Forko

Small tx for kids

On 1/24/2020 at 9:40 PM, Badcrumble said:

My only concern at the moment is dialling down the speed but I’ll give it a try at some point. If only all my cars weren’t in bits...

That looks exactly the same as the cheap ebay one I ordered think it was about 14 quid, did yours have throttle control or was it just full power all the time? 

11 hours ago, Forko said:

That looks exactly the same as the cheap ebay one I ordered think it was about 14 quid, did yours have throttle control or was it just full power all the time? 

I think that there is meant to be proportional throttle control (See photo above showing the manual) but I have yet to try it.

Thread resurrection!

Here is the Carson Start in the hand of a 5.75 year old 

A33E0D12-40A5-45D2-BB80-14C249D976C1.jpg

There is definitely dual rate on the steering, hard to tell in the throttle as He has been running it on a WW2.

Definitely not much fine tuning available though I do need to read the manual.

I had to trim the guide tag off the steering servo plug, the ESC plugged straight in - basic Mtroniks thingie.

El Kid loves ‘his’ controller!

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Thread resurrection!

Here is the Carson Start in the hand of a 5.75 year old 

A33E0D12-40A5-45D2-BB80-14C249D976C1.jpg

There is definitely dual rate on the steering, hard to tell in the throttle as He has been running it on a WW2.

Definitely not much fine tuning available though I do need to read the manual.

I had to trim the guide tag off the steering servo plug, the ESC plugged straight in - basic Mtroniks thingie.

El Kid loves ‘his’ controller!

Is this controller good? How does it fit in your hands ? I’m thinking of getting it. Hows the Carson brand ? 

I quite like the Carson brand - relatively cheap and cheerful.

I have three full size 2.4Ghz tx/Rx which I quite like (great for loaners) but there are obvious quality differences between them and the Flysky (or was it Turrnigy?) 5 channel tx I bought. That was something like 4x the price and had more functions but is definitely nicer in the hand.

The Start is good for small hands (I hope the pic shows that) bit I wouldn't choose it if you wanted to limit throttle / steering - I haven't properly worked it out using the manual (pics earlier in the thread. Using a well-worn WW2 for reference probably wasn't my best idea.

Build quality seems ok, I take it apart after each use to remove the batteries which means sliding the grip from unit and removing a cover. I think it will hold up for a while. If my boy is overzealous with the wheel he will break it but that is no different to any other tx of this style.

Is it better than the £14 one off eBay that someone above mentioned? I have no clue!

6 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I quite like the Carson brand - relatively cheap and cheerful.

I have three full size 2.4Ghz tx/Rx which I quite like (great for loaners) but there are obvious quality differences between them and the Flysky (or was it Turrnigy?) 5 channel tx I bought. That was something like 4x the price and had more functions but is definitely nicer in the hand.

The Start is good for small hands (I hope the pic shows that) bit I wouldn't choose it if you wanted to limit throttle / steering - I haven't properly worked it out using the manual (pics earlier in the thread. Using a well-worn WW2 for reference probably wasn't my best idea.

Build quality seems ok, I take it apart after each use to remove the batteries which means sliding the grip from unit and removing a cover. I think it will hold up for a while. If my boy is overzealous with the wheel he will break it but that is no different to any other tx of this style.

Is it better than the £14 one off eBay that someone above mentioned? I have no clue!

Thanks for your input. I think it’s the same exact radio as the $14 eBay but who stole it from who lol?

Bump.

Build a Tamiya Mad Bull for my 4yo son and was looking for a small transmitter with EPA so I bought the Carson Reflex Wheel Start as mentioned in this topic. Bought the blue one and my son is already loving it for the color only. Spend part of an afternoon and evening figuring out EPA for throttle to no avail. Became kind of frustrated so I stopped.

Started fresh one morning and got it to work. Problem is the transmitter has no digital screen and EPA is adjusted with + and - buttons and not with a rotary knob / slider so on the throttle you can't see what you are doing. Went all the way back on the - button until I heard a long beep. That was the endpoint. Trigger did nothing on the endpoint. Then slowly build it op using the + button until the trigger worked again.

We're having a slow Mad Bull now. Both on top speed as on acceleration. So I'm thinking about getting a 55T or Carson Poison motor to give him better acceleraton but haven't decided on that yet.

For now my main concern is if the EPA "sticks" to the transmitter. Hope we won't lose the adjusted endpoint on the throttle by switching the transmitter on and off a few times...

Funny... i just saw this thread after ordering 2 of these radio gear but the unbranded version in the colors that my daughters preferred. I think j came across a youtube video in how the throtte EPA was setup to slow it down and that made me decide to get a pair... i bought it from a chinese marketplace instead of ebay since ebay prices have inflated over the years and they didnt have the color my kids like... 

My son still likes the transmitter. He is driving his slow Mad Bull around the living room every morning and evening with it. If the weather permits it we will get the Mad Bull dirty this weekend.

51 minutes ago, lentner3 said:

These are great for kids. Cheap basic. Only takes a couple of batteries and performs well too. Great size for wee hands too. Pretty sure it’s the same but rebranded 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392864827214

That is exactly what I bought, but in purple and yellow...

can it be confirmed that it does have a setting for throttle D/R so I can slow down my kid's cars? 

5 minutes ago, burakol said:

That is exactly what I bought, but in purple and yellow...

can it be confirmed that it does have a setting for throttle D/R so I can slow down my kid's cars? 

🤔 I’ve lent it to my nephew so I will have to find out in a day or so. Bare with me

1 hour ago, lentner3 said:

🤔 I’ve lent it to my nephew so I will have to find out in a day or so. Bare with me

Thanks, I will await for your update. Cheers. 

Here is something i found on the tube... 

maybe you can try and verify if it indeed works? Throttle D/R should act the same even for an esc right? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, burakol said:

Here is something i found on the tube... 

maybe you can try and verify if it indeed works? Throttle D/R should act the same even for an esc right? 

Yep this is super helpful. Makes sense now.