TheDano

TGS-R Compatibility

Hi, I am both new to Tamiya Club and to RC in general. A few months ago, a good friend of mine gifted me an old RC car with a Nitro engine that he had in his father´s basement. Needless to say, I am very grateful for this and I have started to do a restoration. I think he would be happy when I show him that I took care of it and repaired it.

The car is in great shape but it needs a few replacement parts. It has been very difficult to find any information about compatibility with newer models. The TT01 chassis looks very similar to the TGS-R but I would like to be sure if it is compatible before I order some parts. Does anyone know if these two chassis are compatible? are there other parts from another chassis that might fit? 

These questions goes for everything except the engine, which I believe is in good condition but I will know better once I actually get to it.

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1

The TGS chassis shares many parts with the original TT-01. Its mainly the gearbox ends, suspensions arms and the uprights. The "centre" part of the car is unique to the TGS and TGS-R chassis however the main drive shaft is also compatible. This obviously means a lot of the Hop Ups are also compatible.

The engines were the FS-12SS in the TGS and the FS-12SW in the TGS-R. No real difference between them other than the carb was modified with another needle adjustment giving the engine slightly more power. Parts are available in general but the TGS cars tend to get thrashed so pistons wear out. Recoil strings break. The other main issue is they get taken apart poorly and put back together poorly so they tend to leak.

Shock mounts break on the car when they are run without bodies and crash and the fuel tank primer is often snapped.

I have all the cars in this range and lots of spare parts. Shout if you need help.

If you order TT-01 parts for the TGS just be sure you don't get the brittle plastic TT-01 parts. Whilst they fit and will work they wont hold up to a crash at speed!

Oh, and we all love a good picture!

• Like 1

If the front gearbox casings and the shock towers are the same as a TT01, go for TT01E-parts. They're WAY stronger than TT01 parts. 

• Like 1