Sign in to follow this  
dannymulder

hotshot play in rear suspension arms

today I started to build my rere hotshot, when I came to the point of mounting the rear suspension arms I noticed there was a lot of play between the arms and the gearbox I think almost 1mm in the lower and upper arms, I filled the gaps with small washers.

Are al the hotshot kits like this where they drunk when they made the hotshot, I know it is not a high end race kit but I never have seen so much play in a kit.

IMG_20191116_170121.jpg

The tolerance could be better. 

The gear mesh here was a bit too loose. I found that the gears are a bit elliptical, making cyclical noises.  Who knew gears could be lopsided (it's only by a hair).  But it bothered me enough to put in a shim in 2017 --which was full 30 years after this was designed.  

YiYrHsP.jpgedit post 

rL1FqP8.jpg

Even in DN01 Zahhak, the spur gear had about 1.5mm play left to right.  So, by 1987's standard, Hotshot was not that bad.  

I like the pins in those arms.  Cracks can develop from screw pin holes, so what you have there is a good idea.  

Do you have a link for that? 

the pins I used are from a Tamiya 54695 set, they fit perfect in the lower suspension arm and the upper rear suspension arms on the rear gearbox, for the rest of the suspension I have different sizes of  yeah racing pins  they also are a perfect fit.
I know the arms can crack from the srew pins, the first thing I do when I build a tamiya kit is throw away the screw pins and the step screws I never use them the problem I have with them is that they always come loose.

• Thanks 1

There is some play in the kit.  It doesn't affect anything once assembled.  

22 hours ago, dannymulder said:

the pins I used are from a Tamiya 54695 set,

Thank you very much for that.  

I've been lucky in that out of 3 dozen cars, only Hotshot series have cracks developing from the screw pin holes. (oh, and the Fox).  Even with some cracks, they don't seem to take some beating.  But cracks do bother me.  When I replace arms, I'll make sure to use 54695.