Bromley

Best value Tamiya rc kit. Opinions please....

I have been looking at what kit to buy next...as always.

I have a couple of projects/builds lined up already. So more window shopping than anything.

That got me thinking. When you look at the difference in price of the kits, they don't seem, to me anyway, quite in line with the pleasure derived from each kit. 

Example....as iconic as the Rough Rider is, for about 1/3 the price you can get a Lunchbox which is probably the next level in terms of fun. They are both eminently customizable and floored to boot. But the price difference is huge.

Obviously we all get our kicks in different ways. For some it's all about performance,  others it's scale, fidelity or the ability to customize/hopup.

So basically, what in your opinion is the best bang for buck Tamiya rc you own.

To date my best value buy has to be my CC01 Defender 90. Nice fun build, nothing too taxing, oil shocks, esc included, lights included, lovely detailed body. Then there's the replay value. Making modifications and testing them out on the trails. Even the maintenance I find enjoyable. My CC01 has probably covered more miles than the rest of my rc cars put together. 

For me its the TA07 Pro. It is an interesting build, very high quality, performs well and has endless hop ups available.  It costs more than a TT02 but in my opinion is definitely worth the extra as its a far better kit. The TB05 would be in the same category as well but I don't have one.

Unfortunately there isn't a comparable buggy, Tamiya need to release the DB03RRR

• Like 1

If you do race, the 1/14 trucks based on TT01E chassis is the new craze. They keep it fun and inexpensive. No mods except bearings (some allow metal drive cups)

• Like 1

GF-01 dump truck. Tough 4wd fun. Clod busters are a lot of cash, but they are a lot of fun and last forever, so also good value for money over their lifetime. 

• Like 4

40th anniversary 934. Great kit, loads of hop ups included, for the price i think it was great! 

Nice not to have to throw loads more money at a kit to deal with its weak points.

• Like 3

I'd say that the DT-03 deserves a mention. Despite being one of the most affordable Tamiya buggies, it has no glaring weaknesses in stock form, needing only a bearing kit to be a reliable runner with the supplied motor. However there are loads of hop-ups available for it should you want to improve and customise it. You don't even need to keep it as a buggy - it makes a great base for a stadium-style truck too!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I'd say that the DT-03 deserves a mention. Despite being one of the most affordable Tamiya buggies, it has no glaring weaknesses in stock form, needing only a bearing kit to be a reliable runner with the supplied motor. However there are loads of hop-ups available for it should you want to improve and customise it. You don't even need to keep it as a buggy - it makes a great base for a stadium-style truck too!

agreed!

and for just USD20 more you can get the dt03 black edition which includes full bearings, metal drive shafts, cva's, ht servo saver, torque tuned motor + esc. easily my best value purchase this year.

• Like 3

Oddly enough, my most expensive kit is the best value one.  The CR01 can be used almost any time since it can be driven on most surfaces, the build was complex without being tiring, and it's the only one sitting out for me to enjoy just looking at it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MockTurtle said:

agreed!

and for just USD20 more you can get the dt03 black edition which includes full bearings, metal drive shafts, cva's, ht servo saver, torque tuned motor + esc. easily my best value purchase this year.

Can't fault that!

Top force. Great performing chassis, can be easily fitted with modern or classic electrics and it's what, 179 quid. Getting close to half the price of the Avante's etc. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, taffer said:

G6-01 

Good call! Although not the cheapest model, you do get a lot for your money. 6WD, 4WS, Tamiya's longest gearbox to date, along with a fair amount of scope for mods and hop-ups. 

I'd go DT03,  4 wheel independent suspension with oil shocks, torque tuned motor, ESC plus a load of hop ups and options available,  Tamico have them for €70 👍

• Like 1

I don't even know these chassiseses you folks speak of. DZ-069 Alpha Comical, M-007, MIB-3, MIG-28? What in tarnation? 

I like my Midnight Pumpkin (shrug)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, NWarty said:

I like my Midnight Pumpkin (shrug)

The CW-01 chassis is well loved and up there as one of the most fun 😁

For me it is the wt-01, I bought it for 99 euro, I changed some things like the shock and shocktowers and put a brushless in it, over the years I changed it more, but in stock form with a few upgrades it is a good value car.

This this car is fun to drive and it is tough It is the most reliable tamiya car that I have and my favorite tamiya car, I had a lot af other tamiya cars that in the end I sold, this was my second tamiya car and I still love it.

IMG_7343.JPG

• Like 2

The Bigwig

Vintage 4wd 

10th anniversary re release, Iconic status

cheaper than a Hotshot 

Comes with full bearings, GT tuned motor, and more shocks than the Hotshot and Boomerang, same or better spec than the super Hotshot and significantly cheaper

The only Tamiya with rack and pinion steering

options for 8,4v stick packs

• Like 1

In its day at least, the DT-02. To me it was the modern day equivalent to the Hornet.
At the time it came in a package with battery and radio for around $250-ish, in great Australian disappearing South Sea Pesos.
And it came with bearings and an ESC, which when I left the hobby was unheard of. (at least I'd never heard tell).

Thats what I love about this forum and the good people who use it, LOTS of very different answers, none are wrong and no one starts to argue about what other people like.

Heres to us all.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Blista said:

Oddly enough, my most expensive kit is the best value one.  The CR01 can be used almost any time since it can be driven on most surfaces, the build was complex without being tiring, and it's the only one sitting out for me to enjoy just looking at it.

Yup same here, awful lot of kit for your hard earned. Complicated enough to really slow the build without to much repetition and keep it really interesting. Finished article is pretty big (with loads of scope for modifications) and with the cantilever suspension always cool to tinker with. Think the Rocksocker is still around €200 at Tamico. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

The Bigwig

Vintage 4wd 

10th anniversary re release, Iconic status

cheaper than a Hotshot 

Comes with full bearings, GT tuned motor, and more shocks than the Hotshot and Boomerang, same or better spec than the super Hotshot and significantly cheaper

The only Tamiya with rack and pinion steering

options for 8,4v stick packs

Would agree Snappy. I bought a re-re and was pleasantly surprised at its performance. It's a *******in' missle with an 8.4v pack in it :)

4 hours ago, NWarty said:

Would agree Snappy. I bought a re-re and was pleasantly surprised at its performance. It's a *******in' missle with an 8.4v pack in it :)

You are going to love my Christmas build then,one majorly hopped up Bigwig

• Like 3