Sign in to follow this  
F-150

Bashing a new Blackfoot Xtreme

I don't know why I am asking this, because I'm going to do it anyways, but would you bash and ride hard, a 2005 Blackfoot Xtreme kit?  These worth anything at all anymore?  

I bought it back in 2005 and just assembled it last January and the body/electronics have yet to be finished. As soon as I do though I'm letting it rip, flip and basically, destroy it lol.

Here it is in the current state of assembly.

IMG_20190128_110723.jpg

IMG_20190128_144908.jpg

• Like 2

I'd bash it, but I'd do a few things to it first.

The BFX shell is both pretty and heavy, as well as being quite hard to replace these days. Great for shelf display, but a more expendable, robust and lighter alternative would be better for running. The Wild Dagger/Sandshaker/Stadium Raider shell is a good fit and easily available. That is what I run on mine. It has survived multiple rollovers with no cracks.

The stock shocks and towers are not great - you'll have a far better time with longer oil shocks and taller towers. Alloy ones are available from several manufacturers (I use GPM) and carbon ones are available from Fibre-lyte. Pretty much any 95mm oil shock is better than stock. I use generic Chinese ones sold as Fastrax in the UK.

And of course rubber-sealed bearings and a steel pinion are a good idea, if you haven't fitted them already.

Then yes, take it out and have fun! It is a robust and capable chassis great for general bashing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have cheap oil shocks called "team BlueStar" that are a direct fit for Wt-01 using stock mounting. I was thinking of the long towers and such, but if I get those I will end up getting all the blue aluminum parts easily spending 160.00 more on this truck. I decided to keep it stock stroke but improved oil ones.  It's fully sealed bearings equipped with Fast Eddy. Painting it silver with black wheels in a week or so, then putting in my new FlySky FS-5 radio gear when it comes. Motor is a BZ stock, but breaking things in with the silver can first. Thanks for the body suggestion.

• Like 1

I know that once one starts down the path of blue alloy, it is hard to stop. That is why I went for silver towers on mine, like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/183869447514

They don't look out of place on an otherwise stock chassis, so don't precipitate a hop-up cascade. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have one that I run every chance I get (which isn't a lot these days, but its usually ready to go). Mine is stock apart from bearings and a sport tuned motor, and they are good fun. I must remember to glue the tires to the rims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received a new one of these in a big lot of RC parts I bought about 2 years ago.  It was built and I completed the body and sold it on Ebay for around $325 if I remember correctly.   I drove it briefly and was very underwhelmed with it, but seems like other members like it.  Just wanted to share my experience as far as what I got out of a new built example (with original box, manual, etc).  I'd go ahead and sell it.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to agree with @87lc2. While the WT-01 is certainly more durable than the average Tamiya, I managed to fracture the shock mounting holes in the gearbox and the gearbox mounting lugs from reasonably moderate use (granted over many many years of use). I never really flipped it, barrel rolled it or crashed into any solid objects either. I'm sure others will have different experiences. If you want something to pound on, I highly suggest a Traxxas Stampede. Even at the high speeds the mere brushed version cruises at, nothing's broken yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I'm going to agree with @87lc2. While the WT-01 is certainly more durable than the average Tamiya, I managed to fracture the shock mounting holes in the gearbox and the gearbox mounting lugs from reasonably moderate use (granted over many many years of use). I never really flipped it, barrel rolled it or crashed into any solid objects either. I'm sure others will have different experiences. If you want something to pound on, I highly suggest a Traxxas Stampede. Even at the high speeds the mere brushed version cruises at, nothing's broken yet.

You read my mind with the Stampede comment.  I bought a cheap 2WD Bigfoot version a while back and it is a really wll sorted truck.  Haven't broken a thing yet and it handles wonderfully.  Also takes jumps nearly perfectly, I really enjoy mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought about selling it as a new build and make twice the money I bought it for, but the urge of driving it in the snow and mud, has overtaken those ambitions. 

The only hop-ups are full, sealed bearings and Oil shocks. I would like to go full aluminum and bigger shocks, but I'm thinking it will be a fun truck no matter what and I don't feel like investing another 70 dollars into it. So....a nice paint job and I'm happy with this build.

I also have my Super BlackFoot I purchased in 1994 and it has sat on the shelf all this time. I plan to assemble it box stock with box art, for a shelf piece, possibly one battery or two, just to say it has run, but will be a show piece, as I don't believe this one should be bashed and is worth more than a BFX. I also don't believe in leaving them in the box, it needs to see daylight and be assembled like it should be.  I should be getting to this in about a month.

IMG_20191208_091704[1].jpg

IMG_20191208_091758[1].jpg

• Like 2

The Super Blackfoot is cool, that would be a keeper for me.  Have fun with the extreme, post up some pics after you get it nice and muddy :)

7 hours ago, Saito2 said:

4 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

You read my mind with the Stampede comment.  I bought a cheap 2WD Bigfoot version a while back and it is a really wll sorted truck.  Haven't broken a thing yet and it handles wonderfully.  Also takes jumps nearly perfectly, I really enjoy mine.

Yeah get a brushed stampede if you want a robust rc truck. I still bend, break bits (I am rough with it, and let peoples other kids use it), but it's only small fry $5 parts, and very few and far between.

HHvwnop.jpg

• Like 1

I run a 3300kv brushless system in my Pede and haven't broken anything yet, but I'm not too hard on it.   That body looks killer on there, especially in black.  Nice truck.

9 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

I run a 3300kv brushless system in my Pede and haven't broken anything yet, but I'm not too hard on it.   That body looks killer on there, especially in black.  Nice truck.

Thanks. I had a VXL 4X4 stampede (with some of the necessary alloy upgrades, motor mount, the bearing spacer behind the spur gear, shock caps, lower pinion, proline trenchers and 3s, even with the telemetry that velineon still got too hot. Also had a slash 4X4 ultimate LCG with similar upgrades and LCG 2WD Raptor with a 3800 castle combo with upgrades, but sold them all, as the stock brushed 2wd monster jam pede above was more fun.

They really are great for a stock truck.

• Like 1

Great trucks, strong as anything.

It’s a waste wrecking it though as they are coming hard to find in good order. 

I’d keep it nice or sell it tbh.