Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Bulkhead for Dyna Storm / Blaster / TR-15T (D5, always broken, pain in the ... ))

Hi fellas,

I really want to open a special thread for the D5 bulkhead, which is a really rare part and so often broken, even when you just look at!

We have the black standard plastic ones used at the Storm and Blaster. Also the grey fiber compound for the TR-15T and some 3D printet ones from ORB and Wrenchdog.

Lately I wanted to dye my 3D printet parts and figured out that even this one broke. Okay, it is SLS printed, which means ~2mm wall thickness and hollow (filled with the nylon powder). So maybe MJF print is better for this?!

bulkhead_DB_DS_TR_01.jpg

Or simply adding a LOT of material? I dont mind the +weight, all three models are to heavy at the rear anyway.
  bulkhead_DB_DS_TR_02.jpg

Or simply removing the spikes? Are they so important to give the chassis more stiffness? I dont know too much other model cars which have a simular design but how did they made this parts combination of upper deck and bulkhead?
So many questions in my mind.... :unsure: Its just that I am a bit sick of replacing this part. I guess I am not alone with it.

Have you considered changing material + manufacture method. You could get one milled, either from plastic or aluminium and that might solve the breakages. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GTodd said:

We need a metal version!

Right, but this need a CNC code written.

36 minutes ago, Hobgoblin said:

Have you considered changing material + manufacture method. You could get one milled, either from plastic or aluminium and that might solve the breakages. 

I think full printed objects might be better. I think milling is way more expensive then printing.

How about other buggies like Top Force, Egress and Astute, do they have problems with bulkhead, when it comes to a frontal impact?

The price for this is ridiculous. I already spend too much money for prototyping an spare parts. This is no option yet, or would anyone of you pay 180€ for a bulkhead?

@ralphee

where did you got your alloy bulkhead? Nanobeat or how was it spelled? How much did you pay for it.

I am really curious about...

I am afraid those hobby printer does not satisfy my quality expections. Maybe in a vew years... 

Just thought a bit and I really should figure out if there are any okay 3D printer available for my budget.

Okay, I found a company which is going to make one D5 alloy prototype for me for a "fair" price. I am curious about it : )

Edit: No, price was not fair at the end.

• Like 1

Things changed a lot. I am searching for a company which do CNC milling for a aluminum D5 bulkhead. I sent requests to several companies but its ridiculous. I never did project calculation but to have a reasonable price it need to be at least 20 pieces. I even dont know that many people who would use this parts then. :(

its a bit anoying...

DB211x_D5_proto.jpg

Going to receive this in the next few days. I guess it will NOT break anymore but everything around :D

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 2:49 PM, GTodd said:

We need a metal version!

In 1993 I had a new tr15t , when those parts breaking I soon had enough so I managed to get the back ones made up in alloy at a little engineering first I knew, the front part I couldn't get made but it rarely  broke  so I didn't pursue getting someone to make it etc 
all these years later Ive just bought a another Tr15T so this thread might come in handy down the line. 

• Like 1

Xmas myself : ) This is it. Still uses brass bushes inserts. Bulletproof, I d say. :wub:

D5_bulk_DB211x_02.jpg

D5_bulk_DB211x_03.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks and to you too! Still some small presents in the pipeline ;)

One good thing, the bulkhead weights 39g and now I dont need any extra weights...

• Like 2

This is a really good replacement part.
Where can I find it please?

Max

• Like 1