VagabondStarJXF

The Strictly Unofficial/TC 2019 X-Mas Overspend Thread

11 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

The Tamiya outlet in Tokyo is impressive (I've been many times), but I can guarantee that you're better off buying locally (Aus) on eBay if you can. Of course, they stock the rarer stuff there, too, so just keep that in mind.

I was looking at that Clod on eBay the other day, with some ridiculous coupon it wasn't very expensive, but it's not really my thing.

I think my RC Xmas present to myself will be a 20kg metal geared digital servo for my crawler, for ~AUD$25, and my wife is getting me the genuine Tamiya tool set!

Will be visiting Tamiya HQ, and if I see a kit or two that I've been wanting that isn't available here I might take up that opportunity.

It isn't the main reason for going, but can't not go while I'm there! :lol:

I'm more into buggies myself, but seeing it was a Chevy and had discount it seemed worthwhile to add to the collection.

That's Xmas done for me.

A crawler each for myself and son is on the cards, but might be birthday presents now. B)

I'd ask about your crawler, but don't want to hijack the thread!

• Like 1

I bought myself a Blazing Blazer roof panel,  a WW2 decal sheet and a new partially built Blitzer Beetle. 

About £120 all in, but I will sell the old BB roof and my lightly used Blitzer Beetle so a fair bit will come back my way eventually.

But I won’t be spending anymore this month anyway.

I spend this month way to much, for me my budget is gone for the next 6 months or so, I have never spend so much money in one month.

bought an arrma typhon 3s blx 4x4 on black friday,  and some upgrades for that

Then I bought some high speed gears for my wt-01 to have them in stock in case they disappear.

some spares for my basher nitro circus mt 1/8 truck because they do not have a lot of parts for it on hobbyking and I want to drive the car for the next years.

upgrades for my cc-01 that I am going to convert to rally basher

some upgrades for my konghead 

new hex tools and a solder station.

then I found a losi rock rey kit in stock on a website, the kit version is discontinued for a long time and nowhere to be found, and then it pops up at a webstore  for a nice price, so I had to have it, and then I bought upgrade parts for that car also :wacko:

and spend money on fireworks for 31 december.

Having recently come back into the hobby I’ve just bought myself a Sand Scorcher kit as it’s always been a kit I’ve wanted. Had a good discount from Fusion Hobbies but still took a few pounds off when my other half asked what it cost ;)

Have been looking at other kits but I have a CC01 VW Touareg, Holiday Buggy and Kyosho Optima to build so will probably have to cool it for a while.  

But surely it doesn’t hurt to keep looking does it? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just scanned back a year on my eBay purchase history & saw:

rere Blackfoot in dec ‘18

bush devil in jan 19

super Blackfoot & king Blackfoot Feb 19

Another king Blackfoot Feb 19

Unimog SW01 in March 

Rere Lunchbox in April

May was all spares and hop ups

OG Clod in June 

spares and hop ups in July, August & September (enough to build a few kits from)

Beetle & 2CV Rally and a 40th anniversary Jäger Porsche in October 

Another super Blackfoot in November (& probably a Porsche too)

Another Porsche and a fighter buggy RX in December

Then the orders from hobby shops including a heavy dump truck & mini lunchbox with all the hop ups of course!

Add in the parts, decals and tools, plus stuff from overseas suppliers & body sets I now realise I have major a Tamiya collection (problem). 

join the club, right?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At least you are brave enough to tally up.  Many of us are too afraid.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:54 PM, Falcon#5 said:

Will be visiting Tamiya HQ, and if I see a kit or two that I've been wanting that isn't available here I might take up that opportunity.

It isn't the main reason for going, but can't not go while I'm there! :lol:

I'm more into buggies myself, but seeing it was a Chevy and had discount it seemed worthwhile to add to the collection.

That's Xmas done for me.

A crawler each for myself and son is on the cards, but might be birthday presents now. B)

I'd ask about your crawler, but don't want to hijack the thread!

Tamiya PlaModel Factory is awesome, but very expensive, there are quite a few other Hobby Shops in Akihabara district (Tokyo) that have plenty of stuff at far cheaper prices. An amazing experience that I wish to repeat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

At least you are brave enough to tally up.  Many of us are too afraid.  

we are probably under the impression our significant other won't be reading this thread :D 

• Haha 1

I am over spending this Christmas, unfortunately it isn't on rc.  Taking my wife's 06 mini cooper s in to have the trans rebuilt.  She loves the car and hates the new minis, so fixing hers, for the low low price of $5000.00........

43 minutes ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

I am over spending this Christmas, unfortunately it isn't on rc.  Taking my wife's 06 mini cooper s in to have the trans rebuilt.  She loves the car and hates the new minis, so fixing hers, for the low low price of $5000.00........

Wow, that's a lot of $$$$ for a transmission.  Is it gold plated :)

17 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Wow, that's a lot of $$$$ for a transmission.  Is it gold plated :)

Nope, automatic and like everything else BMW,  over priced. 

10 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Tamiya PlaModel Factory is awesome, but very expensive, there are quite a few other Hobby Shops in Akihabara district (Tokyo) that have plenty of stuff at far cheaper prices. An amazing experience that I wish to repeat 

Thanks for the tip.

Will have to have a look around that area. B)

• Like 1

Is there anyway to make this private so that the wives can’t see?? Haha

im constantly spending on tamiya 

I don’t have loads of money but £15 here, £20 there on parts and bits is a serious drain on my monthly disposable income

the clodbuster I bought 2nd hand I jumped in too quick

£250 and it needs new shell, new chassis, new most things. 

i justify this spend because 90% of this retains a good amount of value so the spend minus the end value is good value for the amount of time and enjoyment I get from it (and the amount of peace SWMBO gets when I’m in the shed)

JJ

10 hours ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

Nope, automatic and like everything else BMW,  over priced. 

Well good luck with it.  I always thought the new minis were neat cars.  As long as the wife's happy, I know how that goes.

I just checked to see what i had spent this year on vintage Tamiya stuf... It looks like a telephone number. I might ring it and see who answers...:lol:

Just this month i have had 3 deliveries... See my posts in 'What the postman brought me' thread. The latest one was today.

I have become slightly obsessed i think...

J

• Haha 1

First year back after decades away, and, yes, I did go mad! I now have four new cars (only one completed!), six secondhand in need of resto (four chassis completed, one body) and then what do I do for Xmas??!!!

Bought a 56354 Mercedes Actros in Pearl Blue, a flatbed trailer, the motorised legs and an MFC-03 unit!! Cost just over 800 quid. In my defence, I did get a nice windfall a couple of months ago, so I thought - blow it - I'm going to treat myself. Only problem is we live in a small retirement flat and am rapidly running out of space!

I am staring longingly at the Actros box but it must wait till Xmas Day...

Ninian

Just when I thought I was done, bought another car. :lol:

I did buy my wife a nice xmas gift, so hopefully that resets the counter in a few days time. B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1