Sign in to follow this  
Smokescreen38

240z: Vintage look rally/dirt tire wheel combination recommendation?

5 minutes ago, Smokescreen38 said:

Thanks! I do love those wheels (and I have them for my 1:1 scale car too :) 

which dirt tires would fit?  

What's your 1:1 that wears minilites?

If I read the specs right they are a 50 mm or 1.9" wheel. Seems a bit big to me but stretching a set of 1.7s may look right and hold shape well enough with firm foams. The struggle is trying to maintain enough sidewall height.

thanks again, guys. 

my 1:1 with minilite (style) wheels is my old Dodge Dart that I’m gradually building with the intent of making it a semi period-correct backroads/canyon carver. Im badword-bent on sticking with 15” wheels even if tire choices are drying up. 

I’ve had that car for most of my life (bought it when I was 17) and it’s basically a family member at this point. I overshare pictures of it as 73dodgedartsport on Instagram.

1061BE24-68EF-4647-936D-8D69466EE3AF.jpeg

• Like 4

They don't have much scale sidewall, but i have started using Schumacher SST on my road/rally cars and thry work great. They are a pretty tight fit on 1.9" race wheels too so i haven't had to glue them which is a bonus. For proper rally blocks just search "rally block tires" on ebay and you'll find cheap sets including wheels which tend to work well. 

16 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

What's your 1:1 that wears minilites?

If I read the specs right they are a 50 mm or 1.9" wheel. Seems a bit big to me but stretching a set of 1.7s may look right and hold shape well enough with firm foams. The struggle is trying to maintain enough sidewall height.

If the tyre is 64mm as per their spec, which is the same as normal 1/10 touring car slicks, the wheel must be smaller than a normal 1/10 touring car 50mm/1.9" to achieve that much sidewall.

Normal 1/10 touring car wheels are equivalent to a 20 or 21" 1:1 wheel when used with most tamiya shells. Those VTA wheels look more like a 17" or 18".

• Like 1

Those wheels that include a bit of fake sidewall might be the answer. Then you can run rally blocks and still have a visually appropriate wheel size. 

55d5917b0623281061c00fc4-large.jpg?cache

• Like 1

VTA tires have a false sidewall to give the appearance of a smaller wheel. The bead size is still 1.9", so any 26mm touring tire will fit. You can paint the lip on the wheel and have it look ok.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 5:38 AM, Big Jon said:

VTA tires have a false sidewall to give the appearance of a smaller wheel. The bead size is still 1.9", so any 26mm touring tire will fit. You can paint the lip on the wheel and have it look ok.

Doesn't look that way on the protoform VTA wheels/tyres. Either the tyres are >64mm OD or the wheels are <50mm/1.9" OD, because there is no fake sidewall as far as I can see and they are significantly higher profile than 1/10 TC wheels/tyres.

JyBAMSi.png

QSu67s4.png

The protoform / HPI vintage wheels and tyres are assymetric with a deeper lip on the outside face only. The wheels and tyres are only compatible with each other

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Doesn't look that way on the protoform VTA wheels/tyres. Either the tyres are >64mm OD or the wheels are <50mm/1.9" OD, because there is no fake sidewall as far as I can see and they are significantly higher profile than 1/10 TC wheels/tyres.

JyBAMSi.png

QSu67s4.png

Look at a VTA wheel without a tire mounted, and it'll make sense. There's a false sidewall on the tire that goes over a lip on the wheel.