Sign in to follow this  
Pablo68

Big Bear steering

Yeah I've been restoring a Big Bear to be a runner, including printing out hubs on my 3D printer so I could fit Lunchbox tires to the car.

I've got it all together, and installed the steering servo, saver and rods like in the manual, and the darn thing barely steers. It just doesn't seem to be moving the front wheels enough for decent steering.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Do you have some more clarification on the steering?

With wheels off the ground, the steering should be fine, full left and right lock.

With wheels on the ground, and a standard servo, the wheels can indeed stay almost straight due to the friction between tire and ground, and will steer when the car starts rolling. Solution would be a stronger servo saver with less flex and a strong steering servo.

Also to check out:
Is the steering limiter on the transmitter set to full swing?
Are the adjustable steering ball cups hitting the chassis?

• Like 1

Update: after looking at it a while and scratching my head a bit, I raised the servo a tad on spacers, changed out the old servo saver for another one I had lying around, and put in beefier turnbuckles, larger ball ends and cups.
It now works....better.
I have a torque-ier servo to go in and a kimborough servo saver at a later date.