berman

58676 TAMIYA 1/10 VOLVO A60V HAULER 6X6 G6-01

Personally, although I am still holding out for a 1/10 scale shell for the G6-01, I think it is a great addition to the Tamiya lineup. Most of their models don't have realistic underpinnings, and this is no exception, but while that might lack scale fidelity, it will no doubt improve usability as the G6-01 is a great performer. I hope it sells well!

• Like 1

So Dynahead pricetag without the portals? 

I'll pass.

Also, looking it at it more the scale look means that there no bumper, so every hit would hurt that gorgeous body!!

12 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

Yes, exactly the same price according to the price list. Can only hope it gets reduced.

13 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

Also, looking it at it more the scale look means that there no bumper, so every hit would hurt that gorgeous body!!

Not quite. The lower part of the front isn't a part of the lexan body, but a separate injection molded plastic bumper connected to chassis with 2 coil springs, just like the other G6-01 models.

83334666_2527819327344988_64258282093837

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

I'll pass.

Maybe the idea is a front impact would hit the plastic lower body/bumper under the lexan?

Ah I see that's been mentioned

So at the same price as the Konghead I'd buy this in a heartbeat (especially now it's been pointed out the bumper is separate to that cab), but I feel like the higher price is not right. Tamiya justified it on the Dynahead by including 6 portal axles, but on this it seems like a money grab.

My brain says don't buy this, but it's stunning! GAH!

The Konghead has a simple PC body. The dump bed on this requires more parts and engineering. It would be surprising if they charged the same as a Konghead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biz73 said:

The Konghead has a simple PC body. The dump bed on this requires more parts and engineering. It would be surprising if they charged the same as a Konghead.

Not to mention the Volvo license on this one may add a few bucks to Tamiya's cost.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Compare some prices of hardbodies and polycarbonate, you will be surprised how much cheaper some of the hardbodies are.

29 minutes ago, waterbok said:

Compare some prices of hardbodies and polycarbonate, you will be surprised how much cheaper some of the hardbodies are.

It looks like this one has a mix of detailed polycarb plus that multi-part hinged dump bed in hard plastic.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was pushing production costs up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterbok said:

Yes, but this has a PC and a hard body, along with the hinged bed parts as Mad Ax mentioned above. The PC body may be small, but it still takes the same labor and machines that any other PC body does.

Let see what the spares list says about prices, my bet is the unpainted PC cabin is as expensive as the rear bed. 

So I'm really struggling with this.

I "bash" my Konghead - it has a 12T brushed and 2S LiPo, it drifts around a small dirt track, takes jumps etc. My GF01 Dump Truck has the same running gear and does the same thing, so if I bought this I wouldn't want it as yet another truck for that same small track. So that got me thinking... should I build it as a 6x6 crawler with the optional 4WS? I never did that for my Konghead. Then I thought well at that stage I'll want the six portal axles, so by the time I add those and electronics, etc, etc it'll be pretty close in price (possibly a bit more than) a Traxxas TRX. It gets harder still - I don't think the portal axles are compatible with the stock wheels so that would also require 6 new wheels and tires.

TL:DR; too pretty to bash, not capable enough to crawl. I still want it though!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I don't think the portal axles are compatible with the stock wheels so that would also require 6 new wheels and tires.

Monster Beetle Trail WR02TR uses the same wheels with portals. 

• Thanks 1

So thats +100€ for a bit of added plastic on the rear

image.png.d03d1d2bf29ee81e809482c9df3503af.png

9 hours ago, waterbok said:

So thats +100€ for a bit of added plastic on the rear

Yeah, that's exactly my point.

Maybe it'll be cheap by the time I'm in Tokyo in September! (Plus I can save on shipping)

I like it! Shame they put such a premium on the price though.

But in terms of the actual truck it's just like the Heavy dump truck and the Konghead had a baby so it gets a thumbs up from me.

I like how some thought went into the bed design, replacing that 'plate' setup for the battery retainer. I guess it does (sadly) mean no remote 'tipping' with a servo will be possible :lol:

Just ordered one!

I think it's a great release, shame portals not included for the price, that delayed me making an instant purchase when it was first released.

The dynahead is a better kit for the price but this has better looks!

I am not surprised you got one @taffer, you pretty much have/had most of the G6/GF range! I am in the same basket as @lsear2905, want one, bit too expensive, have a konghead and a dump truck, still want one, on fence, still want one, can understand price, cant justify price, still want one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As with most things, prices will probably continue to creep up, so £215 from fusion hobbies is ok, wish it was £180!

• Like 2

I refuse to pay the Pandemic Price!  

Sport Tuned motor used to cost $16 before Covid.  Now, Amazon, Tower and AMain are selling it for $24.  That's 33% more now.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

I refuse to pay the Pandemic Price!  

Sport Tuned motor used to cost $16 before Covid.  Now, Amazon, Tower and AMain are selling it for $24.  That's 33% more now.  

Technically, that's 50% more ;)

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Technically, that's 50% more ;)

lol... you are right.  I got it wrong. I was thinking $24 to $16 is 33% less.