Andyfish2000

Hot Shot Restoration & wheel/tyre change

Just got my second original hotshot and whilst I am keeping the other one true to original, I am considering seeing what changes I can make to this one (as it is already in quite a bad way).  I've started to strip it and found that many of the red parts are broken.  Weaker material, not aged well or perhaps just used for higher stressed parts?  Anyway, I assume I can use the ReRe red Parts Tree to replace them?

Also considering new wheels and tyres to change the look somewhat.  Where should I start though?  I understand I can simply replace the red triangular wheel mounts with standard hex ones, but are there any recommendations for after market wheels and tyres?

Thanks

Andy

These are the same sizes.  The front is narrower than the rear.  Tread pattern is on and off-road.  They are cheap too. 

NQYRVi1.jpg

kCaGiac.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Rubber-Tires-W-Foam-Inserts-4Pcs-for-RC-1-10-Off-Road-Car-Buggy-OD-85mm-NEW/223673624199?hash=item3413fca687:g:hBIAAOSw3s9c4pd1

Above link is for the tires only.  You can look for items that are including wheels too.  Even with wheels, it's usually about $16.  There are different wheels too.  But dish wheels don't fit Hotshot nicely.  Offset is different.  

Thanks for the response Jugular.  Now have a set on order.

But Arrrgggghhhh, the strip down continues and more broken parts are found.  I received a red parts tree this week to replace all those bits.  But have now found one of the rear arms is broken where the suspension mounts, the rear of the chassis top is broken and one of the front stabiliser stays is also snapped. Unfortunately my box containing 2/3rds of an original hotshot cannot help me with these parts, so my only option is to either buy new from the rere, or maybe look at what "hopups" are available.  Any thoughts on alloy replacement parts? Do they exist for hotshots?

I have bee through the same process and ended up buying a whole new rere set to have enough parts for the rebuild of mine. I turned out to be cheaper than buying all the parts separately. I have sold the remaining parts on ebay later. 

The rear arms from the rere are 100%  identical to the old ones, only you know the difference afterwards :-) only the lower front arms a slightly different. You can also use the new gear housing and only have to change the old C clips to the newer E clips they are supplied with the new kit and still using all old gears and screws. There are a few aluminium hop ups available on rcmart but they are just looking wrong. I have bought a set of 2.2" from china in black - they are quite nice and good for bashing but have spent a small fortune to get the original hop up wheels, recommended on the 58391 box now. They should be here in a few days :-)

http://www.rcgrabbag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/d70_4151-edit.jpg