Jonnythefox87

Second truck recommendations

So I have a lunchbox which I'm upgrading and having lots of fun with in the process, but I'm planning on buying a second truck. I'll list the contenders below, I would like some advice from anyone who has greater knowledge or owns one of them already, feel free to add any other recommendations into the mix....... 

Monster beetle, blackfoot (any variant), clod buster (any variant), king cab, hilux monster racer

I'm not a buggy fan, I very much prefer monster trucks in terms of looks and I accept they'll never be racers but I'm not a racer anyway! 

I'm not a purist in anyway shape or form, it will be bashed about so I'm happy with re re's, and I'm sure this will influence the price. I don't want to spend a fortune on the kit and spare parts/hop ups so I want something that's fairly easy to get parts for

It needs to be upgradable in terms of more power, my lunchbox currently has a 13.5 brushless motor in it with no issues from the gearbox so I'd like to run something similar in the next truck I buy

Finally it needs to be lowish maintenance, my lunchbox is easy to maintain and I don't get huge amounts of spare time that often where I can do rebuilds or anything like that

Thank you in advance

I have a Lunchbox. I also have a Konghead. The Konghead is fun, but not such a speedy machine. The 4 wheel steering is fantastic but makes it less stable on some terrain. I run a 13.5T brushless in mine (my lunch box is running a 12x6 brushed racing motor and ESC). 

I rather fancy a Clod myself, or rather a Bull Head. But I wouldn’t call them cheap. Over double the price of some of the others. Which is why I don’t have one. 

The Black Foot/Monster Beetle look great. But being 2wd I wonder if they would just be a bit too similar to a Lunchbox, albeit with better suspension. The clicking gearboxes also put me off. 

Not so much of a “monster” but I have the Blitzer Beetle at the top of my Tamiya list currently. It’s a Stadium Truck. But should take more power well and handle well too and allow you to cover similar terrain to a monster truck. 

Unfortunately none of the contenders you have listed tick all the boxes in terms of your requirements. They either need upgrading to handle the sort of power you want to run, and/or are expensive, and/or are hard to find parts for. 

There is a Tamiya truck that I think will tick all your boxes though. The DT-03T Aqroshot is cheaper than any of the options you listed and is dead easy to find parts for, being the truck variant of the popular DT-03 buggy. 13.5t brushless power suits it very well - that it's what I run in mine. Finally, while more advanced than a Lunchbox, it is still simple and low-maintenance - apart from a dusting off after running, mine hasn't needed anything done to it since I built it.

Admittedly the stock tyres don't do it any favours in terms of looks or performance, but it works very well with Lunchbox/Mad Bull ones:

2019-11-24_12-12-19 2019-11-24_12-13-01

• Like 3

I'll second the Blitzer beetle. Stick a 3500-4500kv brushless combo in it and have a blast.

My heart tells me that the King Cab/Hilux is the right choice- if we get a re-release this year. They were really neat trucks, and very attractive.

Clods are cool and all, but I've never been impressed by their performance unless heavily modified.

A lightly modified Blackfoot/Monster Beetle would probably check all of your boxes, especially if you set it up as a circa-1988 racer, with a ball diff, Lexan body, good tires and JG-style shock mounts.

• Like 1

It's all personal choice and your lunchbox was a brilliant first choice 👍 I agree with the blitzer beetle and yes it isn't really a monster truck but good fun with a hot motor in it! But then again I personally love the monster beetle but a ball diff is a must with anything past the sport tuned, I was always disappointed with the clod buster looks the business but all goes down hill (so to speak) when you use it and it's one of those builds I didn't enjoy and I've built a few of them over the years and I've never changed my mind and quite expensive for what they actually are (IMO) the monster beetle on the other had is easy to build and just looks so funky followed very closely by the black foot! 

20190901_125831.jpg

• Like 4

Lunchbox is a gem & hard to beat on price/ fun factor. 

What you need next is one of these

This

Wheelie machine (like the LB) but 4WD so it does forward somersaults on brake, it’s a great fun build and there’s a few variants to check out... HEAVY DUMP TRUCK is so cool! 

• Like 3

Anything on a blitzer chassis is fun. Stadium Thunder, Beetle or stadium blitzer. Ive got a Biltzer chassis with an uncut Stadioum Thunder bodyset if your interested. Failing that I think the original Blckfoot has the best proportions. Personal opinion:o

2 hours ago, moffman said:

It's all personal choice and your lunchbox was a brilliant first choice 👍 I agree with the blitzer beetle and yes it isn't really a monster truck but good fun with a hot motor in it! But then again I personally love the monster beetle but a ball diff is a must with anything past the sport tuned, I was always disappointed with the clod buster looks the business but all goes down hill (so to speak) when you use it and it's one of those builds I didn't enjoy and I've built a few of them over the years and I've never changed my mind and quite expensive for what they actually are (IMO) the monster beetle on the other had is easy to build and just looks so funky followed very closely by the black foot! 

20190901_125831.jpg

Monster beetle was always the one I really wanted as a kid, probably cos I was a massive herbie fan! So apart from the ball diff upgrade are there any other ' must haves' upgrades?  The clod buster seems like it's a beast to look at but has limited room for upgrading..... Plus it's double the price 🙄

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Anything on a blitzer chassis is fun. Stadium Thunder, Beetle or stadium blitzer. Ive got a Biltzer chassis with an uncut Stadioum Thunder bodyset if your interested. Failing that I think the original Blckfoot has the best proportions. Personal opinion:o

You're in Croxley green?! That's literally 5 mins away from where I live!!! Small world

How much would the blitzer you've got set me back? If I'm honest I'm looking a few months down the line so I'm just researching as much as anything

4 minutes ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

How much would the blitzer you've got set me back? If I'm honest I'm looking a few months down the line so I'm just researching as much as anything

I've sent you a pm

1 hour ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

Monster beetle was always the one I really wanted as a kid, probably cos I was a massive herbie fan! So apart from the ball diff upgrade are there any other ' must haves' upgrades?  The clod buster seems like it's a beast to look at but has limited room for upgrading..... Plus it's double the price 🙄

Obviously full bearings goes without saying! I like mine to look as original as possible But my red MB in the photo also has the re-re frog/brat rear dogbones and cups because I had big trouble with the original Uj's vibrating (badly) but the black MB Uj's are perfectly smooth other than that the ball diff enables you to put a brushless combo and lipo in it and trust me it's a blast (literally) just!........get an extra body and mounts!

I would recommend a blitzer variant, good value. 

Also the heavy dump truck is awesome, I wouldn't mind a second one!