Should I get a clodbuster for myself, I don’t have a job yet, as I’m in middle school, so I might pre order the black edition, since it’s cheaper. It would be my first solid axle mt, and I wouldn’t put a brushless in like I did w/ my lunchbox. Just for messing around, how would it handle the snow? And would one of the red 20kg servos from amazon work? TIA!

I've found a stock clod (well, I've the bullhead) goes well on silver cans on 3s, need an 860 esc though.

Handles fresh snow ok, maybe a foot deep in places, but the once it's hitting the bottom of the chassis ( see it bouncing) it could be any depth

Servo wise, I use a core rc high torque, with the longer servo horn, still not brilliant 4ws, but to get that, you'll need a duel servo conversion.

YES...you should get a Clod.

Hobbywing 880 and 3s lipo on silver cans...as stated above is a very good start. Super fun and customizable,  just don't expect blistering performance in any department. Good fun none the less.

Full set if bearings, metal anti rotation brackets and steel pinions are essential upgrades. 

2 minutes ago, Bromley said:

YES...you should get a Clod.

Hobbywing 880 and 3s lipo on silver cans...as stated above is a very good start. Super fun and customizable,  just don't expect blistering performance in any department. Good fun none the less.

Ok, thanks! It’ll be my winter project I think

Knee jerk reaction is yes but given you’re in middle school I say run what you got & save your dough because there will be something else you’ll want to spend that kind of bread on soon enough. 

I had a hornet & lunchbox when I was your age & the Clod was something I aspired to until MTB blew up (BMX was the thing up til then).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, J@mes said:

Knee jerk reaction is yes but given you’re in middle school I say run what you got & save your dough because there will be something else you’ll want to spend that kind of bread on soon enough. 

I had a hornet & lunchbox when I was your age & the Clod was something I aspired to until MTB blew up (BMX was the thing up til then).

I think I will get it, because my parents still give me a lot of stuff with my hobbies.

• Like 2

If you want a winter runner for use on snow, the G6-01 is an excellent choice. With six wide tyres giving a large contact patch, a sturdy dual servo 4-wheel steering option included as standard and 6-wheel drive via a single motor with no special ESC requirements, it has a lot going for it.

With a lower centre of gravity than the Clod, you can corner faster without tipping over, and you can make it even more stable by fitting the wider WR-02CB suspension arms and dogbones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The answer to this question is always yes.  Everyone needs a Clod once in their life.  If you turn out to not like it go ahead and sell it, but yes you need a Clodbuster!  

I have modified many Clods to the point that there's not one stock part left on them, but my advice would be to build it stock and enjoy it.  If you find it needs an upgrade after running it by all means do so.  I think the best part of owning a Clod for the first time is running it stock and making upgrades as you go.  

If you are set on upgrading from the start, definitely build it with a full bearing set, get Robinson steel pinions (the stock aluminum pinions will eat themselves in short order on 3S lipo power), and Hobbywing 860 or 880 esc.  The stock steering is not the greatest but if you're not racing or crawling with it it will be fine.  The Amazon 20kg servos are great, I use them in mostly all of my crawlers, but I use the 25 or 30kg servos in my Clods.  If you;re sticking with the one servo steering setup get the 25 or 30kg for sure.  Also, be sure to cut the steering stops from the knuckles, all the servo torque in the world wont overcome those steering stops.

Most of all, enjoy building and have fun with it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 8:26 PM, 87lc2 said:

Well...did you get one?

I think I’ll get a g601 for now, but I think it’s not a question of if, it’s a question of when!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I was growing up, Clod didn't appeal to me.  But G6 did.  

Maybe because I was listening to this horrible song, way back when I was younger. 

Subconscious decisions are scary things.  You hear "Like a G6" long enough, you get it when Tamiya releases G6.

(G6 they sing about also has 6 tires.)

wcP5Utk.jpg

Anyway, G6 is a good choice.  

I'd recommend full ball bearings from the start.  36 bushings will sap a lot of amps.  Adding bearings later will require a rebuild.  I'd also use thin grease, sparingly. There are so many gears. Most of them are an inch wide. Thicker grease can add add more resistance than bushings.   

Which G6-01, by the way?  

1 minute ago, Juggular said:

Maybe because I was listening to this horrible song, way back when I was younger. 

Subconscious decisions are scary things.  You hear "Like a G6" long enough, you get it when Tamiya releases G6.

wcP5Utk.jpg

I'd recommend full ball bearings from the start.  36 bushings will sap a lot of amps.  Adding bearings later will require a rebuild.  I'd also use thin grease, sparingly. There are so many gears. Most of them are an inch wide. Thicker grease can add add more resistance than bushings.   

Which G6-01, by the way?  

The konghead

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Wow that’s looks like incredible value!

it is isn’t it! I had to order it, just couldn’t resist! Free delivery!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, J@mes said:

it is isn’t it! I had to order it, just couldn’t resist! Free delivery!

I’m trying to resist..especially as I have a bunch of spares for it already. 

• Like 1

I guess the retailer is having a Christmas clear out prior to the new G6-01 Volvo getting released.

...sorry to hijack your Clod thread @The Twingo Lord

On 12/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, Juggular said:

wcP5Utk.jpg

Which G6-01, by the way?  

Since the clod question is answered already... @Juggular have you heard the parody of this song, 'roll a D6'. I suspect you'll like it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Since the clod question is answered already... @Juggular have you heard the parody of this song, 'roll a D6'. I suspect you'll like it

LOL, I have not heard that song before.  I just love it.  I wish I could have been the geeks who made that video!  

• Like 1