Sign in to follow this  
TurnipJF

Dogbones 2mm longer than 51216?

Does anybody know the part number for a pair of dogbones that would be 2mm or so longer than part 51216?

(51216 is used by cars such as the TA-05, CC-01 and WR-02CB, and is either 46 or 48mm depending on which source you read and how you measure it.)

I don't think there is a 50mm dog bone made by tamiya, Xray maybe🤔

Curious now! What's it for? Is there another solution like longer suspension blocks? 

Measuring is the problem.  Some of these Chinese sellers measure end to end, some center of stubs to the other center. 

Hopefully these won't be same as what you already have.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2P-50mm-Aluminum-Dogbone-Drive-Shaft-for-HPI-RS4-SPORT3-RC1-10-On-Road-Car-Black/223231171173?hash=item33f99d5a65:g:gUkAAOSwtjhb6SZ7

51216 are 45mm between center of pins, if I measured it correctly

50939, used on TA05IFS, should be ~48mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, svenb said:

I don't think there is a 50mm dog bone made by tamiya, Xray maybe🤔

Curious now! What's it for? Is there another solution like longer suspension blocks? 

The dogbones are for this, my slightly wider than usual G6-01:

2019-11-26_08-41-05

It has been fitted with WR-02CB suspension arms and dogbones. While the dogbones work okay on the middle axle, the ones on the steering axles can pop out on sharp turns. I have stopped this from happening by putting o-rings in the diff outdrives to keep the dogbones in the axle cups, but I can't help thinking that a better solution would be dogbones that were a smidgen longer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Honza said:

51216 are 45mm between center of pins, if I measured it correctly

50939, used on TA05IFS, should be ~48mm

Those sound ideal - not easy to come by though judging by a quick eBay search. I reckon I'll order a pair to try, then hunt down some more if they work as hoped. 

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

Measuring is the problem.  Some of these Chinese sellers measure end to end, some center of stubs to the other center. 

Hopefully these won't be same as what you already have.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2P-50mm-Aluminum-Dogbone-Drive-Shaft-for-HPI-RS4-SPORT3-RC1-10-On-Road-Car-Black/223231171173?hash=item33f99d5a65:g:gUkAAOSwtjhb6SZ7

I have a mate with an RS4 Sport 3 - I've asked to borrow a dogbone to test. The seem a lot easier to find than 50939s!

Having borrowed a dog bone from my mate's HPI RS4 Sport 3 Flux model, I can confirm that it is functionally identical to Tamiya's 51216 part, with the same ball diameter, the same pin placement and the same overall length of 50mm.

Good news for anybody who wants to use these parts interchangeably, but not so good for my current purpose.

When I come across a set of 50939 locally at a good price, I will give them a try. Until then, the o-ring solution seems to be doing a good job. I put several packs through the model earlier this morning, and and the dog bones stayed put without any problems or signs of undue wear.

@TurnipJF, I'm being good and searching these forums for answers to all my dumb questions before posting them and embarrassing myself. You keep popping up and assisting me from the past like some kind of spectral 6x6 guru. Appreciate it! I guess that 'advanced member' badge is well earned.

As a follow up to your solution to dog bones on a widened g6-01, did your O-ring solution last, or did you find longer dog bones in the end?

Cheers!

Here you go @TurnipJF

You need comical avante front dogbones 48mm

I did this conversion on one of my dynaheads

See pic from comical avante manual

Tony's tamiya parts sells them, approx £12

IMG_20210401_220419.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bwaaatch said:

@TurnipJF, I'm being good and searching these forums for answers to all my dumb questions before posting them and embarrassing myself. You keep popping up and assisting me from the past like some kind of spectral 6x6 guru. Appreciate it! I guess that 'advanced member' badge is well earned.

As a follow up to your solution to dog bones on a widened g6-01, did your O-ring solution last, or did you find longer dog bones in the end?

Cheers!

The o-rings ended up only working on the flat. Any sort of gradient that put additional loads on the drivetrain caused unpleasant clicking noises as the dogbones almost jumped out of their cups.

The proper solution was to order the correct dogbones from Japan via Tony's Tamiya Parts. 19803236 is the part number, as used on the front of the Comical Avante. They took months to get here, but now that they are fitted, the drivetrain is 100% reliable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the other Dynahead i swapped from kit springs to trf medium to enable the front to sit more level, I think there is also three o rings on each side, which performed well until the 48mm drive shafts arrived