mikeAS

Marui Ninja FD fault

I have a 1/14 scale Marui Ninja FD 2wd R/C Car.

When switched on in the correct order (transmitter before car), the car motor starts working immediately, and the transmitter operations seem erratic and variable.

The front wheels respond to the steering, but keep moving back and forth slightly when steering input is stopped.

Forward speed doesn't vary with the controller, and reverse input will eventually bring the driving wheels to a stop, but not reverse.

Can anyone offer assistance? The local r/c shop had a sharp intake of breath (!) and suggested it needed a new receiver board, new steering servo, new battery box, and

that a new car would be far cheaper.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Hi Mike!

Sounds like some frequency interfering with that. What radio are you using your Ninja with? Now BEFORE spending your hard earned cash try another receiver with it if you have another one around. Let us know how that works with your car. Also, check your aerials (both, the one in the receiver and the one in the transmitter) ;)

I assume you have fully charged batteries in both car and transmitter ? . Did the car run properly at any time that you have owned it ? . Is the transmitter the right one for the car ? . Are the TX and RX crystals changeable ? . I have Tamiya 1/14th quick drives with PCB's in them and they can get twitchy . Make sure you fully entend the TX ariel and try not to run the car near other electrical items , ie indoors , have you tried it outside ? . Check the ariel on the car and a quick look at the PCB to see if there are any obvious loose connections , Check car and TX battery springs for green corrosion from battery leakage .

14 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Hi Mike!

Sounds like some frequency interfering with that. What radio are you using your Ninja with? Now BEFORE spending your hard earned cash try another receiver with it if you have another one around. Let us know how that works with your car. Also, check your aerials (both, the one in the receiver and the one in the transmitter) ;)

I am using the transmitter and receiver PCB that came with the car when new. I have 'inherited' the car from my kids, and was going to give it to a friend's child for Xmas.

I don't have another transmitter or receiver.

Both aerials appear undamaged in any way.

5 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I assume you have fully charged batteries in both car and transmitter ? . Did the car run properly at any time that you have owned it ? . Is the transmitter the right one for the car ? . Are the TX and RX crystals changeable ? . I have Tamiya 1/14th quick drives with PCB's in them and they can get twitchy . Make sure you fully entend the TX ariel and try not to run the car near other electrical items , ie indoors , have you tried it outside ? . Check the ariel on the car and a quick look at the PCB to see if there are any obvious loose connections , Check car and TX battery springs for green corrosion from battery leakage .

Yes, brand new Mallory Duracell batteries throughout.

I have 'inherited' the car from my kids, and was going to give it to a friend's child for Xmas. It worked perfectly when the kids were using it some time ago now.

The transmitter is the one that came with the car when new.

The TX and RX crystals are changeable, both are orange, band 3.

I'll try it outside tomorrow.

No evidence of loose connections.

All battery contacts are clean and free from corrosion, etc.

18 hours ago, mikeAS said:

Yes, brand new Mallory Duracell batteries throughout.

I have 'inherited' the car from my kids, and was going to give it to a friend's child for Xmas. It worked perfectly when the kids were using it some time ago now.

The transmitter is the one that came with the car when new.

The TX and RX crystals are changeable, both are orange, band 3.

I'll try it outside tomorrow.

No evidence of loose connections.

All battery contacts are clean and free from corrosion, etc.

I've now tried it outside in the garden, and in a local 'park' area; and there is no change in its behaviour.