Pablo68

Pro Tips

@silvertriple I’ve seen these on the Tamiya legends channel but ignored it. But now it’s got a TC member recommendation I’m getting one. 

6 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@silvertriple I’ve seen these on the Tamiya legends channel but ignored it. But now it’s got a TC member recommendation I’m getting one. 

It's incredibly efficient for this purpose compared to any other ways I tried in the past...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

It's incredibly efficient for this purpose compared to any other ways I tried in the past...

Yes, I’m in! Already got one in my digital basket! Thanks.

19 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I think we can all agree that CA glue makes for a horrible finger-paint…

It's no PVA that's for sure!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silvertriple said:

There was an index hobby knife in my wife's scrap booking stuff... I tried, and it's GREAT!

KWGNa4Z.jpg

15 minutes to trim a CLK-GTR Bodyshell, wheel arches included, clean and perfect cut. Never had found this so easy : you put the knife on your index, and you follow the cut line. This is really easy and the cut is perfect. Won't look back to over ways to trim a bodyshell. Trying means adopted.

I must revise the judgement : it's not efficient. The right word is magic : I've just trimmed the body shell of my son's Calibra TA02 in just 5 minutes (wheel arches were already done)...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silvertriple said:

There was an index hobby knife in my wife's scrap booking stuff... I tried, and it's GREAT!

KWGNa4Z.jpg

15 minutes to trim a CLK-GTR Bodyshell, wheel arches included, clean and perfect cut. Never had found this so easy : you put the knife on your index, and you follow the cut line. This is really easy and the cut is perfect. Won't look back to over ways to trim a bodyshell. Trying means adopted.

Must steal one of these....

4 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

I must revise the judgement : it's not efficient. The right word is magic : I've just trimmed the body shell of my son's Calibra TA02 in just 5 minutes (wheel arches were already done)...

I recently bought one and used it only on two tricky areas of a Terra Conqueror body shell by Penguin, very handy. I used scissors on the longer sides and other areas of the shell. Did you use this little index finger knife for the score and snap method along the body?

Just now, Kol__ said:

I recently bought one and used it only on two tricky areas of a Terra Conqueror body shell by Penguin. I used scissors on the longer sides. Did you use this little index finger knife for the score and snap method along the body?

Yes, I only used the index finger knife : index pushing the blade against the line, one finger in the same hand serve as guide, and the other hand move the body. I took scissors to cut at the angles, and then I bend the lexan and it goes. Done. Never thought it could be so easy...

• Like 2

Ooh, I've got one of those somewhere, but I never got on with it.  A lot of my problem may have been poor-quality blades (including the one that came with it) - I needed to use so much force to make it cut, I got cramp in my finger.  I might try it again with my Swann-Morton blades, if they fit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Ooh, I've got one of those somewhere, but I never got on with it.  A lot of my problem may have been poor-quality blades (including the one that came with it) - I needed to use so much force to make it cut, I got cramp in my finger.  I might try it again with my Swann-Morton blades, if they fit.

Not sure Swann-Morton scalpel blades will fit. They seem more like Xacto blades, at least the one I have from Hobbycraft ( not Friskars) are.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

If you have a grinder of some sort you can make them fit. :)  I use Swann-Morton in a scalpel handle but sure gonna try out one of these index finger knives now.

BUMP!!!!!

Ok, this time, THIS TIME I swear it's going to be a simple tidy up/refresh of this RC chassis and not a full on rebuild.

(time passes and I realise that the chassis is a lot more flogged out than I previously thought)

Oh, I'm doing a full rebuild again, going to need some parts......how? why?

Finally, I say this sparingly cause you never know what the other guy is going through, some people don't deserve RC cars.

Another bump.

I think this has already been said in this thread but here goes (probably again).

Whenever using your end cutters or pointy nose pliers with some force, make sure you have part of your fingers/hands between the handles so that they get pinched when whatever you are doing finally gives.

The pain is great....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Don’t forget your reading glasses (if old) while out setting up your car.. :blink:  

@Pablo68 hope you heel soon!!  ouch!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I once thought it would be a good idea to take up (or try too) learning to fly rc helicopter but soon realised you can't have a small accident with a rc helicopter and got a bit board with having to go home with unrecognisable bits that once was a helicopter:unsure: anyway one of those trips out I'd travelled for a good hour and a half upon arrival opening the boot (trunk I think its called in the USA?) Talking to the guru who was giving me guidance I noticed I had forgotten my helicopter:wacko:........I think then that's when I thought this just isn't for me?

Pro tip is! Have lots of patient's and good eyes to rebuild it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, moffman said:

I once thought it would be a good idea to take up (or try too) learning to fly rc helicopter

Let me guess, this was the early days of RC choppers rather than the gyro GPS everything these days? Those old choppers are hard to fly right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Let me guess, this was the early days of RC choppers rather than the gyro GPS everything these days? Those old choppers are hard to fly right.

Well kinda! It was in the very early days of gyros definitely no GPS and only if you were a complete diehard rc helicopter fan or a actual pilot (and I'm neither) you would understand how it actually works:blink: but more importantly my theory on get a small rc helicopter trex 250 in my case was the way to go but apparently that definitely not the way because smaller is a lot more twitchy so I swapped for the 450 which was better but I just got a bit disheartened when I had 3 seconds in the air then days waiting for parts and then fitting time then it happens again and again and again even with the training gear didn't guarantee a successful flight!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Don't eat yellow snow.

Hey man! You don't get to tell me what to do!!!

I'm going to eat the yellow snow!

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, moffman said:

I once thought it would be a good idea to take up (or try too) learning to fly rc helicopter but soon realised you can't have a small accident with a rc helicopter and got a bit board with having to go home with unrecognisable bits that once was a helicopter:unsure: anyway one of those trips out I'd travelled for a good hour and a half upon arrival opening the boot (trunk I think its called in the USA?) Talking to the guru who was giving me guidance I noticed I had forgotten my helicopter:wacko:........I think then that's when I thought this just isn't for me?

Pro tip is! Have lots of patient's and good eyes to rebuild it!

Helicopters are a very different animal to buggies.

• Like 1

Hello. My name is Pablo.
I like to buy 2nd hand basket case buggies and then fix them back up to running.
Right now I am fixing up an old Egress. It may not quite be what it seems to be though. Some of the parts are off an Avante. Others I'm not sure.

Why do I do this to myself?

4 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Hello. My name is Pablo.
I like to buy 2nd hand basket case buggies and then fix them back up to running.
Right now I am fixing up an old Egress. It may not quite be what it seems to be though. Some of the parts are off an Avante. Others I'm not sure.

Why do I do this to myself?

Pictures or it doesn't count!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

Tomorrow, my time.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:15 AM, Mad Ax said:

Yeah, I just use an Olfa utility knife and just score/snap as @Kol__ mentioned.  I also use scissors, curved scissors, several files, etc.  where applicable... and hope.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

Ok, as promised.

The first pic is the overal chassis, notice the Avante suspension parts on the rear.
Second pic, The Avante rear bumper that was on there for some unknown reason.

Third pic, Front end. It's Egress I think, but the solid part with the bumper attached and the two brass threaded inserts, I haven't seen that in any Egress manual (I think?).
Thos two tie rod things with the large threaded rods, I think I know where they were....and how they were supposed to go on, but I opted for turnbuckles and ball ends....and I'm going to keep it that way.
Lookin at it so far I don't think this is a chassis the purists will get too upset about.
Oh, also it has a power splitter center diff thing instead of a one way, which was in the manual.

Let me know what you think.

Egress2.jpg

Egress3.jpg

Egress4.jpg

• Like 2