GavvyD

TT01E Brushless set-up

Hi everyone.

Have just finished my first build of a TT01e Audi A4 Quattro and really enjoyed it.

Could anybody recommend a brushless motor/esc combo for this model,and if possible a higher speed pinion/spur gear set-up.I do have a 3.5t turnigy trackstar 9410kv sensored brushless motor sat in its box unused but feel this would be too powerful.any ideas?

Mine run very nicely on 13.5t. Plenty of power and race legal at many clubs too. A 10BL60 ESC gives plenty of oomph and is smaller and lighter than the 10BL120 that I prefer for heavier vehicles and/or hotter motors. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GavvyD said:

9410kv sensored brushless motor sat in its box unused but feel this would be too powerful.

That'd be too much.  Unless you have an access to an abandoned airport, and you are going for a speed record.    

69,634 RPM would be 500% of the silver can.  I would be worried if the gears can take the speed.  To make that RPM, each tooth has to take enormous force in a fraction of a second.  Even if somebody gives it to me for free, it would be unsuitable for me.  So it would sit in a box.  Which is why yours is sitting in its box, I presume.  

13.5t is the go to choice because you can run 13.5t with Tamiya TBLE02S.  

If you want a bit more, 10.5t would do.  But from 10.5t, Tamiya TBLE02S cannot be used.  But Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC can handle many brushless motors.  So if you want 10.5t, you'd also need 10BL120 ESC or any other ESC that's 120A.  

Thanks for the reply guys.I'm very new to this so very much a novice.

Would a brushless 60a esc with a 3410kv motor be suitable for the TT01e?

I don't want to attempt any speed records,just something a bit spicier than the stock set-up.

My only previous rc was a Helion Criterion RTR 1/10 buggy that had the stock 30a esc & 12T brushed motor.Was quite rapid though for the price(£110)

2 minutes ago, GavvyD said:

Thanks for the reply guys.I'm very new to this so very much a novice.

Would a brushless 60a esc with a 3410kv motor be suitable for the TT01e?

I don't want to attempt any speed records,just something a bit spicier than the stock set-up.

My only previous rc was a Helion Criterion RTR 1/10 buggy that had the stock 30a esc & 12T brushed motor.Was quite rapid though for the price(£110)

Usually when you get a combo like that which shows "kv" rather than "turns" its a sensorless setup.  They are cheap and fast but sensored is better.  They also usually undercook the ESC that they supply, although 60amps should be fine with that motor.  You often see a 45A ESC paired with a 4300kv motor, when a 120A ESC would be better suited.

Personally I would stick to sensored setups as they have smoother throttle control.  13.5T seems to be the sweet spot for entry level Tamiya's.  If you get a programmable ESC then you can get a lot more out of them if you want to go fast too.  All my basher cars run the TBLE02S which comes with the kit as I can switch between brushed and brushless depending on what they are being used for.  If your kit came with the TBLE02S then just use that and buy a sensored motor to go with it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply

My kit did come with the TBLE02S,so 13.5t sensored brushless motor is the right way to go?If so,which would you recommend?

Many thanks

6 minutes ago, GavvyD said:

Thanks for the reply

My kit did come with the TBLE02S,so 13.5t sensored brushless motor is the right way to go?If so,which would you recommend?

Many thanks

Thats what I would do.  You could run 10.5T but then you'd need a fan for the ESC.

Trackstar are cheap and cheerful https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-13-5t-sensored-brushless-motor-3040kv-roar-approved.html  but old now so won't be as fast as the newer motors.

Have a look at their range though, they have newer ones and also the "bandit" or "outlaw" motors which aren't ROAR approved so you can't use them for racing, but they are faster.

Surpass http://www.rcmart.com/135t-brushless-sensored-motor-outlaw-p-82744.html?cPath=1560_2231_946 or http://www.rcmart.com/135t-stock-brushless-sensored-motor-roar-p-82739.html?cPath=1560_2231_946 if you want ROAR approved

SkyRC http://www.rcmart.com/ares-135t-2860kv-modified-brushless-sensored-motor-p-78189.html?cPath=1560_2231_946

TBH the SkyRC is probably the pick of them as its in the middle on price but also includes free shipping.  Its also a modern motor so will be faster than the Trackstar.  They are popular for club racing around me.

Of course if your budget is unlimited then look at Tekin, Maclan, Orion, Orca, Reedy etc etc - the sky's the limit 

• Like 2

Couldn't edit - make sure that the motor comes with a sensor cable too, if it doesn't you need to add one to the order.  They are cheap, but the motor won't run without it and there is nothing worse than being all set to try it out and then waiting 3 weeks for a minor part!  Order a few, I find they break after a while anyway so tend to order a few at a time and have spares.

• Like 2

If you are watching the pennies, another motor you may want to consider is the generic "bluebottle" 13.5t brushless motor available from a number of eBay sellers for around the £20 mark. Here is an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-540-13-5T-Sensored-Brushless-Motor-for-1-10-RC-Car-Auto-Truck-UK-STOCK-U1R7/352802259642

They won't win the Nationals, but are fine for general bashing and casual club racing, being similar in performance to the older Trackstar motor linked to earlier in the thread. I can't comment on long term reliability yet as I have only been running them for a few months, but they seem solid enough for the price and have given no trouble so far.

• Like 2

Thanks TurnipJF

Would love something i didnt have to solder,but that looks ideal for the price.I am currently lusting after the Yeah Racing Tamiya TT-01 / TT-01E Ultimate Aluminum Conversion Kit,looks so good.

23 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Couldn't edit - make sure that the motor comes with a sensor cable too, if it doesn't you need to add one to the order.  They are cheap, but the motor won't run without it and there is nothing worse than being all set to try it out and then waiting 3 weeks for a minor part!  Order a few, I find they break after a while anyway so tend to order a few at a time and have spares.

Was about to recommend extra sensor cables , but JG beat me to it. All it takes is for one of the 6 little wires to let go and the fun is over.

A mid 3000kv motor would be a good setup. TT01 has plastic diffs as standard so need to be a little careful with the power. 1 of mine runs a 2600kv motor and is a heap of fun on 2S, if a bit more speed is needed whack in a 3S battery.

My second TT01 came in an action bundle. It had a Tamiya 23T Super Stock red motor in it, so I added a Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC and 2S battery. I was most surprised at how quick it was. I pulled the motor out to check the gear ratio and it was running 5.72:1 vs the stock 8.35:1.

I've have had good luck so far with the OCDAY 60A ESC @ AUD50 and the blue 120A ESC @ AUD$30  (but dont run them on 3S as it blows the fan. must have a dodgy output to the fan).

• Like 1