GTodd

Thunder Shot and Hotshot Parts compatibility?

Hey gang Im purchasing a Terra Scorcher in need of restoration and I have colected parts through the years for the Hot Shot and Thundershot series of cars along the way.  Ive got a MIP ball differential set for te hotshot, will it work in a THunder Shot? Will any Hotshot parts work with a Thundershot?

In a word no. The thundershot was a totally new chassis with EVERYTHING new from the wheels, the uprights, suspension arms, dogbones, drive shafts, half shafts.

I think the only main component that is the same is the front to back drive shaft and the common small parts, screws, shocks etc.

Even the motor was held on a new way (adjustable motor mount plate) much easier than the older slot in front or rear of the screw in the HS series.

The design evolution from Hot Shot series to Thundershot series is a fascinating one. Roughly similar design base with everything upgraded/modernized, more efficient, lower parts count, at a cheaper price point and resulting in a better performing buggy. Vastly underrated IMHO. I'm eagerly awaiting another re-release. 

13 hours ago, GTodd said:

Hey gang Im purchasing a Terra Scorcher in need of restoration and I have colected parts through the years for the Hot Shot and Thundershot series of cars along the way.  Ive got a MIP ball differential set for te hotshot, will it work in a THunder Shot? Will any Hotshot parts work with a Thundershot?

I asked about this when MIP were doing the hotahot diff. The Thundershot series has 2 more teeth on the diff than hotshot, so it won't work. 

5 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

The design evolution from Hot Shot series to Thundershot series is a fascinating one. Roughly similar design base with everything upgraded/modernized, more efficient, lower parts count, at a cheaper price point and resulting in a better performing buggy. Vastly underrated IMHO. I'm eagerly awaiting another re-release. 

Do you have many of the family?

I have all the early Hot Shot 4wds, but alas, only one lone Thundershot. After I finish restoring all my early 4wds (My Hot Shot 2 and Super Sabre need their bodies finished, but that will have to wait until spring) I'd like to collect all the buggies in the T-Shot series but they are getting thin on the ground here in the US. I'd really fancy a re-re with fresh plastics to drive around too.

@Saito2 I did my collection the other way round. Started with the Thundershot then its family, then Boomerang, BigWig, Super Sabre, Winger, Super Shot, HotShot and finally a HS2

Oh and of course the Vanquish

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I have all the early Hot Shot 4wds, but alas, only one lone Thundershot. After I finish restoring all my early 4wds (My Hot Shot 2 and Super Sabre need their bodies finished, but that will have to wait until spring) I'd like to collect all the buggies in the T-Shot series but they are getting thin on the ground here in the US. I'd really fancy a re-re with fresh plastics to drive around too.

We got two already, the thundershot and the odd FireDragon, not sure if we will get any other else.  Plenty of parts available to keep them running.

I would like to think we will see the Terra Scorcher again , with the hop ups it would be sold at a good price point for Tamiya.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

I would like to think we will see the Terra Scorcher again , with the hop ups it would be sold at a good price point for Tamiya.

Agree, and the shell is used on the Terra Conquer as well (am I right??)

Lets have the vanquish as well please Mr Tamiya as I would love to run it and the TS again.

8 minutes ago, Baddon said:

the shell is used on the Terra Conquer as well (am I right??)

Dirt Thrasher (also a DF01 buggy) with a different wing, so you were close. The Terra Conqueror shared a shell with the Blazing Star.

• Thanks 1