GTodd

In need of Thundershot Restoration Tips and Recommendations

My winter project has arrived, one Tamiya Thundershot.  I've always wanted a "bathtub" Tamiya and regretted missing the Rere Thundershot. I jumped on this one when it appeared in the for sale forum. 

I've ordered ball bearings and Top Force Universal's. It needs a new body, driver, wheels and tires, front bumper and the chassis cover. I won't know what else it needs until I blow it apart this weekend. 

What recommendations do you all have in regards to this chassis? Is there anything that's a must to make it a reliable back yard bashed? 

How do I "polish" plastic? The front bumper is in tact with out any cracks but it does have numerous scratches and gouges in it. The bumpers are near impossible to find, looks like I'll have to restore it. 

I'll post pictures In a bit and start a restoration thread once I've collected all the parts. 

My Shapeways store has my Super A5 part. You need the M05 suspension shaft set to make it work, but you can use the other shafts to replace screwpins to make the ****** more reliable too:

http://shpws.me/R55m

Handling-wise, these buggies are incredibly 'on-the-nose'. It's hard to dial out the oversteer. For a runner I would recommend some modern 2.2 wheels with narrower fronts than rears to balance the handling, and flip the B8 part to get some toe in at the rear. I run Schumacher MiniSpike rear and Wide Cut Stagger fronts and the handling balance is good. Basically you need to have much more rear wheel grip than front. The stock wheels and tyres are massively over-spec for the front.

The only other thing is the pinion gear. The DT03 steel 17t hop up pinion fits, but it brings the gearing down to 6.77 which is pretty tall. Mine runs a 13.5/3300kV system and it's nice, but can get a little warm on grass over longer runs. Something under 3000kv would probably be a nice option for not too mental fast whilst still pulling that gear. You can run 32dp pinions if you need to get steel and go for a lower gear, but they are hella noisey. 

Forgot to say, the other really good hack is an alloy prop shaft, but it needs a bit of modifying plastic parts. Use the Super Hotshot gearboxes outdrives and the TT02 alloy prop shaft. All fits perfectly. BUT! You need to open out the rear hole in the tub to alloy the fatter prop shaft through, and it does catch on the MSC tray where you would most likely mount an ESC. I got a carbon ESC plate made up by Fibrelyte to avoid this, but I'm a tart! You could just dremel or file a chamfer onto the MSC tray to clear, or if you look at the Fire Dragon ReRe manual it doesn't even use that tray at all. Mounts the receiver in the old MSC Servo slot and puts the ESC on top of the steering servo. Check out page 13 https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/58403fire_dragon.pdf

If it's your only thundershot, I'd recommend restoring it back to how the manual says but add....

A5 steel plate, ball bearings, 13t 32dp steel pinion and a Tamiya super stock motor, lovely retro runner...

• Like 1

Another metal propshaft option is the Shapeways one in sintered steel, which uses the stock gearbox outdrives. You can use the stock MSC tray with it too. (But ThunderDragonCy's Fibrelyte carbon ESC plate does look very nice - that is what I use on mine.) Here is the link to the propshaft:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P347PSQRS/tamiya-thundershot-steel-metal-driveshaft-custom

As for pinions, the Maverick 0.8 module ones work well and give a range of tooth counts to suit your chosen motor. I got mine off Ebay here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maverick-0-8-Module-Pinion-Gear-for-Motor-to-suit-ALL-Strada-EVO-13T-25T/261979914486

The suggestion of modern buggy wheels with narrower fronts is a good one. I use FTX Vantage wheels and tyres on mine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-Vantage-Wheelset-Front-and-Rear-Buggy-Tyre-Wheels-White-FTX6300W-FTX6301W/143001173054

I run them on 12mm hexes, 4mm thick at the rear and 5mm thick at the front as the rear wheels are moulded from thicker plastic as befitting the heavier loads that they are typically subjected to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taffer said:

If it's your only thundershot, I'd recommend restoring it back to how the manual says but add....

A5 steel plate, ball bearings, 13t 32dp steel pinion and a Tamiya super stock motor, lovely retro runner...

You've pretty much stated my plans! Im using a superstock in one of my Kingcabs, and OG Astute, it's fantastic motor and will suit this chassis well I think. 

• Like 1

Right now it has two shocks upfront, I'm thinking about going back to the mono shock set up, completes the Thundershot look 

6 hours ago, GTodd said:

You've pretty much stated my plans! Im using a superstock in one of my Kingcabs, and OG Astute, it's fantastic motor and will suit this chassis well I think. 

13t pinion keeps the motor cooll

Welp I just started to take it apart, it really doesn't need it to be honest. Thanks for the nice car at a great price @Baddon .  When I was searching for other rebuilds I came across a few Terra Scorcher builds, I'll be making this a TS. It won't have the TS rear sway bar, and seeing how these like to oversteer already I don't think I'll be missing much. I have the blue 6mm adjusters, I just need a solution for the TS Specific 6mm balls. 

I'm just waiting for my ballbearing to show up as well as AW grease for the differentials to start the build. I ordered Tamiya Differential putty as well, it's coming from accross the pond I won't be waiting for it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GTodd said:

Welp I just started to take it apart, it really doesn't need it to be honest. Thanks for the nice car at a great price @Baddon .  When I was searching for other rebuilds I came across a few Terra Scorcher builds, I'll be making this a TS. It won't have the TS rear sway bar, and seeing how these like to oversteer already I don't think I'll be missing much. I have the blue 6mm adjusters, I just need a solution for the TS Specific 6mm balls. 

I'm just waiting for my ballbearing to show up as well as AW grease for the differentials to start the build. I ordered Tamiya Differential putty as well, it's coming from accross the pond I won't be waiting for it. 

Hi GTodd,

The 6mm balls for the turnbuckles on the hub carrier ends are the same as those used in the egress and topforce to mount the high cap dampers, readily available online. 

These same balls and small spacer section can be used at the gearbox case end to replicate the brass one piece originals if you can't find any of these (from recollection this is the only model I've seen these on, but could be wrong).

All the best

22 hours ago, DGunn1 said:

Hi GTodd,

The 6mm balls for the turnbuckles on the hub carrier ends are the same as those used in the egress and topforce to mount the high cap dampers, readily available online. 

These same balls and small spacer section can be used at the gearbox case end to replicate the brass one piece originals if you can't find any of these (from recollection this is the only model I've seen these on, but could be wrong).

All the best

Man I can not find the 6mm Ball collar ANYWHERE!!!! If any of you have (4) youd like to sell please let me know.  Ive got (4) already.

Tony's tamiya had them online up till about last week, may be worth dropping them a message and see when they'll be back in stock. Seems like a regular stock item as I've purchased several over the last few months, none spare at the mo though, sorry.

All parts ordered, including some 6mm ball collars. Well I think they are 6mm. Tamiya USA list them as used with the big bore shocks so I'm assuming a bit. Will have to see what I have to bridge the gap seeing how those odd 6mm ball collars the TS use are proprietary to the TS. 

Next question, do I go Metallic Blue or box art?

Going to order a Thunder Shot body too.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:46 AM, GTodd said:

All parts ordered, including some 6mm ball collars. Well I think they are 6mm. Tamiya USA list them as used with the big bore shocks so I'm assuming a bit. Will have to see what I have to bridge the gap seeing how those odd 6mm ball collars the TS use are proprietary to the TS. 

Next question, do I go Metallic Blue or box art?

Going to order a Thunder Shot body too.

do post photos! can never have too many terra scorcher pics :-)

i went with metallic blue, out of pure nostalgia - that's the colour my original terra scorcher shell had. i think it's stunning. here it is next to the  blue metallic neo scorcher.

YyafKKK.jpg

Oh I'll post tons in my project thread. I bought all new parts minus the chassis. It's going to be a legit new build. The only issue is the front bumper, I'll probably go with a 3d printed part.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:19 AM, GTodd said:

My winter project has arrived, one Tamiya Thundershot.  I've always wanted a "bathtub" Tamiya and regretted missing the Rere Thundershot. I jumped on this one when it appeared in the for sale forum. 

I've ordered ball bearings and Top Force Universal's. It needs a new body, driver, wheels and tires, front bumper and the chassis cover. I won't know what else it needs until I blow it apart this weekend. 

What recommendations do you all have in regards to this chassis? Is there anything that's a must to make it a reliable back yard bashed? 

How do I "polish" plastic? The front bumper is in tact with out any cracks but it does have numerous scratches and gouges in it. The bumpers are near impossible to find, looks like I'll have to restore it. 

I'll post pictures In a bit and start a restoration thread once I've collected all the parts. 

Here's my rebuild: 

I had a few issues there that you might come across. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snakehands said:

Here's my rebuild: 

I had a few issues there that you might come across. 

Thanks boss, my new A, G, and D parts just arrived as well as new black wheels.  Im still debating on what solution to go with for the bumper, I need to get back with baddon might go original might go with 3D print.  Im building mine as a Terra Scorcher but Ill be doing a Thunder Shot body too.  Electronics Ill do , Electronic speedo, and a 5000 mah Nimh.