Problemchild

1987 Clod Buster rebuild

The fatty clod shell has had about 5 Cora of primer and sanding between and it’s come up really well

UMPJZyz.jpg

jH9dmie.jpg
HXrTksT.jpg

considering the state it was in and had clearly been painted with something like black exterior gloss paint - I’m really happy.

both shells are looking great now, as are the extra panels

just need to order some red paint (tempted just to match it with non tamiya BUT really want these both to be excellent clods)

think I’ll also order a 2nd set of MCI decals if I’m going to sell it as a lovely refurbished version. 

JJ

Was almost ready to lay down the red when decided to try and remove the mould marks on the new shell

HYFlZ3O.jpg

these mould lines run along between the bonnet and the wing, up the a-pillar, along the roof line, down the back of the cab then along the edge of the truck bed sides

i used a scalpel to remove the sharp edges  and skim the Roof surface.

zQNpR0n.jpg

followed up with some sanding and then another coat of primer.

given the crazy price of the tamiya paints, I’ve gone for some bright red plasticote which you get 400ml for less than 100ml of ts-8

JJ

Nice!  Have you thought about filling in the lines that run through the front fenders?

Did Tamiya base the rc off that?  Or did someone base that off the Tamiya?  Either way,  you have a point.  It was present back then.  Is that actually a 1:1 truck in the pic?

I was simply thinking that in general,  this generation of Chevy trucks did not come with split fenders like that.  So technically,  that line in the fender is wrong for the truck,  but correct for the Clod.  So,  seeing as how you are doing stock Clod livery,  keep the line.  I am not doing stock Clod livery,  so I am planning on filling in the line.

Keep up the good work!  I am looking forward to seeing yours done! 

Dunno ;)

I’ve looked at the pickups of the day and they don’t have

im assuming because it’s a big Vehicle so was made of glass fibre body and had a removable front end 

JJ

If its like most of them from that era,  it is a fiberglass tilt front end.  That was very popular back then to do to your show truck.

So getting close to finishing the one I’m gonna be selling (I started by describing it as the rubbish one but it’s actually looking great)

8CUOAYR.jpg

started at the rear - looks yummy 

I decided to use the soapy water technique for applying the decals - primarily because of the big flat surfaces. 

for the sides I kept the decals in 1 piece and if needed to, cut the gaps on the car. This helped alignment

qtEymlc.jpg

DpZeohj.jpg

for the door decals I cut around then as much as I could to minimise the excess clear areas.

1pS0Huo.jpg

J5B6Wwe.jpg

just refurbing the rollover and spots which will have new KC stickers

also have an idea for a 3D printed bed liner that won’t be anywhere near as much as the shapeways one 

so this shell will go on my slightly dusty chassis 

the other shell will go on the “brand new” stripped and cleaned to within an inch of its life chassis 

MHDtMgU.jpg

new shell is on the left and I’m slowly building the layers with a light sand between 

JJ

Now all the decals are on I’ll add some paint to the bits of the car that need highlighting such as the door handles and locks, window gutter, indicators etc 

This will make a great clod for someone :)

For the one I’ll keep I’m also gonna refurb the old rollover bars so I have an optional setup

this will be all in matte black with an led lightbar - with matching matte black bumpers and hood intake 

IsVZslX.jpg

Love the clod - it’s HUUUUGE 

JJ

3 coats of white primer on the roll cage

1A2J9S3.jpg

plus don’t some “brightwork”

6PHknLi.jpg

ETkVM43.jpg

ropbEfD.jpg

will add some metallic silver over the top 

JJ

• Like 2

I'm not reading this thread because I really don't want a clodbuster, not at all... never have never will, the end! 

Not interested in the slightest. 

Well maybe a bit. 

Clodbuster ordered 🙄

• Haha 2

@svenbHahahahahahaha - I have 2 because.....

erm......

.......hangs head in shame

my name is JJ and I’m a clod-a-holic

Well tonight I’ve added a metallic paint over the matte grey brightwork and painted the indicators 

5QSTmkG.jpg

kKNpRVx.jpg

this one will be for sale soon 

JJ

• Like 3

Designed and built a bed liner for the clod with help from a friend

think it looks awesome 

0YVkVob.jpg

thoughts?

just gonna go through 1 more redesign to lift the bed off the truck a few mm to cover the body mounts and screws 

and it will come with or without a hole for an aerial (for analogue or digital Rx)

JJ

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Designed and built a bed liner for the clod with help from a friend

think it looks awesome 

0YVkVob.jpg

thoughts?

just gonna go through 1 more redesign to lift the bed off the truck a few mm to cover the body mounts and screws 

and it will come with or without a hole for an aerial (for analogue or digital Rx)

JJ

Looks fantastic, pics of it fitted?

• Like 1

Sorry to invade your thread but what is the difference between a Clod and a Super Clod. They're not really my bag but good modelling is always worth following;) There seems to be a sudden increase in Clod action.

Super ClodBuster is the re re of the clod design but with the blue suspension and new design decals, hood intake and chrome wheels

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-trucks/rc-super-clod-buster/

Super clodbuster black edition has a black shell and red suspension parts like the original 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-trucks/rc-super-clod-buster-2/

the clodbuster is a red shelled beast with original Clodbuster decals and white wheels and stopped being made early 90s

https://radiocontrol.fandom.com/wiki/Tamiya_Clod_Buster

and the original clod Buster like mine was linked to Chevrolet and for a limited time had Chevy front and rear panels 

JJ

• Thanks 1

So apart from colour, hood intake and licencing they are to all intense and purposes the same.

Test fitted the matte black roll replacement for the chrome With LED light bar

welcome your thoughts (this is just an optional fit to the clod)

O7EpYXq.jpg

w9fArEQ.jpg

WrrC5SY.jpg

6vNFJ3m.jpg

UdRUW7V.jpg

9CYbIpy.jpg

JJ

• Like 2

I think it looks really good with the black!!  At the very least on par with the original chrome.