Crashboxdummy

Storage and display of RC cars

Hi everyone.  

Have recently joined TC after being away from the hobby for too long.  I still have some cars from before and a few kits to build but I was wondering...

How do you store / display your cars?  I’ve been looking for ages for a shelving unit / display shelf type thing which can easily store the cars (1/10 scale) when not in use but nothing has jumped out as being suitable.  Has anybody been able to find, buy or build anything that isn’t too costly and can store cars and buggies safely - I no longer want to keep them in the cramped shed or attic.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

I personally would build some shelves, you can just take planks and put them on these: https://www.amazon.com/Knape-Vogt-Sterling-Adjustable-0122-11PM/dp/B00DXZLFPI or something like it you find at the hardware store. It looks really good if you finish them and cut a notch for the wall bracket, and it’s adjustable height-wise, and you can make them wider too.

I got 2 Ikea Detolf display cases and joined them together. I picked them up second hand and added the additional shelves to double the storage.

2019-11-03_05-17-20

• Like 9

having recently bought a laser cutter, I'm working on making my own laser cut acrylic stands. Just working out some different sizes at the moment so they can hold a good range of different cars.

laser-cut-car-stand-v5-5.jpg

laser-cut-car-stand-v5-4.jpg

laser-cut-car-stand-v5-7.jpg

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

having recently bought a laser cutter, I'm working on making my own laser cut acrylic stands. Just working out some different sizes at the moment so they can hold a good range of different cars.

Nice👍

Have tried a touring car chassis on them? 

14 minutes ago, svenb said:

Nice👍

Thanks

14 minutes ago, svenb said:

as you can see from @mtbkym01 's post, yeah, trying all sorts of combinations, even SRB's, I have another member, @Re-Bugged who is also helping to test them for me. Plus I am trying to make them so they flat pack down as much as possible to reduce postage costs. It would be nice to think I could sell them, but postage out of Australia could be an issue.

• Thanks 1

Hi Baddon - I really like the ikea cabinet - funny but I was looking at Ikea and searching for ikea hacks for ideas.  

yogi-bear, I like the stands also.  Really smart! 

33 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

@svenb These are @yogi-bear stands that he sent me to test, this is a TA02W - fits perfectly

49098663163_81a01ed914_k.jpg

They look excellent 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

Ok, where is the order box? I need some of these.....

They are great, are you likely to take orders for them?

J

38 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

Ok, where is the order box? I need some of these.....

They are great, are you likely to take orders for them?

J

cheers, yeah, I'm hoping to offer these for sale in the New Year once I have tested and refined the design a bit.

9 hours ago, svenb said:

Nice👍

Excuse the protective film, but these stands fit a TA02SW perfectly👍🏻

1A350BBD-D8C6-4A1C-A7D2-6D24E09B5D37.md.

They work great on ORV’s too 😁 (now painted after using the film as masking)

1E409153-6591-4D1B-8D96-7AA4380E1D99.md.

@yogi-bear is doing a fantastic job of these stands and as soon as I have enough ‘prototypes’ for my small collection I can say they are definitely worth the wait when they become available 😉

• Like 3

In my old flat I used Flarke bookcases from Ikea.  They don't have the depth for buggies but were awesome for 1:10 touring.

My current setup has less display area than I'd like.  I have one shelf at head height which is wide enough four a tractor truck and long enough for two tractors with trailers.  Above that is a sloping shelf that fits touring cars end-on.  I usually have them at a jaunty angle.  Actually I haven't really looked at them in as long as I can remember.  Mostly they have junk on them.  The walls of my studio are carpeted for sound deadening, and outside the studio is a workshop, so dust is a major problem.  I need to get some perspex to cover the shelves to keep the dust off.  Maybe over Christmas...

Storage-wise, I use under-bed storage boxes or their taller equivalents.  There's a fair bit of dead space around smaller cars but good for storing all the spares with them.  Easily stackable without crushing and keep cars dry and dust-free when stored in the workshop loft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

In my old flat I used Flarke bookcases from Ikea.  They don't have the depth for buggies but were awesome for 1:10 touring.

My current setup has less display area than I'd like.  I have one shelf at head height which is wide enough four a tractor truck and long enough for two tractors with trailers.  Above that is a sloping shelf that fits touring cars end-on.  I usually have them at a jaunty angle.  Actually I haven't really looked at them in as long as I can remember.  Mostly they have junk on them.  The walls of my studio are carpeted for sound deadening, and outside the studio is a workshop, so dust is a major problem.  I need to get some perspex to cover the shelves to keep the dust off.  Maybe over Christmas...

Storage-wise, I use under-bed storage boxes or their taller equivalents.  There's a fair bit of dead space around smaller cars but good for storing all the spares with them.  Easily stackable without crushing and keep cars dry and dust-free when stored in the workshop loft.

Yes that's the issue I have to be honest, most of my models are buggys and larger.  I don't currently have any touring cars so whenever I see a shelving / storage unit the sections usually aren't either wide or deep enough

When at IKEA don't buy just any skinny chipboard shelving that might disappear by next catalogue, stick with their iconic BILLY bookcase.

BILLY has 28cm shelf depth I believe... plenty wide for buggies - Hotshot sits with an inch to spare.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WillyChang said:

When at IKEA don't buy just any skinny chipboard shelving that might disappear by next catalogue, stick with their iconic BILLY bookcase.

BILLY has 28cm shelf depth I believe... plenty wide for buggies - Hotshot sits with an inch to spare.

Thanks WillyChang - I’ll take a look :)

I’ve got one of the Ikea cases (was £20 on gum tree)

mEI4D6k.jpg

and got some 3D printed hangers from a friend who advertises on here and on eBay 

iV0cnEM.jpg

cGTiBmI.jpg

ppRqSRs.jpg

5CCHdLD.jpg

bYqKiC1.jpg

JJ

• Like 4

Great Flippn' displays here, very nice assemblies.

I've been thinkn' Lexan sheets so the shelves up high i'd be able to see the under carriages.

for now there just where they can fit, have wire shelves in the garage, some sittn' on desks, cabinets, tower speakers and a large china hutch.

Finally got it to post.  If a mod wants to delete the other 2 I would appreciate it.  Please excuse the mess on my work table, I have been doing some scratch stuff on one of my crawlers. 

18 hours ago, junkmunki said:

That's what a proper hobby room should look like. None of this neat and tidy nonsense....😋

Great collection.

J

Definitely has that "lived in" look.  It usually is no where's near that bad.