Sign in to follow this  
Barnoid

WR/WT01 with long shocks - a spot of help

I've bought some new shock mounts for my daughters' WT01; planning on running something other than the truly dreadful friction shocks on there - probably CVAs.

Anyway - the new mount attaches at two points per side; the lower of these is the upper swingarm attachment point too. How do folks attach the swingarm? The original sleeved screw won't fit any more.

I was thinking of using a brass sleeve for the screw to pivot inside, and then widening the screw hole on the new shock mount to the same diameter as the gearbox mount so the screw's not also rotating on the shock mount when the suspension pivots. 

Anyone got any thoughts? 

DC697C78-AB08-4AEC-8936-D3BDC364D079_1_201_a.jpeg

A brass sleeve would be the easiest way, and I don't think you'd need to modify the shock tower if you don't overtighten the screw.  That said, it will reduce the effectiveness of the mount if it isn't fully tightened.  I can't remember how mine used to fit.

An alternative is to do away with the solid upper arm and use a threaded rod or a turnbuckle on some heavy duty ball ends (such as you would find on a crawler link).  Then you can use a machine screw to secure everything in place and you'll have adjustable camber too.

• Like 1

I think that might be the way forward in the future - although for now I'll be experimenting with the sleeve, as I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible!

Cheers for your help ;-)