Sign in to follow this  
smirk-racing

so let's say you love the XV-01, but want something bigger...

My XV-01 is a blast to drive. Are there any larger vehicles, like 8th scale, that are similar to the XV-01 in terms of having such an extreme forward-weight bias? I am not aware of any Tamiya vehicles like this, but wondering if anyone knows of any such vehicle from any manufacturer?

The front motor mounting position is rather unique/rare. I'm sure I've seen it on something else, but can't recall what it was. It wasn't a 1/8th rally car however.

That said, if all you want is forward weight, you could just add some ballast to whatever you get.

The Traxxas rally doesn't have the forward weight, but being based on the Slash 4wd it probably has scope to drift quite well. And while it is still claimed as 1/10th, it will have a bigger footprint than the VX-01 does.

Some 4wd have a front motor, but not hanging over the front like the XV01. The Losi 22-4 is one, the Lazer ZX6 can have the motor mounted forward too. These are still 10th scale but buggies are bigger than TC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The Losi 22-4 is one

I didn't know about Losi 22-4.  3 belts!  It looks interesting.  I'll have to keep it on my radar. (I have a bad habit of catching things on my radar)  

• Haha 1

The original Losi 4wd buggy the XX4 has the motor just behind the front axle and 3 belts. I had probably one of the first in the UK as we imported them from the USA. Good buggy but mine broke almost every time out. Not experienced the 22-4 though. 

I would recommend the HPI WR8 Flux. It really is an amazing and durable car - not to mention it looks fantastic, too. Watch some reviews of it on Youtube, watch how it drives and drifts on all kinds of mixed surfaces. Listen to the all-metal drivetrain, too!

Unfortunately HPI parts can be more difficult to find though, but I can't remember ever breaking anything on it.

A friend of mine has a 1/5th scale rally car but it's gas powered.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

That this is huge!

Anyway, the front motor 4WD started with the TA-03F which uses the same gears as the FF-01. The TA-03 and the XV-01 chassis have become very successful. I wonder what Tamiya is coming up with the next front motor 4WD.

Not front motor, but the Kyosho DRX is a great platform for a rally car!

AyLvbDL.jpg

This is on 2s, I normally drive it on 3s

• Like 1