Sign in to follow this  
87lc2

Another Clod axle truck

Built another Clod axle truck, but unfortunately the reality of the build did not match what was in my head.  Will most likely tear this down and use the parts elsewhere.  Using a Vanquish chassis, locked Clod axles, HW 880 ESC, RC4WD 55t motors (runs on 3S lipo), dual shocks on each corner, and 4WS (servos on axles).  Also threw a set of Kyosho USA-1 tires on it.  Was supposed to be a tribute to the original USA-1, but something is just off to me.  I'll probably throw some SCX10 axles under it with 2.2 mud tires and use the Clod axles on another build.  Figured I's share some photos before I take it apart.  I will say the Axial 1967 Chevrolet C10 body is a rather nice piece, the molded parts help it bridge the gap between lexan and ABS.  I always prefer hard bodies, but it's nice that companies are starting to add more detail to the lexan shells.

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6521.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I don't know, it looks amazingly sharp. I dig what you're saying about not looking right vs. what was in your head. I mock up alot of trucks and tear them down because something seems "off" from what I had in mind. This, however, looks pretty spectacular.

• Like 1

Well thank you, I appreciate that.  Glad someone understands what I'm saying and to be honest it doesn't happen to me that often.  I usually love whatever Frankenstein I put together (almost to a fault, I can never sell anything), but this one just doesn't do it for me.  The original plan was to take it out on the trails (hence the locked diffs), but ended up putting some nice parts on it and don't want to completely destroy them in the mud.   Who knows, maybe I'll just stare at it for a while and see what happens.  Plenty of other projects I can move on to for the time being.  

cool truck thanks for sharing.

It might just be me but did the "stance" of the truck just not look right to you? Something about the stock clod tires just look a little too wide imo, but i also kind of like it alot too ^_^. Looks like a real recreation of a vintage monster truck. 

I really like it, I’d change a couple of things and keep it. Really like the overlapping tire tread vs the Clod chevrons & that grille is awesome. Seeing daylight through the wheel arches bugs me on any scale vehicle. I’d have either chrome light or roll bar, or both. 

nice job dude

Thanks J@ames.  The roll bar is a Tamiya hi-lift piece, painted it black because the original truck has a black bar, but I also think a chrome would look better.  Not sure what I'll do with her, but thanks for the compliments.  I also agree that the Kyosho tires have a better look than the Clod tires, I like the overlap.

I absolutely love that. Would be very happy if I'd made something that nice :p 

And, if my eyes don't deceive me, @87lc2 shops at Rockauto from the magnets (that they include with most parts orders) I see in the background of the 8th pic.

Thanks so much for the compliments guys, really appreciate it.  Unfortunately I've already started pillaging parts from it for other trucks, have a few other ideas in mind.  The wheels will be going to a cheap Bullhead restoration project I just picked up, chassis to a mud truck build, and axles will most likley be used in another monster truck build (obviously).  I'll continue to post photos of my trucks, I enjoy seeing everyone else's projects so nice to see people appreciate mine as well.

Saito - You would be correct on that, I must have hundreds of RockAuto magnets, they're everywhere.  I like driving old cars and that means lots of repairs. RockAuto has been great, been buying from them since 2009 I believe.

Forgot to update this...Ended up making a mud truck out of this thing.  Had a set of RC4WD 2.2 Mud Bashers around and thought they would look good under there.  Have gotten a lot of use out of this, pretty much anytime we get a lot of rain this is what I take on the trails, it's pretty much unstoppable. Put SCX10 metal axles under it with a full metal transmission and a 550 brushed motor.  Geared very low and runs on 3s lipo, lots of torque to get those big tires moving.

Only Tamiya part left on her is the roll bar unfortunately, so guess this really doesn't have a place on TC any longer.  

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

• Like 6