Jump to content
Pablo68

Pro Tips

Recommended Posts

As a corollary to @Rainman's post, there should be a Pro Tips post on all parenting sites that goes something like:

Do ensure that you have your running shoes on always, so that when you spot that really dangerous thing that you left in reach of grasping child hands, which you had never until now even noticed posed any kind of hazard at all, you can sprint for it in time to avert certain disaster.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

As a corollary to @Rainman's post, there should be a Pro Tips post on all parenting sites that goes something like:

Do ensure that you have your running shoes on always, so that when you spot that really dangerous thing that you left in reach of grasping child hands, which you had never until now even noticed posed any kind of hazard at all, you can sprint for it in time to avert certain disaster.

This is very true.
I found over time that eventually all the breakable and dangerous things got moved to places out of the reach of children.

But there was always that one thing you forgot from time to time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUMP!!

Ok, when doing busy work on your buggies, i.e. putting a new 2.4ghz receiver in, make sure not to put your buggy on a stand that is literally right next to you and turn the car on. (Isn't it great that we don't have to use MSC's and AM systems any more....so much easier). The watch your buggy shoot across the bench top while you wildly grab at it to turn it off again.
(I was binding the Rx)

Next, When using cable ties to tidy up your wiring, make sure you pick the bag of them up upside down so that they spill out (you didn't close the bag last time did you?) evenly across the bench, your lap and the floor.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Next, When using cable ties to tidy up your wiring, make sure you pick the bag of them up upside down so that they spill out (you didn't close the bag last time did you?) evenly across the bench, your lap and the floor.

Trick is to put a small slice half way up the bag on the side.

They don't fall out, poke your fingers in the hole, pinch one and pull it out through the opening. :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you have a restoration project to start and you know you're going to move to another place for a while, make sure you time it right:

-First off, start the restoration. Strip down the car to the last freakin' screw and put the parts in as many different canfy boxes as possible. Bonus tip: label them with dollarstore post-its so that the labels peel off and get all mixed up.

-Now you can unsafely move to the other place. If possible get the boxes lost of further mixed up in the moving process. Turn them over too, for good measure.

-Once you are in your new place you can get going on the restoration again, while you bask in feelings of loss and confusion trying to figure out what you left behind

-Make sure you occupy as much room as possible and that you scatter the parts all over the place like a 2-y-old would do. You don't want a boring, streamline restoration work where all the components are on one single table and you don't have to go hunting around the house every time you need a different tool.

-Stretch the contemplation phase of your work to the extent to which by the time you start actually working, it's too late and you have to go do something else.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

small slice half way up the bag

Of course!!!

How can something thats now so obvious have eluded me for 40 years. I now need to tape up the opening in the top of the bag. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never paint a shell when u are tired, bored, drunk or simply trying to get it done. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Of course!!!

How can something thats now so obvious have eluded me for 40 years. I now need to tape up the opening in the top of the bag. 

 

I thought the same thing when a wise colleague showed me only a few years ago :lol:

 

5 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

Never paint a shell when u are tired, bored, drunk or simply trying to get it done. 

I'm usually experiencing 3 out of 4 of those at the same time when I paint my race shells. I won't say which though :lol:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you haven't already, make sure that you experience the unbridled joy that is the E-clip.
Be amazed as you try fit these to various shafts on your RC cars. Be mystified at how some just decide to go on with no bother while others point blank refuse.

You too could be like me listening intently for where it landed after deciding to fling off into the ether. Be like me as I look everywhere on my desk, on the floor, everywhere in my room, my large jaw jutting out, rubbing my prominent brow ridge and scratching and my sagital crest while immense amounts of time are lost building or fixing a model due to that one tiny clip.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

If you haven't already, make sure that you experience the unbridled joy that is the E-clip.
Be amazed as you try fit these to various shafts on your RC cars. Be mystified at how some just decide to go on with no bother while others point blank refuse.

You too could be like me listening intently for where it landed after deciding to fling off into the ether. Be like me as I look everywhere on my desk, on the floor, everywhere in my room, my large jaw jutting out, rubbing my prominent brow ridge and scratching and my sagital crest while immense amounts of time are lost building or fixing a model due to that one tiny clip.

^^^ THIS.

Had Tamiya not provided two spare e-clips (yes it happened twice) in the bag when I was building my DF03, this happening would have completely halted the assembly for 4 weeks (!) until I got a new set of e-clips shipped in from God-knows-where. There are no local hobby shops where I live.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anytime u run your car close to your house as a quick run to test stuff, always bring tools to take apart and quickly fix an issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 8:56 PM, Pablo68 said:

Back in the day, when you couldn't afford a fancy quick battery charger with a timer on it, hook up your ni-cad battery to a car battery using quick charge leads.
Walk away and do something else and completely forget about it.
Come back to check when you hear a dull thud and a series of popping and spraying noises.
(I was a young fella)

Do this several times over intervening years especially when you feel like trudging to the LHS to buy a new battery you can't really afford either.

Ahh yes how many batteries I melted.. as well as the front grill trim on my mothers 1980 Supra

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

If you haven't already, make sure that you experience the unbridled joy that is the E-clip.
Be amazed as you try fit these to various shafts on your RC cars. Be mystified at how some just decide to go on with no bother while others point blank refuse.

You too could be like me listening intently for where it landed after deciding to fling off into the ether. Be like me as I look everywhere on my desk, on the floor, everywhere in my room, my large jaw jutting out, rubbing my prominent brow ridge and scratching and my sagital crest while immense amounts of time are lost building or fixing a model due to that one tiny clip.

**** you e-clips!!! I despise you!! 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always use Tamiya brush paints. They provide less coverage than Pamela Anderson's bathing suits.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, you are working on an old Kyosho Assault that was a pile of parts that was gifted to you some ~32 years ago. As it was very much incomplete you are making a Scorpion/Assault frankenstein Hybrid, and as a fairly straight forward build/mod it is fighting you all the way.
As there were no shocks to speak of you buy the Kyosho Scorpion HG Shocks set.
Ensure that to make things convenient you lose or possibly even throw out the build instructions that came with them. Then go and realise that you can't find them on line anywhere...

Sigh....

If anyone here has a copy of those build instructions I don't suppose you could scan and send them to me?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

So, you are working on an old Kyosho Assault that was a pile of parts that was gifted to you some ~32 years ago. As it was very much incomplete you are making a Scorpion/Assault frankenstein Hybrid, and as a fairly straight forward build/mod it is fighting you all the way.
As there were no shocks to speak of you buy the Kyosho Scorpion HG Shocks set.
Ensure that to make things convenient you lose or possibly even throw out the build instructions that came with them. Then go and realise that you can't find them on line anywhere...

Sigh....

If anyone here has a copy of those build instructions I don't suppose you could scan and send them to me?
 

I think the HG’s are longer than the original shocks. Either way, here ya go!

AB53A76C-009C-459A-BF98-B26CA9FE32AF.jpeg

B332B4C1-1068-42C6-947D-AA50E1F64970.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 2:41 PM, Falcon#5 said:

Trick is to put a small slice half way up the bag on the side.

They don't fall out, poke your fingers in the hole, pinch one and pull it out through the opening. :)


take them all out and use 1 tie wrap around them 

each time you take a few then tighten the one around them :)

takes up less room and you can see exactly how many you have left 

 

JJ

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't buy cheap double sided tape. 3m is the industry leader for a reason.

Don't forget to remove your DC charger from under the hood before venturing out for a crawl. It makes an ugly sparky boom.

Don't put your fingie where you wouldn't put your dingie.

Start your car wheels off the ground.

Never, ever, ever run a 1/5 scale without a failsafe.

Always be skeptical of your radio range and test when ever possible. This single thing has burnt me more than once with a few spektrums I've tried. Especially on my 1/5 scale stuff.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I think the HG’s are longer than the original shocks. Either way, here ya go!

AB53A76C-009C-459A-BF98-B26CA9FE32AF.jpeg

B332B4C1-1068-42C6-947D-AA50E1F64970.jpeg

Dude I could kiss you! (don't judge)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Are they the same as the bigger bore ones that come on the re re javelin and optima?

I don't know, I did looks at a few kit instructions and all their buggies seem to have standard shocks, these are more of an upgrade I think. I kind of bought these thinking they were the standard ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget to read the darn box to see what’s included and more importantly what’s not.  I guess I’ve just been buying run of the mill kits so I assumed everything mostly came with motor and ESC.  Nothing worse than building your car and getting to the electronics part and looking all over the place, under the boxes, through the trash, asking/interrogating my wife and kids if they’ve seen the bag with the ESC.  Only to find out the Top Force doesn’t come with an ESC. It comes with a stock silver can but no ESC.  Darn it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 5:52 AM, SupraChrgd82 said:

I think the HG’s are longer than the original shocks. Either way, here ya go!

AB53A76C-009C-459A-BF98-B26CA9FE32AF.jpeg

B332B4C1-1068-42C6-947D-AA50E1F64970.jpeg

Finally stopped procrastinating last night and built these *******ing things.....and you are absolutely right, longer than standard, and the diameter makes them too big to fit at any rate.
Oh well, looks like I have a spare set of shocks rattling around. I might tey to swap them with the shocks on my OG Ultima.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

Finally stopped procrastinating last night and built these *******ing things.....and you are absolutely right, longer than standard, and the diameter makes them too big to fit at any rate.
Oh well, looks like I have a spare set of shocks rattling around. I might tey to swap them with the shocks on my OG Ultima.

I have a spare set of front carbon shock mounts for the longer shocks.  Yours free if you don't mind covering postage.  I might even have a rear.  I'll have to check the parts bin.

I also have spare OEM re-re shocks, same price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...