toyolien

Which Rally Car Dilema (version 2)!

Evenin' all.

I've recently build up a lovely TT02 rally car. However, on it's first outing it got absolutely plastered in mud and wet leaves and needed a full strip down and re-build to recover. So, after that i put some HPI T-Drifts on it, locked the rear diff and added 7-8 degrees of camber, and NOW it drifts absolutely fantastic. So much so, that I'm thinking about leaving it as it is and building up a replacement rally car (my friend has also just built up a TT02 Quattro so something i can run with that).

So here are my thoughts.

Option 1. Convert the TT02 back to a rally car and get a specific RWD drifter for that itch (Most expensive option) Although i would really prefer to stick with Tamiya.

Option 2. Get an XV-01 rally car. My thoughts on this is that it's been around 8 years or so and i can't help thinking it's due for a replacement. (Anyone heard any rumours of an XV-02?) Or should i not worry about that and get one anyway because they're great!

Option 3. This is the 'curve ball' option. An MF-01X Beetle. Not really looked at these much but they look interesting. How would they stack up against a TT-02 rally car?

Thanks for any help, advice or opinions. 

Option 4. Get another TT-02, build it to rally spec and add a breathable fabric chassis tub cover to keep the muck out. Build it with rubber sealed bearings and put a piece of vinyl over the bottom of the tub. Fit waterproof electronics. Post-run cleanup then ought to be a simple case of letting it dry out, brushing any debris from the suspension and washing the tub cover. A really seriously dirty run could be followed by a wash in the shower. I have one of my TT-01s thus configured and it works very nicely with minimal post-run hassle.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Option 4. Get another TT-02

Thank you. I hadn't considered that. At least I'd have plenty of spares. I see Tamico do lexan chassis covers. That might be an option.

**edit** Actually, if I'm going to have a TT02 rally car,  is there a better option from Tamiya as a 4wd drift car?

Xv01 pro TC is a much better drifter than TT02, the front engine layout makes the drifts feel more life like as it pivots on the front wheels rather than pivoting on the centre axis like a TT02.  

that being said a XV01 makes a better rally car for the same reason. 

XV01 is a totally different driving experience to any of the other options, I honestly don’t consider it a “comparable” vehicle to anything else on the market, especially a TT chassis. 

honestly think it’s incredibly unlikely Tamiya will bring out a XV02. Ever. While there is things I might like to see different, like a better battery arrangement, when you drive it and get it setup to your liking, you’ll be left wanting for nothing, apart from more time and more battery packs. 

it is however a more professional level kit, and as such has additional complexity and a very high level of adjustability so it’s not that good for rc newb’s. 

• Like 2

Between the two choices, get the XV-01 straight. Skip the TT-02 because you will eventually end up spending more on the TT-02 upgrades just to make the car "behave" and perform better to its purpose. Out of the box, it's such a lousy car with all plastic and nothing adjustable. As a street basher, it's fine but as a racer, it's not.

ANother option I'd recommend is the LRP S10 Blast TC. It's 10x better than a box stock TT-02 and have many upgrade parts included as stock. I just recently got one and I must say, people should try this kit before buying any TT-02.

Here it is. The kit cost $65. The front aluminum knuckles and c-hubs cost (less than $20 combined). Although I installed a TRF (60mm) dampers because I plan to drive this in both on-road and rally. I will just have to shave a few areas under the chassis to allow more ride height.

qB2byjzh.jpg

hTw4V1oh.jpg

The drawbacks of the TT-02 chassis become much less apparent on loose surfaces. I would just buy another, set it up with CVA shocks, raised ride height, sealed bearings, rally blocks, a fabric chassis dust cover and send it... Running the same chassis as your friend could also be more fun than running two different behaving chassis together.

Coming at this from a different angle, if you're enjoying drifting then look at joining a drift club and running RWD on carpet.  50:50 drift with hard tyres and a basic chassis is OK but it gets boring after a while and the world has moved on.  The MST RMX 2.0S (kit version, not RTR) is a brilliant starter car for RWD drifting - unlike other entry-level models it has everything you need in the kit and you can get out and play with the big boys without having to spend a fortune on hop-ups.  However you will need wheels and tyres (appropriate for your club), a body, a power system and a gyro, so the cost stacks up fairly quick.  However if you're drifting alone on tarmac then I'd stick with the TT02, or as suggested look at a front-motor chassis.

It might be worth having a look for clubs that are doing rally classes too, although not many people do it these days.

• Like 1

XV-01 so you will have both. I recently acquired a datsun 240Z rally body - and found out that the most TT-02 (but not the TT-02S) can be configured to the slightly shorter wheel base of 251mm. Now the plan is to get the audi a2 TT-02, use that chassis for the datsun, the audi shell will be a spare for the xv-01.

XV-01. You notice how everyone who has one always recommends it? It's that good. Just build it to box stock, and it's great, or modify it all the way and make it even better. I've had mine forever, and even after all these years and rebuilds, it's still my favorite and most frequently driven car.

Edit: While I don't think that we'll see an XV-02, I'd really like to see a Pro 2.0 or something. Exactly like the Pro, but with long damper towers, 70mm TRF shocks, aluminum suspension mounts, and all of the carbon reinforced suspension parts. And hex screws!

• Like 2

I'd put a vote out for the VX-01 also, although mine in the VX-01T variant. Being mostly sealed/covered does make a difference. Although I found the ESC box quite limiting and had to modify mine. My biggest gripe with the VX-01 is the stupid stupid stupid battery compartment and cover. You firstly need a screwdriver to change the battery or even plug it in. And the shape of the tray and location of the wires mean battery choice is extremely limited and even those that do fit can be a struggle.

If you want a rally car, I'd say have a look at the Traxxas offering too. I'm not too keen on the bodyshell, but the actual car looks like it is probably the most capable rally offering. Shame the UK pricing is so expensive vs the USA pricing for it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Losi XXT-CR said:

I'd put a vote out for the VX-01 also, although mine in the VX-01T variant. Being mostly sealed/covered does make a difference. Although I found the ESC box quite limiting and had to modify mine. My biggest gripe with the VX-01 is the stupid stupid stupid battery compartment and cover. You firstly need a screwdriver to change the battery or even plug it in. And the shape of the tray and location of the wires mean battery choice is extremely limited and even those that do fit can be a struggle.

If you want a rally car, I'd say have a look at the Traxxas offering too. I'm not too keen on the bodyshell, but the actual car looks like it is probably the most capable rally offering. Shame the UK pricing is so expensive vs the USA pricing for it though.

Yeah, but the Traxxas Rally is just a huge short course truck with a generic hatchback body on it. There aren't many body choices for it, and it doesn't have the quick reflexes of a touring type car.

The 4Tec 2.0 does make a pretty fair base for a rally conversion; it's very durable, has a bulletproof driveline, is easy to raise the ride height on, is dirt cheap, and is easy to work on. It would be my second choice for a rally car, actually, well ahead of a TT02.

My opinion:

1) XV-01 (Expensive. Needs front CV axles to get enough steering angle. The class of the field. With aluminum suspension mounts, incredibly durable.)

2) 4Tec 2.0 (Needs CV axles in the front to get enough steering angle. RTR only, and the stock steering servo is too slow.)

3) MST XXX RA (Stock up on arms and knuckles, get a spool, double cardans, and a gear diff. It's unusable with the stock ball diffs. More expensive than an XV-01, less durable, not as fast.)

4) TT02 (Cheap, durable enough. Not enough steering throw, too much steering slop. By the time you replace the shocks, add ball bearings, and get the steering sorted, it costs as much as an XV-01 and isn't as fast or durable.)

5) Vaterra V100 ( Cheap and very durable. RTR only, stock servo is garbage. Hard to get enough travel or ride height. Friction shocks, very limited aftermarket or factory upgrades. Very nice quality. Did I mention durable?)

6) Any used touring car you can get cheap. X-Rays, TC4s, Apex, Sakuras- all of them can be made to work well if you're willing to put in the R&D and chase parts. Ride height, steering angle, and durability are the biggest hurdles, usually, followed by debris intrusion. 

We used to run a local rally club, and these are some of the things that I learned over those few years. We took a hiatus for '19, and are planning the '20 season now that we've secured a new spot to run the series.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Yeah, but the Traxxas Rally is just a huge short course truck with a generic hatchback body on it. There aren't many body choices for it, and it doesn't have the quick reflexes of a touring type car.

You are probably right. But I was thinking from a bashing point of view rather than racing. And also being able to handle tougher ground. 

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated and some great info.

I've ruled out a RWD drift car as I really want to stick with Tamiya. Plus, that would really be best suited to an indoor drift track and the closest to me is over an hour away. I've got 2 young daughters so time is precious. And, I really wanted this to be a Gymkana style drift car, so it needs to be 4wd.

That leaves the TT-02 or XV-01. I really like the TT-02 and as my friend also has one, I think that would be the better choice. There's no doubt that the XV-01 is a great car, every review i read about it is positive but I think I'm going to go for the TT-02. I already have loads of spares and a few hop ups, so that should see me right for now. I have a large area of lovely smooth tarmac as a patio (yes it was deliberate as i wanted a nice drift area), so this TT-02 will mostly be used on there. 

• Like 1

The TT-02 is also a lot simpler, spares and hop-ups are a lot easier to find, and new ones in kit form, including the body, are half the price of an XV-01. That being said, I'm no longer very interested in the TT-02 after having hopped it up as much as possible, looking at the price, and the performance, and tunability.

I have a TT-02 rally, and an XV-01 rally.  The TT-02 collects dust.  They're just not in the same league.

• Like 1

Asks for advice, gets advice, agrees with advice but still ignores advice. Classic. I do it all the time.

• Haha 3

just showing off my almost finished xv-01 B) must say i really really enjoyed the build! its box stock at the moment.

z3o619b.jpg?1

kit came with the integrale body, but this quattro shell also fits.

H9vxXFq.jpg?1

also almost done - its older brother. the venerable TA03S. its got a shorter wheel base, but its also belt driven with a front mounted motor. i reverted back to the plastic tub for dirt running. but still, compared to the xv, i can see this is gonna be a mission to keep clean. its probably gonna be mainly a tarmac runner. also in two minds to run it as i don't have a spare belt - they're like hen's teeth!

OIKcrYD.jpg?1

JWcHgXU.jpg?1

so just waiting for new electronicals for both...

• Like 5

On 12/3/2019 at 4:33 PM, Losi XXT-CR said:

How did you modify your ESC box? I am having the same problem with me, I have a water/dust proof brushless setup and it doesn't fit in the box. It is my second car, not sure what to do.

My indestructible S10 rally car. The spur and pinion are open but I'm really surprised how sturdy they are. Been running this since I built it Nov of last year. It had tumbled many times and had major hits/bumps but it's just too tough. Great performance too. Puts any TT-01/02 to shame really.

XOhvP3qh.jpg

5zrKO9Wh.jpg

cSejsp3h.jpg

nZVdAeyh.jpg

• Like 1