Losi XXT-CR

Anyone built a Schumacher Top Cat?

These are slightly before I started RC racing. But look kind of cool still and a lot cheaper than the Cat XLS. Can’t seem to find much written about them though. Couple of reviews from a US store slating them. 

Anyone here got one? How usable are they?

• Like 1

I have a re re Schumacher Top Cat with Pro Transmission, Alloy Eccentrics and Alloy Front Shock Rocker. The Pro Transmission allows the use of a powerful Reedy 10.5 motor. Combined with a LRP sphere competition speed controller, a LCG shorty lipo and a low profile servo the buggy is fantastic to drive. I was a bit sceptical about the front shock system during assembly, but I was really surprised how great the system works. I can recommend this buggy if you also like the Cat xls. Schumacher buggies have their own flair and you either like them or not. I'm a fan of the Cat xls and the Top Cat belongs to the family. It is a remarkably good 2wd buggy.

Yep had one on pre order  when it re appeared and its probably the best running rc car I have the pro transmission is a must if running brushless+lipo 

20181231_092837.jpg

• Like 3

I am still trying to figure out how to get the rear wing on, its a POS, need 4 hands to twist the strap and insert the pin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Reedydriver said:

:lol:  If you magnify my wing, you'll see it's screwed into place. I didn't make it with the elastic band either.

Me to! What were schumacher thinking with that elastic band twist fit through a hole which is clearly way to small thing:wacko::blink:..........nah just screw it on

• Like 2

did you use anything special to screw fix the wing,

I had another go at it last night and its driving me nuts 

The wing is tricky at first but easy when you know how. 

The manual doesn't explain it well! What I do is 'pre fold' the o ring and fit it in place, see my photo below 

20191124_205516.thumb.jpg.5fb057515a2212d68e3cabb57533979f.jpg

Get the slot for the pin lined up with the holes on the male part the push the pin in. 

Takes about 30 seconds to do if you're being careful, hard to explain though!

4 hours ago, Reedydriver said:

That's how I did it.

IMG_20191126_190205.jpg

Mine is basically the same!

• Like 1

Does the pro Tranny make that much difference? If I’m just running 540 cans in vintage races will it make that much difference?

I did few years ago. Horrible car to build using self tappers where you would normally use fine thread M3 screws, steering that’s worse than the 88 Avante! Under tray doesn’t line up with the hole marks to drill out. They could have refined it instead they copied and pasted as is from 1987. Only nice thing was that they now use posi screws instead of flat head.

9AF8B90D-261C-4688-A912-01DBDE161646.jpeg

On 11/21/2019 at 8:17 AM, Losi XXT-CR said:

These are slightly before I started RC racing. But look kind of cool still and a lot cheaper than the Cat XLS. Can’t seem to find much written about them though. Couple of reviews from a US store slating them. 

Anyone here got one? How usable are they?

I've built the re re and they are fantastic.  Awesome build and much simpler than the xls (built that and it too was awesome). They are two of the best cars I have ever driven. The top cat seems like it would handle below par looking at how soft the front suspension is but it just works. Jumps fantastically and so good to drive.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:30 PM, Lhodgo said:

Does the pro Tranny make that much difference? If I’m just running 540 cans in vintage races will it make that much difference?

Nope. It's mainly for high torque brushless motors

I have the pro transmission in both the cat xls and the pro cat. For the cat xls I first used the kit transmission and installed a 10.5 brushless. Even though the belt was under tension, it kept clicking while accelerating. This was quite disappointing as I had high expectations for this buggy. Quickly ordered and installed the pro transmission and voila: a perfect buggy. The belt can now be loose, I can also install stronger motors if I want, no more clicking, just pure fantastic acceleration! A real pleasure!

For this reason I directly installed the pro transmission in the pro cat. It just works great and you can use whatever motor you like.

Do I need to change to the pro trans when using a Reedy Radon 17 turn(brushed) on the XLS and Top Cat?

11 minutes ago, kid168 said:

Do I need to change to the pro trans when using a Reedy Radon 17 turn on the XLS and Top Cat?

i would say yes if looking at the correct motor its 3600kv so that's close to 9.5/10.5 brushless.

Thinking of getting a Top Cat. Just had a query regarding battery. I intend to run it with a NIMH. The manual states a ‘period NIMH without end caps’. Not sure if my modern 7.2v stick NIMH fits this description. Clarification would be appreciated 

I haven’t got one, but they probably mean it won’t fit. When you used to race nimh you would solder your own bars to loose batteries, with the batteries sideways next to each other, so I guess the final result was shorter than the type you buy with plastic end caps which have the batteries ‘end on’ to each other. Maybe someone can confirm.

Race style:

spacer.png

end on:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Nova1 said:

Thinking of getting a Top Cat. Just had a query regarding battery. I intend to run it with a NIMH. The manual states a ‘period NIMH without end caps’. Not sure if my modern 7.2v stick NIMH fits this description. Clarification would be appreciated 

I found out when I built my cat xls that the bigger the mah the bigger the battery and the xls can only fit the smaller of them and the battery cage for the topcat looks identical (please correct me if I'm wrong if they are different)