Pablo68

Pro Tips

29 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Isn’t the Beer rule number one???

OMG yes!!! Of course it is! 

I blame it on me being UP for 27 hours straight, whilst my Daughter gave me another Grandson!!! 4 hours ago and I STILL can't sleep. 😖

But yes - BEER Number one Rule! 🍻🍻

• Like 2

Not too sure about pro tips, thought about it over PG Tips – polishing shock springs is a pain in the bottom...

Must have been done before!

image.thumb.jpg.1c11c9725de2ba733b261cffabb4712c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When using superglue from the new 'control' bottle that they sell it in, give it a gentle squeeze and then watch in shock and horror as a massive amount comes flying out of the tip putting super glue all over everything you don't want it on....

Gah!

• Haha 5

Always make sure that you count the number of screws in your build 3 times at least, and also include spares, when you're planning a complete screw kit from different sources. The last page of most (if not all) Tamiya manuals is a good place to see totals of screw sizes (plus spares), so you don't have to add up the number of BA1 screws in Bag A, Bag B, Bag C, and Bag D, add some spares, and then repeat for BA2... I found this out after I'd finished doing it the long way.

• Like 4

Good one @DeadMeat666 

Here's mine, learned last night... Never EVER run your Car, with soft Tires, without gluing the Tires on - EVER!! 

Don't ask me how I know, just go look at my last post in my M05 Build Thread. 😖

• Like 2

Always go for that extra little finishing touch when painting, it will never completely screw things up

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

And legend has it that those two Tamiya Fox C-rings are still to this day sitting somewhere in this room wishing they could be found and put back in their rightful place but know deep down they shall only be found when they are no longer needed.....
Actually I lost them about an hour ago.
It seems impossible but there actually is something worse than the E-clip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/30/2020 at 2:18 PM, Carmine A said:

Good one @DeadMeat666 

Here's mine, learned last night... Never EVER run your Car, with soft Tires, without gluing the Tires on - EVER!! 

Don't ask me how I know, just go look at my last post in my M05 Build Thread. 😖

Aah, yes, that one!

Years ago I decided to run a TA05-IFS at a local indoor club.  I'd built plenty of Tamiya tourers before but only with those hard treaded tyres and I'd only ran them outdoors on tarmac.

When I built the TA, everybody told me I should run Sorex 24 tyres for the carpet track.  But I didn't have any and the club didn't keep stock, so I figured I'd buy some for next week.  In the mean time, I would have to run the car with the stock Tamiya slicks, which are pretty soft and grippy.

However, I didn't want to glue the tyres on.  a) because the car came without any foams (why sell a chassis with wheels and tyres but no foams..?) and 2) because I didn't want to buy pre-glued tyres on those horrible white flat-face wheels - I wanted to campaign my entry with the proper spoked wheels that came with the car.

So I set my car down on the start line, all ready to head off in round 1.

The timer bleeped down and called my number.

I hit the throttle.

The car stayed still.  All 4 tyres flew 3 feet into the air, then raced down the start straight on their own.

It was almost as funny as that time when the tape came up at entry to the start straight, and my car managed to go underneath the carpet.  I managed to do the entire start straight underneath the carpet.  That was a red flag moment, as the carpet had to be lifted up and re-taped.

• Haha 6

@Mad Ax I feel your pain!! 😖

At least I wasn't at a Track... It was the first run though. I just didn't have any Glue. Hooked up my 3S Battery, and did a few slow passes. Looked good.

Then I hit the Throttle.... She BOLTED!! Then, somewhere over 30mph, flung one Tire right off! 😳  The other managed to stay on, although off the bead. I felt really lucky though. I OVERENGINEERED my front end to practically ZERO slop!! 😁  Because of that, I was able to safely stop in a straight line - ON THREE TIRES!! Destroyed one Wheel though. 

3S on a M Chassis - what could go wrong!? 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Always attach ball connectors at each end of your steering turnbuckle to ensure a good half an hour of forensic searching in the park for said turnbuckle.

• Haha 3

So yeah, if anyone out there has any C rings for the Fox that they aren't using, drop me a line. No idea where mine went....

On 9/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, Pablo68 said:

So yeah, if anyone out there has any C rings for the Fox that they aren't using, drop me a line. No idea where mine went....

Quoting myself, the ultimate in narcissism, I found em!

Both still on the gearbox halves I removed them from. Everything was covered in grease/schmutz so when they popped off they didn't go far.
Nuts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not sure if this one has been said yet but here goes.

When using a set of pliers or snips, ensure the part of the underside of your finger, or a fleshy part of your palm is between the rear of the pivot point of same so that they get pinched when you close them really hard.
For me, this is a tradition.

• Haha 6

This thread, it possibly sounds like a big whinge, or that I have two left hands that consist of nothing but thumbs.

This isn't actually the case though. I just like having a place to put all these incidents/accidents for a bit of a laugh, and just to see how many others do similar or the same.

If my RC hobby experience was anywhere near as concentrated in terms of **** ups as this thread I doubt I'd be so enthusiastic about it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

If my RC hobby experience was anywhere near as concentrated in terms of **** ups as this thread I doubt I'd be so enthusiastic about it.

I am tempted to set up a full-time live video feed above my workbench so the rest of the world can calculate my balls-up-to-success ratio 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I am tempted to set up a full-time live video feed above my workbench so the rest of the world can calculate my balls-up-to-success ratio 

You Go right ahead.... If I did that, my ratio would be too far in the NEGATIVE numbers to calculate! 😜😂

• Like 2

Not a tip but a question:  Why does it seem like 95% of the time that you drop a part or a screw/washer/nut, it rolls UNDER your workbench instead of out onto the floor where it's easy to find and retrieve?  You would think my floor was on a 45 downward slope with the propensity of parts to roll away and under my bench.  

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Pro Tip Use a mgnetic floormat in front of your Floormat.

I think its the Same reason why microscrews always land inthe Carpet instead of the hardwood Floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A SERIOUS Pro Tip!  How many times have you experienced the pure unadulterated HATRED of E-Clips on your Builds?? Someone I know just told me about a Tool that frankly, is a MIRACLE!!! IMG_20200902_170456.thumb.jpg.173b831463f9cb38b2a6f3037878bc75.jpg

Sold on Amazon, it is specifically an E-Clip TOOL! IMG_20200902_170610.thumb.jpg.6f021b74ae82ab3c25be5c67c93bfd10.jpg

Spring loaded to hold the Clip SECURELY until it clips in!! 😁👍👍 

If I was able to get one, I'd love to tell you how it works.... But I've heard many recommendations, all positive - and I've seen Videos showing how well and how easy it works! Private not by the Company! 😉 

If anyone gets this set, I'd love your opinion on how it works for you.

• Like 3

Always use ‘Satin‘ varnish for that shiny gloss look on the vintage Bear Hawks body you have been sanding and painting all week!

• Sad 4

So, you're working on a buggy around where the motor is and you drop a screw.
Make sure you look all over your workspace, get up, move your chair, chack the floor, look under the bed etc.......BEFORE you look at the motor and see said screw stuck to the side of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ALWAYS the last place I look.... After nearly 40 years in the Hobby - STILL haven't!!! 😖😜  Ahhhhh.... The joys of growing OLD!IMG_20200930_224016.thumb.jpg.8e48ba8cf26b86843cab065605a3d0ab.jpg

• Haha 3

On 9/17/2020 at 9:04 AM, whahooo said:

Pro Tip Use a mgnetic floormat in front of your Floormat.

I think its the Same reason why microscrews always land inthe Carpet instead of the hardwood Floor.

Reason No. 10964 why I don't do YouTube build videos.

Just me, dropping parts, dropping tools, looking on the floor for parts and tools, over and over again.

Only a diehard lover of pain and punishment could watch that, and I don't think they allow such non-family friendly fare on YouTube.

• Haha 4