F-150

Cheap brand radios

Any pistol radios out there other than Futaba and all the name brands, that are good?   I'm looking for a cheap unit to throw in my BlackFoot Xtreme, but I don't know how much I will actually use it....so..... don't want to spend a fortune on some high tech, computer radio.   2 channel, solid and reliable is all I'm looking for.   Looking at this, with receiver, but 44 dollars I expect it to be about RTR quality, which aren't actually bad.  https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXLNCU&P=0

Thanks, and post up your favorite, cheap radio systems.

I don't personally use them, but a lot of people like Flysky for inexpensive R/C radio gear.

• Thanks 1

You can do a lot better for not much more. Look into Flysky/Turnigy GT5

• Thanks 1

I use the GoolRC TG3 pistolgrip sets form Aliexpress.

I have 2 transmitters (1 for Tamiya models, 1 for Marui) and each of my drivable/finished  car has its own receiver.

A transmitter/reciever set is 20 to 25 euros, a seperate receiver 5 euros.

These have been perfect and reliable from day 1 for me.

• Thanks 1

Flysky GT3C.  

You can get one for $37 - $45 on ebay.  Cheap and reliable with more functions than brand name stuff.  You can get an extra receiver for $7 each, and equip 9 more cars.  I switched over from all these old Futabas and Tamiyas, and haven't looked back.  

A3Mozog.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flysky/Hobbyking

Simple GT-2E

With car setup memory GT3b/GT3c

Receivers come cheap and you bind the transmitter to the receiver so unlimited cars to one TX.

The GT3's can be software hacked for more setup memory and more channels.

Also some hardware hacks available.

• Thanks 1

I'm a Futaba fanboy and pretty much can't go wrong with those, but for this Blackfoot, an expensive radio is not needed. I checked out some of the FlySky units as mentioned and am impressed with the FS-GT-5. Seems fantastic, but I will use it in my Blackfoot for a while until I gain trust in it, then use it in my more expensive boat and other RC when I trust it.  Read all good things about it, and 65 dollars....well....I will have to get over the "get what you pay for" thing.... as I don't expect much for reliability. I'm willing to take the chance...  Thanks, everyone....

• Like 1

So is there a flysky stick transmitter? Had a quick look and there's the i6 which has 6 channels but sticks will move all directions.

• Like 1

There are only very few "real" stick radios out there. "Real" means that the sticks don't move in all directions.

You can choose between:

Absima SR2S (recommended)
Carson Reflex Stick 3.x
Futaba T2HR (recommended)

These are rather basic, have no memory to support more than 1 model, and they don't feature individual left/right EPA.

Then there is a big gap, as there is no mid-priced stick radio available from any manufacturer.

Next option is the Fuatba T4GRS, which supports up to 40 cars and hast lots of features, including individual left/right EPA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carrera124 said:

There are only very few "real" stick radios out there. "Real" means that the sticks don't move in all directions.

You can choose between:

Absima SR2S (recommended)
Carson Reflex Stick 3.x
Futaba T2HR (recommended)

These are rather basic, have no memory to support more than 1 model, and they don't feature individual left/right EPA.

Then there is a big gap, as there is no mid-priced stick radio available from any manufacturer.

Next option is the Fuatba T4GRS, which supports up to 40 cars and hast lots of features, including individual left/right EPA.

Yeah I noticed the gap in stick transmitters. Either £30, 40, £50 then jumps up to £150, £300 upwards. Looks like I may have to go for pistol then to get the choice.

• Like 1

I think it's about time somebody makes guide plates.  They have them for RC tanks and 3 speeds, don't they?  I suppose I could make one out of cardboard, but that'd be so ugly.  Maybe out of white styrene plates.  

nRL3USg.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I did indeed, but only for flysky fs-i6. @graemevw came up with a way of stopping the gimbles on the i6 using some fiddling on the inside, but i can't find the thread. 

Ill find it.

But, there are 2 springs already in the fs i6 so you can move them to wherever you want, making the sticks return like a normal 2ch. Then i just drilled 2 small holes and put in two small screws to stop the movement i didnt want. Was quick and easy. Once its apart its reasonably obvious what needs to be done.

3 hours ago, graemevw said:

Ill find it.

But, there are 2 springs already in the fs i6 so you can move them to wherever you want, making the sticks return like a normal 2ch. Then i just drilled 2 small holes and put in two small screws to stop the movement i didnt want. Was quick and easy. Once its apart its reasonably obvious what needs to be done.

Wow, next question is, do you still use the FS i6 and what do you think of it?

2 hours ago, Oneball1971 said:

Wow, next question is, do you still use the FS i6 and what do you think of it?

Yes i do, i think it's great!

Cheap, loads of features and syper cheap receivers.

Radiopost radios are cheap and work well, without the excessive latency of the FlySky units. They have better ergonomics, too.

If you already have a Futaba, why not just grab another receiver?

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

Radiopost radios are cheap and work well, without the excessive latency of the FlySky units. They have better ergonomics, too.

While I use Futaba for the toys that I race, I switched most of my bashers and collection over to FlySky GT-3B/C radios a while ago. The main issue with using the Futaba on a large collection is you end up spending a small fortune on just receivers, where you can get a GT-3B/C and 9 more receivers for around the cost of a single RS603FF receiver. The GT-3 does not perform as well as a 3PM/3PK, but good enough is good enough for what I have them in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Jon said:

It's a very old Magnum Sport A.M  So it has no multiple model memory or anything, just two channels straight up.  I figured I'd get the Flysky and use it on all my RTR boats and my Blackfoot Xtreme. Latency eh?....I hope it's not really enough to be annoying.  It was cheap, so if it sucks....I'll just sell it off for 65 dollars(what I payed) and throw in the three receivers I also ordered with it.  If it is really bad I will take my loss and invest in a modern Futaba.  probably should of anyways.  

5 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Before today, I've never heard of that brand "Radiopost".

But I cannot find any new items - looks as if they are out of business?