F-150

Tamiya Brand Drivers

I have the hobby tool set from Tamiya that has the basic screw drivers and hex drivers for assembly of their kits.  I used them to assemble my BFX, but could really not see any difference between them and a cheap set of Stanley screwdrivers.  I'm wondering if the Tamiya set are really J.I.S. or standard?   I'm not even sure if they ship the kits with J.I.S. hardware either. They worked great, but it seems like I could of done it with a cheap, standard set as well.  The blades of both types of drivers look the same too.

While I'm on the subject, what is a good tool brand to use with these modern kits?

I'm looking to get a more professional set, because I am once again, addicted to Tamiya, hahha.  I plan on doing two kits this winter.

Mip tools and for a jis screwdrivers i have 2 vessel. I purchased the blue set a few years ago and wondered too about them being jis because i still had screws strip. I can also tell you the hexes on the blue set eventually wear out which is why i went to mip. 

• Thanks 1

Read the title of the thread, 1st thing that came to mind was Sammy  Screwloose.😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I also thought of the Tamiya Base's list of driver names;

https://tamiyabase.com/articles/52-things-to-know/154-drivers-names

Tamiya should be using the Japanese Industrial Standard.  I think it's Stanley that's becoming JIS.  

I have some new Stanley bits too. They fit well with Tamiya JIS screws.  German "Wiha" screw drivers fit JIS well too.  I think some kind of standardization is happening.  Old Phillips driver works on Phillips only. It's a poor fit for JIS.  But JIS fits both JIS and Phillips heads.  So if Stanley wants to have one tool-- to sell everywhere in the world, they should make it similar to JIS.  Otherwise, they'd have to build separate factories in each country to fit different screws.  

6 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Mip tools and for a jis screwdrivers i have 2 vessel. I purchased the blue set a few years ago and wondered too about them being jis because i still had screws strip. I can also tell you the hexes on the blue set eventually wear out which is why i went to mip. 

Can't find MIP screwdrivers. Seems they leave the Tamiyas and their J.I.S heads, out of the loop for hex only cars.  I ordered some of the Hex drivers tho....seems they are one of the best you can get for RC.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Bromley said:

Read the title of the thread, 1st thing that came to mind was Sammy  Screwloose.😁

Yah I was going to change the title, but......  

I bought the cheaper Tamiya standalone screwdrivers rather than the set and they seem fine. 74006 and 74007. Like you I didn't notice any real difference between them and my Stanley set but am yet to build a kit with them

MIP or Hudy are generally accepted as the best but i went for Arrowmax purple for my hex tools. They have been great and still going strong after 3 years. One thing against MIP is you can't change the tips like you can with Hudy and Arrowmax. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the blue Tamiya tool set and love them, I believe they are definitely JIS as they made a world of difference for me over regular Phillips heads that I was using in the past.  The hex drivers that come in the blue set are not great (I use MIP hex drivers), but I have used the JIS tips a ton over the past year or so and they still perform like new on Tamiya screws.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, F-150 said:

Can't find MIP screwdrivers. Seems they leave the Tamiyas and their J.I.S heads, out of the loop for hex only cars.  I ordered some of the Hex drivers tho....seems they are one of the best you can get for RC.  Thanks.

Mip doesnt make screwdrivers, the brand of the jis screwdrivers i recommended are Vessel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vessel is good.  I use Vessel #2 all the time.  For smaller screws, I prefer German Wiha #1. 

When Tamiya #1 pops out, Wiha #1 still bites on.  I don't know how the Germans made it but it both grabs smaller screws and bigger screws than Tamiya #1.  It seems to wear better too.  The handle is thinner than Tamiya.  But you shouldn't torque tiny screws hard anyway. 

One time I had to undo a tiny M2 which was superglued.  That's the only time the fat-handle of Tamiya JIS #1 was necessary.  For all other times, I prefer Wiha #1.  But the difference is microscopic.  Either will serve you fine for years.  

Pto1x7c.jpg

2L810Nr.jpg

I tried shaving the hex drivers with a knife last year. (Socrates said: "Boredom is the mother of all kinds of silliness." )  I was surprised how easy it was to cut iron hexes.  Hardened Arrowmax bits are probably 10 times stronger.  

D9tMjBz.jpg

As strong as Arrowmax is, it wears out. (below was after using it on 2 dozen hex heads. I fiddled with suspension parts, not an entire car)  Hex heads grab the driver.  If the driver is not perfectly perpendicular to the plane of the head, both must endure damages.  That's hex's strength and weakness.  Even so, these hardened drivers last a lot longer than cheap iron drivers. 

No matter which brand you get, I think a set of hardened hex drivers is a good investment.   

GC6VpYx.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Juggular said:

German Wiha #1

Ive got a set of these both blade and cross head as well as star drives. I think they are better than the Tamiya JIS ones in the set. Only disadvantage is the handles are slim so torque is limited. Which actually is not a bad thing. My best ever is a cheap ratchet driver with interchangeble heads. I use small and large phillips heads and have never really had a problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1