Sign in to follow this  
Smokescreen38

TT02RR - 3200kv: can I run enough gear to get some speed out of this combo?

Hi, guys. 
I’m mostly a plane guy without much RC car experience...so please excuse my wild ignorance.  I got the bug to build up a car so I started shopping.  I knew I wanted a Tamiya touring car and the TT02 seemed like the way to go.  The RR has a bunch of the parts that I would have bought anyway...so I ordered one up and set out to find a deal on a quality brushless system,  I happened on a deal for a parted-out Arma Typhon that was too good to pass up...which may have been a hasty choice.

So I have the 3200kv motor and stock 100A ESC ready to go.  In the stock application, this power system propels the Typhon to ~60mph while accelerating pretty ferociously so it’s capable of some good performance.  

The obvious problem with this motor for the car application is the low kv...

Is it hopeless? What pinion/spur set would allow me get 60mph/100kmh or more out of this thing on 3s?  I gather that I’ll need some kind of custom spur setup...just not sure where to start. 

Are there other weaknesses that need to be addressed?  I read somewhere that the ring gears in the diffs that come with the TT02RR were garbage.  Is that right? 

thanks for any advice!  

Since the TT02RR kit comes with the high speed gearset you can get any gear ratio if you also buy the Yeah Racing motor mount which has a lot to adjust gear mesh rather than the holes in the tamiya mount.

http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-tt02013bu-sample-p-36559.html?cPath=595_744_1585

I would switch to 48p gears rather than mod 0.6 as there are a lot more options available. You can buy any combo of spur and pinion to get your desired FDR

What size is that motor? 3200kv can be crazy fast if they can handle higher voltage. 8th scale ebuggies typically run 1900kv motors on 4S and have no shortage of speed. If that motor is bigger than a normal 540 size /3650 then it will be able to run a much higher gear than a standard sized motor.

Thanks so much! 
I’ll get one of those adjustable mounts.

The motor is a 3660.  Not sure how much the extra length will help for so that’s encouraging...I’ll see if it can handle 4s. :)

I’m getting a headache Trying to figure out combos that will work best with the 48p pinion.  What’s a typical set that works for people?   

Assuming I can get all that figured out, will the stock  diffs from the TT02RR hold up ok?