smirk-racing

looking for partner to design sealed diff for cw-01 & clodbuster

I have fully modded out my Lunchbox and Clodbuster and they perform well (they've lost a little of their original charm, but retain enough for my liking). The one thing I can't fix easily is the lack of sealed diffs which are tunable with oil. Adding a bit of AW grease here or there isn't enough for me. The CW-01 and Clod differentials have the same basic design, although the sizes are different, so I'd like to tackle both at once.

I am looking for someone who has cad skills, 3-d printing skills, and could help get some prototypes specified and designed, and then we could test them, and finally get them done in aluminum as final pieces. 

Anyone interested? Drop me a PM if so. I am not looking to do this commercially - either we could post the resulting designs online for free, or you could own the designs and offer the parts for sale if you liked (or even both - since designs alone are not enough for most people).

I am currently bored and curious. Do you have any ideas?

17 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

tunable with oil. Adding a bit of AW grease here or there isn't enough for me. The CW-01 and Clod differentials have the same basic design, although the sizes are different, so I'd like to tackle both at once.

Sure ;)

CW-01:

Here are some of the existing products: 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KHKZCWXSW/w01003-00-solid-axle-diff-locker-for-cw01-hornet

Those give some outside dimensions that fit in the gearbox correctly. 

For the inside, I was thinking of trying to match the design of the diff included here:

http://www.fastlanemachine.net/proddetail.php?prod=FLM20200N

I have that diff and can take measurements for the inside, and then we can figure out if they'll match the exterior measurements. The FLM diff only uses two spider gears, which I thought would never work, but so far it is holding up under extreme power, way more than could ever be used in a CW-01. So I think 2 spider gears could do the trick (maybe even TRX gears since those are plentiful).

The part I have not found is a bevel gear that would match up with the driveshaft.

396746453_ScreenShot2019-12-06at5_10_31PM.thumb.png.0159c8ad6cfb9a65703df5dc93c30824.png

Another question is whether to try to re-use the main diff gear (by bolting two cups to it) or just specifying the outer gear (just like the FLM super diff linked above). It would be more robust if the diff assembly had fewer components and if the ring gear were integrated into one of the two cup halves.

What do you think?

This is not quite the same as the FLP *super* diff but gives an idea for the components:

1474955996_ScreenShot2019-12-06at5_15_19PM.png.a5c0c6f2bf6b004f775ad75987d58bce.png

The super diff integrates the ring gear with the cup, and then there are only two main pieces. I have the newer version and I like it better - fewer pieces and less leaking.