VagabondStarJXF

The Strictly Unofficial/TC 2019 X-Mas Overspend Thread

Hi all,

It's been a while since I'd posted anything RC on here (or anything anywhere if I'm honest) so I thought I'd try and start a semi-serious, semi-fun thread.

Long story short, I've been unemployed since 2012 and recently started working in September. This being said, I'd dedicated all my paychecks thus far to paying off my overdraft & credit cards and I did it! Would you believe it? Then Black Friday weekend happened... And so begins The Strictly Unofficial/TC 2019 X-Mas Overspend Thread (a.k.a The "I'll deny all knowledge if the Family/"Significant Other" questions my purchases" Thread)

So far I've purchased a Bullhead kit and loads of parts for that Clod crawler project I got from Twinset years ago, a load of tyres for lots of other projects, another Futaba FX10 (the wheels & chassis look immaculate!), a load of FX10 parts for my Striker & Sonic Fighter builds, more brushed motors, dampers, and aluminium parts... And I'm back to Square One again! :lol:

So... Am I the only one who's overspent on themselves this X-Mas? Please don't say that I am! I really won't believe it if someone says it's so! :lol::P:lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'll admit to a splurge on Shapeways parts because there was 10% off. I had been waiting for a discount because one project won't progress without specific parts but topped up with the order with stuff I could probably do without - so that definitely classes as an overspend.

Then I fell into the Tamico advent calendar trap and ordered a 2CV Rally. Something about the little 2CV really appeals even though I really don't need it. I convinced myself that the discounted kit was cheaper than buying the bodyset, wheels and tyres separately because I gained the chassis, motor and ESC. Proper man maths.

Now I'm hoping that Tamico don't discount anything else I would really like (Toyota F103GT).

I hope your path into the black continues and you now have enough Tamiya to be getting on with! I have plenty....

• Like 2

My RC spending has slowed and is mostly about the race cars now, but I did buy the Top Force, and the hi caps, and then a bunch of other things.  I'm probably in for about what a new 2wd race buggy would cost but I won't be adding it up.  It was a deal that I couldn't pass up, Top Force kit AND the Hi Caps for FREE!  Except if I had searched anywhere else (or even searched RCmart better) I would have found the Top Force kit without hi caps for less.  And then the extras like turnbuckles at only $5 a pair, and the plastic gears, and the alloy wheel hexes etc etc.  I'm looking forward to the build though, I've never really hopped up a car before, always just done the essentials like bearings.

• Like 1

Im not getting myself anything for christmas this year. I will wait until tamiya comes out with something I really want rather than splurge just cause. However with that being said, I did buy one of my family members a new lunchbox kit as a gift :) and chances are I will have a integral role in the assembly/detailing so I am just happy with that. 

I would like to have some rc time during the holidays but will not be making any big purchases. Maybe Ill make an unoffical under-spend thread :lol: But no shade to you OP its well deserved sometimes, congrats on the new job too. 

• Like 1

That’s a long time out of work. No wonder you’re treating yourself.

I have spent way more on RC this year than I should’ve & still window shopping the deals.

5 kits in the cupboard and it’ll probably be 10 before 2020 rolls in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've probably spent a little more than I should have done with my Ultimate TB01 Build. And I've defo spent more than enough on buying parts for my shelf queen TB01.

Yeah I probably shouldn't have but oh well. It's slightly cheaper than drugs 🤣

I planned on getting some things for myself but my work just hit us with a hefty increase in health insurance cost so Christmas is cancelled in my household (with the exception of my daughter, of course). Its a losing battle trying to stay in the lower middle class. On the plus side, other than a mortgage, we live debt-free. I fully plan to live vicariously through others in the is thread however ;).

• Sad 1

I didn't overspend, but through a small windfall of cash, I was able to spend more than I thought I would be able to. So my "me gift" is a Turbo Optima instead of the Bigwig I was planning on getting.

My birthday is 2 weeks after Xmas; I may try to wrangle getting the 'Wig then...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

So my "me gift" is a Turbo Optima instead of the Bigwig I was planning on getting.

Its a great, high quality kit. You won't regret it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

recently started working

Congratulations!  I bet it feels great to be out of debt.  I'd say splurging once is fine. It's Christmas and all.  

Every month, I go over my allowance.  Around Christmas, I tend to slow down.  11 months of spending, and 1 month of chilling feels better than the other way around (but not as responsible).  Even so, I did "accidentally" won another used-buggy.  The Miracle was that it was actually under $80/month allowance!  

lEGf80v.jpg

@Badcrumble, I got 2CV Rally last month for the same reason.  It is oddly appealing.  

• Like 7

I have been really under control this year, I built a Super Astute last Christmas, and since than pretty much no rc spending.

• I bought a Bigwig for $155 US, it's still NIB till christmas but I have recently spent over $325 US on hop ups for it, going to be one badword of a Bigwig lol
  • I also bought a Sonic Fighter from member Taffer, it;s on a long trip, From Wales in the UK to New South Wales Australia
  • Like 2

My method is different. ;)

All year I order and collect parts that I, in my own humble opinion, desperately need!
So spending is spread to keep amounts low and not to awake the dragon arouse suspicions at wife's side. And at Christmas, I finally hope to do some actual work on the cars! :lol:

But I was ordered persuaded by before mentioned person to do some DIY on the house too.... So need to work on a strategy to allow myself some free time. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, guggles said:

Maybe Ill make an unoffical under-spend thread :lol: But no shade to you OP its well deserved sometimes, congrats on the new job too. 

Thanks. Odd thing though... it's nice to have some money coming in but I kinda miss having the free time. I really learned how to chill out and de-stress myself.

Go on and make the underspend thread! I'd love to see what people are doing (or not doing?) with their pennies. :) 

22 hours ago, J@mes said:

That’s a long time out of work. No wonder you’re treating yourself.

Yep... although some might say that I've really never stopped treating myself. Gotta have my Tamiyas! :D 

I haven't ordered too much over the past couple of months because a) there were a whole lot of other expenses that ate into my budget and 2) I was trying to save up for something big.  Well, December came and I took the plunge and ordered a Beier sound system and all the trimmings for my Globe Liner.  My long-term plan is to have all my tractor rigs (that's 4 of them) using Beier systems so I'm still only a quarter of the way there.

That hasn't stopped other spending, though.  I'm still waiting for something good to pop up on Tamico.  So far they've had nothing I want.  Actually (for me at least) their weekly offers have been lame for ages.  Annoyingly they had an F103 on special a few weeks back, right after I'd made the decision to save for the Beier, otherwise I'd have bought it.  It was a little over half the price of my LHS.  I know we should support local, but we also shouldn't put ourselves out to support local if the prices really are that different.

Time is the problem now - so many projects, so little bench time.  I actually had an entire night to myself last night, during which I could have started the long process of installing the Beier.  Wife and child were both away so I pretty much could do what I wanted with no interruptions all night.  But I've been feeling under the weather recently, I spent the night spinning some techno and catching up on some TV instead.  I've got a few days off work next week, maybe I'll spend a couple of hours a day on the Globe Liner.

:)

• Like 2

Congrats on getting a job, personal experience has shown me its a lot harder to get out of those situations than it is to get into them.

so back to the topic at hand - overspend for Christmas? why yes I did! :D

I don't get a lot of time to do builds, but last Christmas I managed to get a Wild Willy 2 on boxing day and complete it before going back to work. Work wise, this year has been very good, seeing me not only being able to pay off a heap of debt that I'd accrued, but purchase a few kits I'd been after. So for Christmas this year I thought if I was prepared, I could probably do a a more detailed build. So I decided upon a TT-01E Audi A4 Quattro, having an original as well that is in need of a restore, and maybe do that at the same time, but we'll see.

the hop-ups I have bought include:

Year Racing ultimate conversion - I couldn't decided on what alloy hop-ups to get, so ended up getting the lot! although there is no heat sink.

drivers cockpit

light kit - I will have to make the light buckets, expect that to be part of the build thread coming soon

alloy disc rotors and the calliper that has bearings so it stays stationary

bearings all round of course!

wipers, arial, radiator and exhaust pipe, I will cut out the vent holes in the front of the car too.

this version is missing the Castrol and Dunlop stickers, so I will re-make them

styrene tubing to make a roll cage, plus I have laser cut a new badge for the front

pic of parts so far, I have already started trying to make light buckets and am hoping to start the build proper this coming week.

47414_Audi_A4_BTCC-1.jpg

Then that got me thinking about what else I'd bought this year, so on top of that, this year I also managed to stow away for future builds:

Re-Re Wild One

Re-Re Hot Shot

Re-Re - Blackfoot

Nova Fox

Re-Re Frog

Re-Re Subaru Brat

Tamiya Audi Quattro Rally A2 TT02

HG P407 Bruiser Clone

Honda S800, in three separate purchases, a NIP Honda S800 Racing RC Body, second hand chassis and box, and a set of new rims

NIP M-05 chassis to go with a Datsun 510 body I bought

and on top of that, some second hand cars for future restores, including:

Marui Big Bear (Although this will get broken down for parts, to complete another one I have and parts for friend)

TA-01 BMW Schitnzer - fairly good condition, will need to remove the paint though and redo the stickers

2 x Celicas - The Monte GT4 '94 and '97, unfortunately both bodies are cracked at the front, but the chassis are good and the extra body parts are there

2 second hand hornets, in fair to poor condition that I can combine the parts with some other hornets I have managed to acquire.

58053 - Road Wizard F-1 body, but NIB. I will copy the body for 3 chassis I have.

and a 58022 Datsun 280ZX in need of a restore, but overall pretty good, just missing a couple of small body pieces

Looking back on that now, it's a lot more than I remember buying :rolleyes: , however next year purchasing will be very much limited as we are about to start building a new house.

• Like 3

I haven't bought anything in the lead up to Xmas.

In the last 6 months I have acquired:

NIB ReRe Boomerang for a Boomershot II project.

Used Academy Road Runner II.

Supposedly 'Original' Hot Shot, turns out to be Triggers Broom.

Original Rough Rider shell for a chassis I've had for a number of years.

3x NIB ReRe Hornets. One each for the kids and one for me to have a crack at speed runs.

None have been touched as yet :lol:.

Reason for not buying anything - family trip to Japan in a few months time.

So guess what's on the agenda...? B)

• Like 4

I just got bitten by the buggy bug, after 30-something years of dark ages. My wife and I also just cleared away some significant debts, and we've finally got some cash to spend; so....

I strongly recommended to my wife that a Neo Scorcher would be an excellent Xmas present. Luckily she agreed! She doesn't yet realise what the future holds, as I have also persuaded (it wasn't hard) two old school friends to make the same purchases.

Of course after seeing some of the awesome builds here, I've gone and purchased some parts; not totally overboard, yet; alloy transmission shaft and steel outdrives, bearings of course. A decent 3ch radio, because the build list also contains a Tamiya 1/72 Vosper patrol boat that is going to get converted to RC.

We've been careful - nothing on credit!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

I haven't bought anything in the lead up to Xmas.

In the last 6 months I have acquired:

NIB ReRe Boomerang for a Boomershot II project.

Used Academy Road Runner II.

Supposedly 'Original' Hot Shot, turns out to be Triggers Broom.

Original Rough Rider shell for a chassis I've had for a number of years.

3x NIB ReRe Hornets. One each for the kids and one for me to have a crack at speed runs.

None have been touched as yet :lol:.

Reason for not buying anything - family trip to Japan in a few months time.

So guess what's on the agenda...? B)

Oh, I forgot about a set of repro decals for the Super Champ too.

And I just hit the button on a Chevy Clod Buster. Impulse buy. :lol:

• Like 1

Good news for me, or a bit of stress relieved at least, as my Bullhead kit arrived yesterday. It's just in time as I'm travelling Stateside in a few hours. If it didn't arrive before I left... you know DHL can't keep it for long and would have to send it back. 😭😭😭

Oh... I also went and ordered another body shell... It's an ABC Mazda RX7 with Veilside Fortune body kit. Lord help me, I can hear my bank account screaming in my sleep. 😱

On 12/14/2019 at 11:53 PM, Falcon#5 said:

Reason for not buying anything - family trip to Japan in a few months time. So guess what's on the agenda...? B)

The Tamiya outlet in Tokyo is impressive (I've been many times), but I can guarantee that you're better off buying locally (Aus) on eBay if you can. Of course, they stock the rarer stuff there, too, so just keep that in mind.

I was looking at that Clod on eBay the other day, with some ridiculous coupon it wasn't very expensive, but it's not really my thing.

I think my RC Xmas present to myself will be a 20kg metal geared digital servo for my crawler, for ~AUD$25, and my wife is getting me the genuine Tamiya tool set!

• Like 1

There is a massive box sitting in my room waiting for Christmas. I went and bought a (god forbid) Traxxas. I really am a dirty little (RC) whore.

This year I've bought.
A Striker
Marui Samurai
HG P407 Bruiser clone
Big Bear
RC10 Championship Edition.

Sundy spares n bits n bobs

(Don't get me started on all the synths I bought)

In short, it's been a good year for me with work/money, just for a change.

Congratulations to he OP, I know what it's like to be unemployed for a long time.

• Like 1

I need to add to what I have already said in this thread, a sneaky little late night mayhavehadacoupleofbeers purchase of 2 Super Stock motors.  They arrived today and look so good in the Top Force.  Well, one does.  The other will probably look best in the Fox since it hangs out the back, but then it may get scratched.  And the Fox is my son's, and I already turn the EPA down for him so whats the point of a faster motor.  I guess its just like all that blue bling, it just looks cool?

• Like 1

So I realised that when I posted on this thread earlier, I forgot to add that I bought an alloy tipper back which will eventually go on my NIB Grand Hauler (with the sleeper removed).  It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I've been looking for a rigid of some sort to go on my Grand for ages and not settled on anything.  Well, I was at the layout a couple of weeks ago and my mate had this unique alloy bed for sale.  Then he said "you'll never get bored when you come to the layout again.  I'll load up your tipper with my bucket and you can drive around the layout and dump it at the other end."  That did it for me.  So, I was already over my December budget (in spite of all last month's hard saving) when I posted on this thread.

So you'd think I'd stop spending.

Unfortunately last weekend (for no obvious reason) I hunted down all my old WR-01 parts to look into rebuilding a Wild Dagger, and discovered that a lot of the parts are broken or worn.  I priced up buying new parts, plus a new body, and it came to more than an NIB Mud Blaster 2.  Then I hunted around on ebay and found someone selling an NIB Mud Blaster 2 with a full bearing kit.  Made a low-ball offer and snagged it there and then.  Should be delivered this week.

Then I figured I don't actually want to run the Brat body after all.  I might put that on my King Blackfoot, it needs a new body.  So today I ordered a JConcepts F250 Racer Back body from Modelsport.  It's longer than a Brat body - it's designed for the Clod Buster - so should help with the silly wheelbase issue on the WR01.  I have plans to play with the chassis and transmission parts anyway to shorten the wheelbase and add some kick-up to the front suspension.  I was looking at making new chassis plates to angle the front transmission back, thus adding kick-up, but I think I'll have ground clearance problems, so my brain is now telling me I need to dremel the lower mounts off my front transmission case and 3D print a new lower arm mount.  Well, that's for another thread, anyway...

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, Juggular said:

Every month, I go over my allowance.  Around Christmas, I tend to slow down.  11 months of spending, and 1 month of chilling feels better than the other way around (but not as responsible).  Even so, I did "accidentally" won another used-buggy.  The Miracle was that it was actually under $80/month allowance!  

Glad there's at least one other person that does this.  I spend so much all year on RC that for some reason I actually slow down during the holidays.  Not sure why, just feels right to me.  Did buy a collection from a guy last week, but can't pass up those deals when you find them.  

Although I have been thinking about the Primal 1/5 Raminator monster truck, might wait until the spring - https://www.primalrc.com/store/trucks/raminator-monster-truck

• Haha 1