn't concern me. If I pull the trigger on a Bigwig runner, I want it to be at least as good as the Boomerang in the steering department. Thanks.

I raced mine on Sunday morning at my local club,  which is a smallish very bumpy AstroTurf track against modern cars for the last heat of the day. The steering feels fine,  but it does lack steering lock imo. I have been wondering if an extra tooth at each end of the rack could be made to improve things? I have a Boomer too,  and I'm sure it has a bit more lock than the Wig. 

• Like 2

Does the lack of steering lock translate to understeer or a wider turning circle when driven (particularly compared the Boomerang as a baseline )? I'm really on the fence about springing for a Bigwig and only want to get one is its steering performance is noticeably better than the Super/Hot Shot, which I know from experience, the Boomer definitely is.  I have no problems getting a faster/stronger servo to better suit the rack and pinion steering if that's what it takes.

I would say it's more the turning circle,  tyre and suspension setup can help with the overall balance.  As it was cold and damp the tyres probably didn't help much.  I have never tried the turning circles back to back. 

• Like 1

I got my shelfer Boomer and Bigwig out to study them. You're right, the Boomerang has a lot more steering travel. I just can't visualize it being as good as the Boomerang in the steering department with so little lock. My Hot Shot based buggies turn wide enough as is. I don't need another buggy with a wide turning arc (my backyard is relatively tight). The Boomerang I had turned in quite well but I kept getting debris jammed in the steering. I'm afraid I might reluctantly pass on a Bigwig runner...