smirk-racing

Xv-01 long damper vs regular?

Hi all,

I am looking to convert my XV-01 from regular to long damper spec. 

Are the only differences as follows:

Damper eyelets (longer)

damper stays (taller)

sway bars (to help control body roll)

thanks!

The shocks on xv01 are CVA super mini, the dampers on the long damper spec are CVA mini dampers. this will be the fastest easiest swap over. 

I suggest considering GF01 Damper set 54670, if your looking for more travel, these are slightly longer again than CVA mini and perform considerably better. either will come with long enough eyelets. You may want to limit the travel slightly, or grind suspension parts to take full advantage of the extra travel, if you do this sway bars are mandatory. You’ll want a full host of springs to get it setup right, trf501x front spring set are great on the rear, the trf201x front spring set will suit up front better. you’ll want a set so you can fiddle with the springs to get the right sag/body control. 

Juls

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Juls1 said:

The shocks on xv01 are CVA super mini, the dampers on the long damper spec are CVA mini dampers. this will be the fastest easiest swap over. 

I suggest considering GF01 Damper set 54670, of your looking for more travel, these are slightly longer again than CVA mini and perform considerably better. either will come with long enough eyelets. You may want to limit the travel slightly, or grind suspension parts to take full advantage of the extra travel, if you do this sway bars are mandatory. You’ll want a full host of springs to get it setup right, trf501x front spring set are great on the rear, the trf201x front spring set will suit up front better. you’ll want a set so you can fiddle with the springs to get the right sag/body control. 

Juls

That's pretty much it. 70mm shocks, swaybars, a good spring selection, and the towers.

I converted my xv01t to a long damper xv01. I bought the front spring set from the trf 501 and used the longer eyelets on all 4 corners with the cva mini shocks from the xv01t and the carbon long damper stays. Super easy conversion and the springs fit perfectly with no need for the clip on spacers to get a good ride height. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, Juls1 said:

I suggest considering GF01 Damper set 54670, if your looking for more travel, these are slightly longer again than CVA mini and perform considerably better. either will come with long enough eyelets. You may want to limit the travel slightly, or grind suspension parts to take full advantage of the extra travel, if you do this sway bars are mandatory. You’ll want a full host of springs to get it setup right, trf501x front spring set are great on the rear, the trf201x front spring set will suit up front better. you’ll want a set so you can fiddle with the springs to get the right sag/body control. 

Juls

So these are the part numbers?
54221 trf201 springs

53974 tfr501 springs 

54670 GF01 ally damper kit

51514 XV01 stabilizer kit

54581 long damper kit front stay

54682 long damper kit rear stay 

did I miss anything or get anything wrong?

what of you only want to use 50599 cva’s can you use the trf springs?

The springs are fairly personal, if you use CVA mini or the gf01 set the spring lengths are the same. You need relatively firm spring up front and softer out back. If you plan to go minus the sway bars you’ll need slightly firmer springs overall or possibly something progressive to try to manage the body roll. 

coincidently the cc01 factory front and rear springs would probably work well. (Where the front is firm and rear is soft) 

I’ve built my gf01 dampers with positive pressure up front and negative pressure in the rear, to give more progression to the compression up front. 

• Like 1

I’ll run sway bars 

how do you set up positive and negative pressure?

basically build the shock with excess oil to be positive pressure (so fill the shock, bleed it of air, make sure the body is well full, have the shaft fully extended, put the bladder in, put in a piece of foam or a few o rings on top of the bladder to take up some of the air space then screw the cap on. Check it can bottom out or nearly bottom out, the shaft should spring back out on its own.) this helps make the shock a bit more progressive and helps hold the front end up better.

to build negative, fill and bleed the shock, push the shaft/piston to the top, fit the bladder, pull the shaft down to top out, it should suck the bladder in, while holding the shaft down screw the cap on tight, release and the shaft should pull back into the body somewhat. 

obviously set the shaft positions equal left to right. 

Juls

• Like 2

Hi, probably a dumb question but can someone tell me the real-world implications of converting to long-damper spec? I just bought a standard XV-01 kit (the Lancia Delta), and I'm starting to look at upgrades...because why not??:D I assume the increased travel fares better in rougher terrain. Since this will likely be a casual runner on varied surfaces, should I consider the long-damper spec when upgrading? Thanks!