I'm just starting my build and I need to decide what to do with the diffs. I have available diff putty, AW grease, nothing or fully locked. I was thinking diff putty rear and aw grease front. Any experiences to share?

I think it depends where you are planning to run it.  I run mine (MF01x Beetle Rally) on road only and use a heavy coat of AW grease up front and standard in back. Handles absolutely  fantastic, one of my favorite runners.  

I use mine for trails, with a locked rear and AW grease up front. Keeps up with a CC-01 under most conditions. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I use mine for trails, with a locked rear and AW grease up front. Keeps up with a CC-01 under most conditions.

Thats kind of what I had in mind. May use putty in the rear to give a little slip for quicker use as its a beetle. If I was doing a Jiminy i'd def lock the rear

• Like 1

I put clay in all 3 diffs of Konghead.  

Even if 5 other wheels slip, I wanted 1 wheel to go up a 15 degree angle.  

The front most feels like, "it might hold if I accelerate slowly. Even if only 1 front wheel has a grip and 5 others don't."   

The rear most feels like, "it might go up slowly if one rear tire bites." 

The more clay you put in, the closer it is to being locked.  I think I put in is this much in the rear, for fear of breaking something.  A little less for the front.   

GJQPDxD.jpg

For a rally chassis, this much would lock it.  I would guess about 1/2 of this would be a good starting point for the rear.   For the front, AW should be just fine.  But I use AW on M05 and M06.  I'd put in something stronger for a rally chassis like MF01X.  If so, you can also use clay for the front also.  Maybe 1/3 of the amount above?  Adding or removing a little changes a lot.  

After that, you can stick in the drive cups and try turning them with your fingers.  It was painfully slow and stiff with Konghead diffs.  I had to stick in small screw drivers to turn the drive cups for the rear.  I thought they were just stiff.  But when big tires were attached later, it was actually weaker.  Rally tires are a lot smaller, so their diffs shouldn't be that stiff.  You can get a feel for it before they are in the gearbox. If you don't like the setting, you can just undo 3 screws and adjust the amount of clay. 

• Like 1