nowinaminute

Looks like a new repro decal option on the way (UK based)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamkyo-Decal-For-Nichimo-Kyosho-SG-PB-AYK-Cox-Marui-Thunder-Tiger-Buggy/124006532936?hash=item1cdf5d8748:m:m17j3rPwMKZTvj8iaJnHMhQ

Is this the guy people used to talk about on here? I remember mention of someone in the UK making decals but that he stopped doing it (before my time)

They look really decent quality and he uses vector artwork.

Yep. That's the guy. He made awesome Tamiya repro decals (I still have a few that have yet to see use). Unfortunately he stopped doing Tamiya decals, Tamiya specifically, because Tamiya were contacting people (TamiyaClub included) because they wanted to flex their mighty corporate muscles against the guys who were trying to make repro decals for everyone... which is well within their rights but kinda sucks for most of us because we can't make our own decals to restore our models. [sighs & shrugs shoulders]

5 minutes ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Yep. That's the guy. He made awesome Tamiya repro decals (I still have a few that have yet to see use). Unfortunately he stopped doing Tamiya decals, Tamiya specifically, because Tamiya were contacting people (TamiyaClub included) because they wanted to flex their mighty corporate muscles against the guys who were trying to make repro decals for everyone... which is well within their rights but kinda sucks for most of us because we can't make our own decals to restore our models. [sighs & shrugs shoulders]

Looks like he takes requests :D

2 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

OOoohhh… I hope he takes requests for Tamiya decals again. His work was excellent and I'm in need of a few more sets of repro vintage decals to eventually sit in my collection of unused decals instead of actually being used on my projects. lol

2 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I would think he can offer most of the decals he used to offer back then . . He re-drew the decals back in the day so the quality is excellent

If that's Miles, his decals are as good as, if not better, than Tamiyas own. Makes MCI's look like kids drawings , sorry to say.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

I really dont see why Tamiya should have a problem with anyone making reproduction decals. If they have made them obsolete from their catalogues, and are no longer producing them, why is it a problem is the likes of us want to use repro stuff when restoring our out of production models.

It's not like there's a copyright issue, I'd point out that Tamiya themselves lost the rights to use a lot of the original sponsors on the re release stuff.

Perhaps Tamiya ought to contact this guy and ask if they can stock his decals.....😄

J

• Like 2

I wonder what the legality of reproducing decals is?  I know in the Bmx world you can’t make a GT decal and sell it legally in the United States without GT giving you licensing. Also I wonder what Tamiya had to do to be able to produce the name brands like Penzoil for example. What did they have to go thru. I guess the same question for making an Audi?  

On 12/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, Baddon said:

I have sent him a request so lets see how that goes..

How did it go?

Interested if he ever started up again 

I ordered some Falcon and beetle decals off eBay and they were absolutely god awful

Mci are excellent but not as thin as Tamiya 

JJ

Interesting - so skimming the thread I see one person saying he's much better than MCI, and another saying he's much worse.

If anyone else has tried both I'd love to hear the feedback as I've been 100% MCI since day 1.

1 hour ago, Unknown Driver said:

Interesting - so skimming the thread I see one person saying he's much better than MCI, and another saying he's much worse.

If anyone else has tried both I'd love to hear the feedback as I've been 100% MCI since day 1.

This stood out to me too. Such opposed viewpoints.

MCI is good in my books.   But their image size can be very slightly off  (larger) vs the original.  I do not know whether that is because of the scan or printer limits.  

The adhesive they use is good too, the vinyl sticks well even on coarse matte paint.  

In my experience with MCI: the print quality is 90-95% as good as Tamiya in terms of "crispness". Sometimes their ink has very fine hair-lines in it if you get it caught in the right light. BUT - those minor "two inch inspection distance" flaws are easily overshadowed by Nate's customer service. I order a lot of stuff from him, *but* if his first print isn't perfect it's not uncommon for him to include both the flawed copy and another print in the same order. He's also been very reasonable when I noticed discrepancies in coloring when I had original sheets to compare his to.

I'll keep supporting MCI and TBG - they've both treated me fantastic. But it's good to know there are options.

@berman I take it those are the kids drawings you spoke of earlier?  :blink:

KN logo:  Original on right, MCI on left..

I don’t use those logos so I guess it’s okay for me.  The fire extinguisher decal looks good which I use..

IMG_Sep72021at34749PM.jpg.bbf869d4d8be43663cfe12ba99acf534.jpg

Btw, what the heck is “Pennzoil”?  Do they mean “Forward”? :wacko: :lol:

29 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@berman I take it those are the kids drawings you spoke of earlier?  :blink:

Nope. I said TamKyo decals made MCI's look like kids drawings. All TamKyos decals were professional redrawn vector, not just printed off a $3 cd. Unfortunately I sold the Tamkyo ones with the cars a couple of years back.

I still have about 15-20 MCI ones, these were just the three examples I already had on my phone.

The king hauler ones, the gold colour is running out of ink if you look on the right side of the decal.

8 minutes ago, berman said:

Nope. I said TamKyo decals made MCI's look like kids drawings. All TamKyos decals were professional redrawn vector, not just printed off a $3 cd. Unfortunately I sold the Tamkyo ones with the cars a couple of years back.

I still have about 15-20 MCI ones, these were just the three examples I already had on my phone.

The king hauler ones, the gold colour is running out of ink if you look on the right side of the decal.

That is what I meant..but not in so many words.  :lol:

Most of the decals I use on my M38 are high reso scan and reprint done on my wife's laser printer.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

That is what I meant..but not in so many words.  :lol:

Most of the decals I use on my M38 are high reso scan and reprint done on my wife's laser printer.  

At the end of the day, if the person buying them is happy, then that's what matters. I wasn't, and knew there was much better out there for my dollar 😉

On 9/6/2021 at 10:09 PM, Mad Zero said:

How did it go?

he sent me a new sticker sheet corrected.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:16 PM, berman said:

9ncBw6g.jpg

BbFmOHd.jpg

NbwYy1T.jpg

looks familiar.

YX1zUia.jpg

MCI:

WSM0Bdy.jpg

My inkjet printer at home:

oFkOjGU.jpg

The home printed one is about 1/4 the size.

It's a shame because the overall quality and finish is great but I guess it's a case of "garbage in, garbage out" the equipment sometimes exceeds the quality of the artwork. Like using a reference grade hifi to listen to 128kbs MP3s

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

looks familiar.

YX1zUia.jpg

MCI:

WSM0Bdy.jpg

My inkjet printer at home:

oFkOjGU.jpg

The home printed one is about 1/4 the size.

It's a shame because the overall quality and finish is great but I guess it's a case of "garbage in, garbage out" the equipment sometimes exceeds the quality of the artwork. Like using a reference grade hifi to listen to 128kbs MP3s

The thing is, the Dick Cepek decals were reproductions off a Tamiya Juggernaut set. I've had the originals, and they aren't pixelated like above. But you are right on the 'garbage in garbage out'. I have a feeling the files for a lot of these were off that 100+ Tamiya Decals CD, that was for sale many moons ago for $5 with free shipping, and just hitting the print button. 

This should be a no brainer for BigT. How hard is it to print more decals and sell them at a premium???

22 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

This should be a no brainer for BigT. How hard is it to print more decals and sell them at a premium???

Since when has Tamiya listened to it's fans or consumers? They would make a fortune on repro vintage decals and hop ups, people have been saying it for the last 15 years at least. But they choose not to. Doesn't make sense tbh. As much as I love Tamiya they really do make no sense sometimes as a company in the modern world that we live in. Just imo of course.

James.

• Like 1