Hi guys

I ordered a Avante from RCjaz.co.uk. They provided a website (https://speedpost.hongkongpost.hk/speedpost/sections/mailTracking/mailTrackingResult.jsf) that allowed me to track my order and so I have been tracking its progress from Hong Kong. It looks like my package has arrived in the UK but the delivery status since 27/11/2019 says that it's "Held by customs". I'm totally new to all of this as it's the first time I've ever imported anything. Can anyone explain what this means and whether I need to do anything? I'm a little concerned so any help would be fully appreciated.

Best regards

Rod

Everything coming into the UK is subject to 'examination' by customs - Most of the time that just means they (or their assigned agents) check the parcel's declared value and then apply any relevant taxes or duties.
2-3 working days in customs isn't unusual.

The declared value is what the seller has put down on the export docs - they have to state a value at their end for export purposes. It's on this value that any fees due will be calculated

If any extra charges are payable, you'll get a letter detailing the charges from the carrier handling it (probably Parcel Force unless you went for a courier like UPS/Fed EX) and you'll need to pay those charges before the goods are released.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

It means its going to get a customs charge then it will be handed to the courier (more than likely parcelforce) this is when people start to moan about the charging system but unfortunately this is the way it is:rolleyes: they will charge you a handling fee because they (probably parcelforce) pay your custom charges on your behalf so it doesn't hold it up if they never did that trust me it would sit at customs for weeks (at best) until they contacted you then you would probably have to pay again for a courier to deliver it from customs! 

In my case (a watch) it was held by customs and wasn't released until I paid directly. Either way figure on paying the equivalent of VAT or import duties, plus whatever the courier charge if they pay it on your behalf. 

It could also be because they may suspect you have a lithium battery in the package. They may hang on to that bit. Either way I would contact the UK shippers. Get pinging emails around. Beyond that its probably just a waiting game.

Customs will be assessing the item to see if you owe any import duty & VAT.  Once they have done their thing it will be released to the carrier.  If you owe anything you will get a card/letter stating what you owe and how to pay it.  Once any fees have been paid the item will be delivered.  If no duty/VAT is deemed to be required the item will be delivered once customs release it.

It is normal and all you do is wait to see if you need to pay anything.  Sometimes the item will be with customs for a few days so be patient.  If you put your tracking number in the Royal Mail/Parcelforce (whichever is appropriate) tracker you will likely get a little more information as the item is now in the UK.

Did the website make it clear it was coming from abroad? I've just had a look and I'm surprised it isn't more obvious its not coming from the UK, especially with that web address.

Hi guys, thanks as always.

I just thought I'd give you an update. I tried tracking my parcel on Parcelforce using the same tracking number and their status states that the package has been "Released from customs" from the International hub. I take it then that it has passed through customs and on its way?

Best regards

Rod

When I got my top force a few months ago, I ordered it on the friday, by Sunday it was in the UK. Sat at customs until the following Friday, for me to pick it up from Parcel Force Depot on the Saturday. Travels half way round the globe in 2 days, then spends 5 days sitting in customs.

2 hours ago, rjoseph244510 said:

Hi guys, thanks as always.

I just thought I'd give you an update. I tried tracking my parcel on Parcelforce using the same tracking number and their status states that the package has been "Released from customs" from the International hub. I take it then that it has passed through customs and on its way?

Best regards

Rod

Yes, it will now be on its way to you, pending any fees.

59 minutes ago, Wongataa said:

Yes, it will now be on its way to you, pending any fees.

Normally they hold it at the local depot and will send you a letter to tell you the fees. You can pay it over the phone or go to the depot and pay and collect. Which will be quicker than waiting for the letter.

4 hours ago, Oneball1971 said:

Normally they hold it at the local depot and will send you a letter to tell you the fees. You can pay it over the phone or go to the depot and pay and collect. Which will be quicker than waiting for the letter.

He's right I paid over the phone when my jun Watanabe hornet got stopped in customs it's much quicker!

24 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Brexit is gonna make this the norm for ordering from the EU :(

JJ

Unfortunately I think your going to be right aswell (customs/inland revenue are definitely going to be quids in):unsure:

Means each model costs more 

so less models bought

impacts model shop sales

impacts their profits

less money paid to the treasury through corporation taxes

less money for the shop owner to spend in the market place

other businesses lose out 

they get less revenue/profit/tax

l of a sudden there is less money circulating and here comes inflation 

all so we can keep foreigners out of the a country built on immigration :(

(oh and all those corrupt Eurocrats in Brussels - Farage is one of them - who “controls” us hahah)

we want our own corrupt people controlling us ;)

JJ