Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

RC10 Classic value

I keep reading the value of the RC10 Classic re-release is pretty high. Is this true for only NIB? I bought a mildly used one years back (with some scratches on the tub underside unfortunately). I plan on making it a runner. If they are somewhat collectible (or somewhat valuable, even used), should I sell it off and buy an old one to build up as a runner instead?  Thanks for any input.

Dunno, hard to say, it's all over the shop. First batch sold out quick then when 2nd batch arrived few was later they hung around the shelves for a while... some shops even started discounting.

Most early demand for Classic was for retro racing so NIB or NB prices didn't differ much; then the Worlds appeared and nobody wanted old Classic anymore... weren't they getting chucked out even cheaper come that time?

Imho don't think they're worth enough to think of preserving. The older genuine car be worth more in the long run. :) 

• Like 1

The most important in my opinion, no matter if vintage or new edition, are the ball bearings, especially in the gearbox. Funnily, the vintage RC10 doesn't have the ball differential as smooth as the new edition (even with new balls and plates). It seems to me that some parts of the new RC10 have been optimized. I drive the vintage RC10 with 17.5t, the new RC10 with 13.5t. Both are a lot of fun! If I were you, I'd keep the classic and equip it with ball bearings. Possibly also with jconcepts tuning parts, if they can be found. If you don't necessarily insist on the original short swings, I would recommend those from rpm. They also improve the handling considerably.

• Like 1

Put a clear chassis protector on it and run it! They are great little cars and you appreciate all the engineering that went into RC10 even more when driving. 

I dont think the new runs of rc10's will ever hold much value (especially new built) this is a good thing for people who are associated fans. Now if they could just do another run of both the Rc10 and the Rc10T and Rc10GT then I would be happy. :) 

I like building kits and the "I gotta have it" prices on the NIB repops are not for me. 

• Like 1

I have 6 RC10s in my stable at the moment (Classic re-re, original Cadillac short arm 6-gear, 2 Championship Editions, a Team Car and 1 long arm, Stealth "mutt") The mutt and the Classic are slated to be runners, the rest are restorations. I just don't like running something that may be of some collectors value. I'd sooner sell it and use the money to restore another one to run. Eases the "guilt factor" for me of ruining something that may potentially be valuable or important to a collector. If these rising values are strictly a NIB thing, I proceed with running this Classic.

• Like 1

Having a "mutt" or two around is more special to me than a straight up restoration. The car has more history and is unique. This is probably why I dont like box art paint like most collectors. Yeah I think the rere NIB prices will reflect demand which is greater than supply. Vintage NIB always has the most value and its all downhill from there :p 

I suggested the chassis protector incase you want to sell and to keep the underside nice. My vintage 6 gear was a runner but it doesnt matter as someone drilled it full of holes :blink:

One of these days Id like to find or make some new chassis for projects. I was even thinking about making a alu chassis for a traxxas bandit build with a rc10 body/look to it. I think that would be cool. 

1 hour ago, guggles said:

I was even thinking about making a alu chassis for a traxxas bandit build with a rc10 body/look to it.

Oddly enough, I've been half-looking for a cheap Bandit myself to modify. I'd like to make a 'glass chassis for it and make something with the look of the old TRX-1 to it.

bandit build off? haha that sounds pretty sweet, id like to see what you make out of it

• Like 1

It was rumored that the RC10 Classic had a release of only 2500 which would make it one of the most limited releases. I’ve a built one and a NIB one.

What kills the value is use. if it’s got scratches then you might as well keep it as a runner because it won’t be worth much. 

• Like 2

yes, so all model builders are different. I only have my Tamiya Egress from 1989, which is on the shelf, all other buggies are fully equipped and ready to go at any time. Among them 4 RC10: Edinger A-stamp, RC10 with stealth gearbox and carbon fibre tub chassis and the new editions classic and worlds car. Each is equipped with different tuning parts, so that each buggy has an individual driving characteristic. Driving is simply the most fun for me! Of course, I always take very good care of my precious ones!

• Like 1

I have a vintage one on it's way to me as we speak.

Whether vintage or re-re they seem to have a fairly high price point unless you spend a bit of time looking through what's out there.
Mine is in fair condition and will be a bit of a fixer upper, but  I just want one to see what they are like overall so it'll only be run a few times.

• Like 1

Sounds great! Do you already know which components you want to install? This buggy has been the dominant vehicle in the racing scene for years. It's fantastic to own one, or even better, several of them!

I have to potential to snag two more for reasonable money. If 6 RC10s are good,  are 8 better?

• Like 1

Just watched a sealed rere classic sell for $550 total on eBay yesterday.   I would put a built one that hasn’t been ran at $400, and a clean one that’s been used at around $300.   And a thrashed one at $150-200 lol.  

How scratched is the chassis?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ross

• Like 1

Hi Ross! Here's a pic:

49137384551_8f848254d0.jpg20191128_094154 by Scott Weiland, on Flickr

The noseplate got the worst of it. There's a couple long shallow scratches in the tub. A few scratches on the front arms too. Other than that, the buggy is immaculate.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! 

I would run this RC10 and have fun with it. The chassis is drilled for stealth. Switch out the transmission for a stealth and you can run brushless

• Like 1

RC10s are only worth real money in new unbuilt condition from what I've seen.  New built they do OK, but even one scratch on the chassis brings them way down into "better off keeping than selling" territory.   Still have my original and would never sell it, pretty well used so it's worth nothing anyway.  I see them on FB Marketplace all the time for under $100 in used condition.

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

RC10s are only worth real money in new unbuilt condition from what I've seen.  New built they do OK, but even one scratch on the chassis brings them way down into "better off keeping than selling" territory.   Still have my original and would never sell it, pretty well used so it's worth nothing anyway.  I see them on FB Marketplace all the time for under $100 in used condition.

Where have you seen a RC10 for 100 or less? I'm going to need proof just so I can buy it!

Just take a look in sold Ebay listings, a few for $100 or less in there (well used of course).  Check your local Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist, I see them for good prices all the time.  I did notice prices on Ebay higher than usual, maybe these are on the rise.  That would be great, always loved the RC10.  

On 11/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, Saito2 said:

I have to potential to snag two more for reasonable money. If 6 RC10s are good,  are 8 better?

I just landed those two RC10s (one graphite Team Car, one earlier 6-gear) for reasonable money from a good buddy in the hobby. Quite happy. Great guy too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I just landed those two RC10s (one graphite Team Car, one earlier 6-gear) for reasonable money from a good buddy in the hobby. Quite happy. Great guy too.

Nice! I think at one point I was up to 10 RC10s; I bought a couple of big lots. I now have 2.9 of them (one more set of Stealth outdrives, and I could build another, either buggy or truck). I do love the RC10, but I'm on a Kyosho kick these days.

What's funny about the RC10 is that while only a "perfect" or NIB one is really collectible, they last forever as runners. Actually broken parts are rare; most stuff just gets sloppy and worn out. And there are so many ways to build one, especially if you get into all the aftermarket parts and "conversion kits" and whatnot, that you can have 6 or 8 or 10, all completely different, and they're all going to be great runners. They're like a Camaro or an MGB or a VW Beetle: most of them aren't worth much in terms of money, but even a clapped-out one can be a lot of fun, if you have the right attitude about it.

• Like 2

So true. There are just so many ways to build them up. They were so tough and adaptable with a huge aftermarket that no two are alike. So many were raced, I wish they could talk. Having had experience with the Super Astute build and now the Ultima, you can see the basic architecture laid forth by the RC10 within them. They seem slicker with better parts finish yet lack some of the utter simplicity and beauty of the RC10. Roger Curtis was a genius.  

• Like 3

The RC10 is a super versatile buggy. Tons of conversion kits from dually trucks to oval racers to sprint cars. So many aftermarket parts were made for them that I have an RC10 that only has a couple of original parts from an RC10.  It was such a game changing vehicle that I think it’s a must have for everyone’s collection 

• Like 3