Jonnythefox87

Pinion gear for lunchbox

I've recently upgraded to a 13.5 T brushless motor which has definitely added some punch to the truck, the acceleration is brutal so I'm toying with idea of putting in a larger pinion to try and add more to the top speed but take a bit off the acceleration. Has anybody else done this or has any suggestions with this? Im not even sure what the pinion is that comes with the kit, but would like to hear some opinions from some people who have more knowledge in this than me! 

Thank you in advance 

I have a 13.5 in mine. I used an 18t hornet pinion. Lunchbox is 10t i believe.

It will still backflip on the throttle but it now also genuinely quite quick! 

• Like 1

That's it, you only have to look at the accelerator and it wants to flip! 

I thought I saw somewhere it was 10T but thought it sounded too low, so you think 18T is the way to go? 

9 minutes ago, Jonnythefox87 said:

That's it, you only have to look at the accelerator and it wants to flip! 

I thought I saw somewhere it was 10T but thought it sounded too low, so you think 18T is the way to go? 

Unless you get an adjustable motor mount, 10t and 18t are your only options.

• Like 1

I had the adjustable motor mount for the lunchbox, and although it functions correctly, I found it extremely difficult to use. Without being able to see exactly what you are doing, you have to get the long motor screws to engage with small nuts which are free to move around inside the motor mount (it has long machined slots, which is what makes it adjustable). For me, this was very difficult and frustrating.

Now that I know just about where I want my Lunchbox to be (in terms of motor and voltage), I find it MUCH easier to stick to the 10t pinion.

This is the same reason I stick to the 13t pinions in the clodbuster - the stock sizing is extremely easy to use, while the adjustable motor mount is quite hard to use (in my opinion).

I'll be curious to see if others had the same experience.

In all honesty, I wouldn't expect it to tone down wheelies too much. Even with the 18t pinion, the Lunchbox will hardly cause a 13.5t to break a sweat.

You'll definitely gain a lot of top end though.

5 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

In all honesty, I wouldn't expect it to tone down wheelies too much. Even with the 18t pinion, the Lunchbox will hardly cause a 13.5t to break a sweat.

You'll definitely gain a lot of top end though.

It does help, but not by alot 😂

The adjustable motor mount is a bit difficult at first, but after a couple of times it isn't that difficult. 10t to 18t is a big jump, you may want to have some options in between.

It is a big jump, but its under geared to start with. It will handle 13.5t on 18t pinion without any trouble at all.

• Like 1

I run an 18 tooth pinion on mine. Also have the adjustable motor mount, they key is getting the clear cover so that you can you see the pinion.

I would say this is unlikely to help with preventing wheeling. I have done some other mods to mine:

- oil shocks all round

-AMPRO trans brace to stop the axle flapping up and down

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/w01002-01-cw01-lunchbox-pumpkin-trans-brace?optionId=59473027

-Inverted the wheelie bar

The AMPRO brace and inverted wheelie bar made the biggest difference to drivability.

I'm not running a brushless motor in mine, it has a race spec 12x6 brushed motor and an old Novak racing ESC. With a 2S Lipo it is pretty savage though. Glued tyres are a must. Now it tends to wheelspin rather than wheelie/flip over. No idea on top speed, but is fairly rapid IMO, not sure I'd want it any faster.

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

It is a big jump, but its under geared to start with. It will handle 13.5t on 18t pinion without any trouble at all.

Will be trying this , is there a special 18t pinion ?  :)

31 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Will be trying this , is there a special 18t pinion ?  :)

Just had one in my box. Its the same as a hornet pinion.

22 hours ago, graemevw said:

I used an 18t hornet pinion

Thanks mate , I should have paid more attention earlier ;) , I've got one of those

12 hours ago, Losi XXT-CR said:

I'm not running a brushless motor in mine, it has a race spec 12x6 brushed motor and an old Novak racing ESC. With a 2S Lipo it is pretty savage though. Glued tyres are a must. Now it tends to wheelspin rather than wheelie/flip over. No idea on top speed, but is fairly rapid IMO, not sure I'd want it any faster.

Well I run a Traxxas 12T brushed with a 10T pinion and 2S LiPo and it hits 38kph/23mph, so an 18T pinion should easily get you over 50kph/30mph by my reckoning. Good luck!!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:47 PM, graemevw said:

I have a 13.5 in mine. I used an 18t hornet pinion. Lunchbox is 10t i believe.

It will still backflip on the throttle but it now also genuinely quite quick! 

So my 18T pinion gear arrived today and I went to mount the motor back on with the new pinion, but couldn’t get it to reach through to the teeth of the spur gear. Am I doing something wrong? I didn’t have a lot of time to work on it so I’ll go back and inspect again. Sorry never changed pinions about before so apologies if it’s a beginners mistake!