Forko

Small tx for kids

Hi guys,

Iv ordered a lunchbox mini for the 4y/o for Xmas but I  still need too get a transmitter sorted. He can use my normal pistol grip tx for most things but struggles with reverse, does anyone know if you can buy a small form factor tx, cheap Chinese stuff is an option as he ain't gonna be racing it anywhere 😂

If the Lunchbox mini uses a 380 size motor, Core RC do a transmitter that uses an esc with built in rx and a special servo with 5 wires. They are very reliable, we sell a lot if them at the hobby store I work part time in.

The servo is a standard size.

They're just the right size for little ones.

They are the standard fit in their range of 1/12  buggies. I have a Core RC Speedstar. Great little buggy.

https://www.mwmwarbirds.co.uk/shop/core-rc-speedstar-1-12-buggy/

The Futaba 3PV is small. I got one for my son when he was about that age. They are more expensive but with 10 model memory and all the functions you need for racing its future proof too.

The other benefit is that they are much nicer units than cheap stuff, you really do get what you pay for.

Whatever you get, I would just treat it as disposable (i.e. expect to buy 2-3 of them as they will likely get dropped more than a few times).  Get the cheapest thing that will get the job done.  As your child gets older and if he/she wants to continue in R/C, you can pick up something more permanent.

Search eBay for 

Turbo Racing 91803G 2.4GHz 3CH Radio Transmitter & Receiver For RC Car Boat

I bought one.  Too small for me but cheap and would be great for kids.

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The Futaba 3PV is small. I got one for my son when he was about that age. They are more expensive but with 10 model memory and all the functions you need for racing its future proof too.

The other benefit is that they are much nicer units than cheap stuff, you really do get what you pay for.

That looks good,  better than my controller even 😂 but I can see it getting dropped more than once, but if he takes it serious that is a good option. 

11 hours ago, Mahjik said:

Whatever you get, I would just treat it as disposable (i.e. expect to buy 2-3 of them as they will likely get dropped more than a few times).  Get the cheapest thing that will get the job done.  As your child gets older and if he/she wants to continue in R/C, you can pick up something more permanent.

That's my thoughts exactly. 

2 hours ago, 67CamaroSS said:

Search eBay for 

Turbo Racing 91803G 2.4GHz 3CH Radio Transmitter & Receiver For RC Car Boat

I bought one.  Too small for me but cheap and would be great for kids.

Just ordered this exact one 😂 thought for 14 quid it's worth a punt, 

One thing I should've mentioned - EPA is the single most important feature for kids. It allows you to slow the car right down and adjust speed depending on area you're in, their skill level etc.

You can run a slow crawler motor, but then its fixed at that speed and is a hassle to change. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forko said:

That looks good,  better than my controller even 😂 but I can see it getting dropped more than once, but if he takes it serious that is a good option. 

That's my thoughts exactly. 

Just ordered this exact one 😂 thought for 14 quid it's worth a punt, 

I will be interested how it fits for your 4yr old.  My son also has trouble with the tamiya tamtech buggy radio.  Reverse is too far of a throw for his little fingers.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, gt6++ said:

I will be interested how it fits for your 4yr old.  My son also has trouble with the tamiya tamtech buggy radio.  Reverse is too far of a throw for his little fingers.

So from what iv learned after ordering a few different models is the ebay one is fine for small hands but none of them have epa adjustment so it's just too fast for him, iv ended up with a cheap full size pistol grip from the local model store so I can slow it down for him, he just can't reverse it one handed 

Oh that's too bad.  Perfect for small hands but no epa can mean out of control speed for a little one.  Maybe a slower turn motor would have solved it too?

If you place a block on the handle behind the trigger he won't be able to pull it all the way to full throttle. Use tape on the front part of the trigger to make it thicker so he doesn't have to push as far forward to get reverse. It's a temporary fix, but it works.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Biz73, good tips.

I mentioned EPA as it was one of the criteria listed earlier in the thread though it could help my son - throttle and steering are virtually on / off but I'm going to try and get him to slow down and be a tad more accurate this year. 

We had the Dual Hunter on a deserted beach so full throttle wasn't an issue!

He really struggled with a standard sized controller, had to change his grip to go into reverse. I'm hoping this is just small enough to give him more control.

@Badcrumble I'd be interested to know what you think of the Carson radio. My 6 year old struggle with her radio. Also, see if it's possible to turn the speed down with it👍

21 minutes ago, toyolien said:

@Badcrumble I'd be interested to know what you think of the Carson radio. My 6 year old struggle with her radio. Also, see if it's possible to turn the speed down with it👍

I’ll have a look at it when it comes in and see if Young Master Crumble is happy to act as a hand model!

My Carson Relfex Start pack arrived today.

Not sure how easy it will be to reduce the throttle down but then again, no so easy for the user to increase it when I’m not looking. Servo was part of the package and included in the photos for scale. The rx is TINY!!

D5A794C4-5930-459E-8A31-6A22AFE7AD60.jpg

EFF13E2C-53D4-4AC6-8700-5F557574CDEC.jpg

4E6EC152-4334-4A98-ABEB-8BB73DF0ECCA.jpg

FEB2A590-96B2-4298-88DF-BE12F0990EC9.jpg

CF3CD206-8D61-4566-91CF-F125159C8A4C.jpg

45 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Thanks for the update. Let me know how small hands cope with it👍

Will do. Not quite sure when we will get to use it but it will hopefully be an incentive for him to rebuild his Dual Hunter following its strip down and clean. Or I’ll end up doing it...

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

Ok great. No race really. My daughter only really struggles using the reverse...

El Kid got his paws on the tx this evening and he could get full extension on reverse - sorting the problem he’d had with the full size Carson tx - he wasn’t able to reverse at all and had to change his grip on the big controller, then adjust again to set off. 

8 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Magic thanks. I'll get one ordered to try 👍

My only concern at the moment is dialling down the speed but I’ll give it a try at some point. If only all my cars weren’t in bits...