Sign in to follow this  
graemevw

Novus plastic polish

Can anyone give me any info on this? Ive seen it mentioned and im trying to decide if its worth the cost for me.

What can it be used on? Any coloured or clear hard body plastics? What about lexan? Are all 3 compounds needed for general use or can the heavy scratch remover be left out?

Is it as good as people say or is there cheaper options?

I have loads of various metal polishes but they always leave clear plastic a little swirly with fine scratches. Would just the final novus polish then rectify that?

Thanks.

Strangely I was about to ask this exact same question!!!! My latest purchase that arrived yesterday was a Sand Rover with coloured plastic body that a I dont intend on painting but wondered if I could polish to a gloss finish.

• Like 1

I've used it on hard body paints for color sanding after working up from 1000g thru 2000g sand paper.  It works well, and a little bit goes a long way. 

9 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

I've used it on hard body paints for color sanding after working up from 1000g thru 2000g sand paper.  It works well, and a little bit goes a long way. 

You can use it on paint too?!

Dis you use all 3 grades after flatting?

I wouldnt bother with this stuff.  I bought it over the summer to try and clean up the plastics on an old ATV and it was disappointing to say the least.  You'll be better off using a true compound/polish, especially if working on a painted surface.   It does do well with clear plastics, but still no better than a true compound.  I would recommend Meguiars 105/205 combo, will outperform Novus every single time an ony plastic or painted surface.

• Like 1

Never found anything better than the 3 grades of Tamiya plastic polish with the right cloths / sponges 

Esp on clear finishes 

Everything else is frankly better use for metal - where, to be fair, Tamiya stuff isn’t abrasive enough 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, graemevw said:

You can use it on paint too?!

Dis you use all 3 grades after flatting?

Yes I did.  I learned you could use it on paint at the tamiyabase forums. 

Googling a bit more it seems if you want to polish unpainted plastic then try tooth paste.

Even of it doesnt work a least it will be minty fresh although not sure what it will do to the stickers. Might experiment...

The main things id want to use it on is clear windows so micro scratches are my main concern.

Ill try everything ive already got and see where that leaves it. 

Ooohh if its clear plastic you want to polish i know something you can use

Need to ask my old man as he used to used somethinf at work specifically for polishing plastic lenses

Will update when i found out wlhat it was

have you tried the meguiars line?

although meguiars plastx is the recommended product for clear plastic, i prefer meguiars scratchx. works a bit faster for me. gotta be careful though as you can polish through the clearcoat.

G12310_1024x1024.jpg

I havent tried that, no.

I just gave them an initial go over with some G3. They need more work, but it will do the bulk of it i think. Just then need to see if i have anything that will restore a super clear, micro scratch free finish. I have some jewelers rouge that may do it but that tends to need quite an agressive mechanical action to work.

This is the stuff - it was brilliant at removing scratches and swirls from clear plastics. It was like shaving foam that as it started to dry was very slightly abrasive.

Sadly looks like its discontinued - that tins probably about 20 years old

874_IMG_20191118_171216.jpg

• Like 1

Novus is excellent. I started using it on pinball playfields and plastics, and have used it on Lexan, lacquer, and styrene.

• Like 1