Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

2 models. Should i switch the esc and motors?

Not long had my 1st model, went with a VX-01 Lancia. Read a little so thought best to upgrade straight away from the supplied kit motor. I got a HW 1060 esc and a 15T Etronix  and 7.2v NiMh. I enjoy the car and it does not seem slow, would not say really fast but its my first car so hard to gauge.

So then I fancied something for the grass, not a buggy fan so settled on a Blitzer beetle, just liked the looks and see a YT vid of a really fast one.

I planned to put the esc and motor from the VX-01 into the Blitzer and the NiMh`s. I thought I would then jump to BL in the VX-01. So I bought the Absima eco thrust combo,then get 2s or 3s cells.

Here is the thing, The esc/motor combo is not a great fit, the leads are about 1 inch too short to meet on the esc/motor AND the esc is too tall for the compartment lid to fit.

I was thinking just to keep the VX-01 as is and bung the BL combo in the Blitzer,using 2s or 3s.  Will it be up to the motor/esc combo?

Am I going the right way OR should I just hack the wires and run with no compartment lid in the VX-01

Would lke to hear some opinions please,when it comes to the power side of the hobby I am out my depth,thanks.

Just get another set on ESC/motor combo to save you from the hassle of transferring them from time to time in case you want to run the XV-01 again. No need to extend wires too. Combos are very heap now. Also, upgrade your battery to Lipo and ditch the NiMh batt. Longer run time, better life span too.

That abisma brushless system is the same as the hobbywing base model sensorless brushless. It’s actually a pretty darn powerful, it dramatically outperforms a 10.5t sensored system In terms of outright wheelie popping torque and power. The performance is very similar to Traxxas’s velineon system. 

Being a sensorless setup I think that motor really better suits the blitzer beetle much more than the XV01, the gearbox and car will be fine provided you do not fit big heavy grippy tires. Try to stick to more moderately weighted/grippy tires.  I would start out with the lightest gearing, if the motor isn’t super hot after a run you can gear it higher and will get both more torque and speed. 

(Proline badlands are an example of a heavy overly grippy tire, that will probably cause that motor combo to wear the drivetrain and other components faster than desired.)  

(Something like Louise 2.8 ST (not MT) uphill would be a good compromise)  

As for the XV01, I suggest you find a 2S lipo that will fit inside both the blitzer beetle and the xv01. That won’t be easy as both cars are tricky fitment. You’ll need something fairly slim and small over something big. Suggest something around 4000mah+ minimum 20C. 

why go to 7.4v 2S lipo over your 7.2v nimh? Outright performance, run time and less weight. 

your probably thinking but it’s only .2v more? Actually a 7.4v lipo fully charged runs at well over 8V performance wise it’s equivalent to a 8.4V nimh in voltage, but the current draw capability of the lipo is superior so it feels dramatically more powerful. You’ll get more power, more torque and more RPM. 

simply put switching to lipo is going to give you probably a 20% boost on your current setup in the XV01. Might tide you over till you can afford a nice sensored brushless system for it. 

some food for thought. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Gazzalene said:

Not long had my 1st model, went with a VX-01 Lancia. Read a little so thought best to upgrade straight away from the supplied kit motor. I got a HW 1060 esc and a 15T Etronix  and 7.2v NiMh. I enjoy the car and it does not seem slow, would not say really fast but its my first car so hard to gauge.

So then I fancied something for the grass, not a buggy fan so settled on a Blitzer beetle, just liked the looks and see a YT vid of a really fast one.

I planned to put the esc and motor from the VX-01 into the Blitzer and the NiMh`s. I thought I would then jump to BL in the VX-01. So I bought the Absima eco thrust combo,then get 2s or 3s cells.

Here is the thing, The esc/motor combo is not a great fit, the leads are about 1 inch too short to meet on the esc/motor AND the esc is too tall for the compartment lid to fit.

I was thinking just to keep the VX-01 as is and bung the BL combo in the Blitzer,using 2s or 3s.  Will it be up to the motor/esc combo?

Am I going the right way OR should I just hack the wires and run with no compartment lid in the VX-01

Would lke to hear some opinions please,when it comes to the power side of the hobby I am out my depth,thanks.

I don't have a Blitzer, although one is on my 'want' list. Is it this brushless setup you have?

https://www.absima.shop/RC-ACCESSORIES/RC-Electronic/Brushless-Motor-ESC/Brushless-Combo-Set-Thrust-BL-ECO-1-10.htm?shop=absima_en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=2120002&t=19114&c=19130&p=19130

Looks like the motor is rated at 10T. The specs say 11T off road for 2S and 14T off road for 3S

Personally I'd suspect 3S would be way too much power in a Blitzer and likely to end in tears. 2S might work quite nice however and be more than speedy, although you may need to watch heat buildup off road, but suspect it'll be ok.

As for your VX-01, space is tight in these, so you'll likely need to extend wires, either through plug in wire extensions or soldering. The brushless system will work well in such a car IMO. Although you may find a 15T a little lack luster in the Blitzer.

I run a VX-01T which is the truck version of platform, called Asterion. I use this ESC/motor combo in mine in a 9T form:

https://www.skyrc.com/Leopard

It runs really well and is more than fast enough IMO. Never ran it on 3S and wouldn't, 2S is plenty. Although I would say sensorless setups are not as smooth on the throttle and much more on/off feeling compared to brushed or sensored setups.

I would image your 10T setup would go quite similar. Not the best vid and not really demonstrating top speed, but maybe give you an idea: