ACCEL

How'd you come up with your Display Name?

been wondering for quite some time, actually speedy_w_beans display name is what started me thinking about it quite a long time ago.

i came to the conclusion for mine (on the sighing up to this forum), looking around at all the things with words on them in my office, looked up and my 24th scale Vette slot drag car build caught my eye.....................Thus ACCEL.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

wnVzX08.jpg

• Like 3

Mine has nothing to do with cars, but is a reference to a spectacular culinary fail that my wife and I tried to make once for some vegetarian friends, and still talk about to this day. Turnip jalfrezi, or TurnipJF for short. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Well, my name is James so I swapped out the a for an @ - not very imaginative hey

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Snappy1 was my work nickname for a long time, I was a Snap On Tools dealer, I then carried it over to when I was a serious sub zero overclocker, I just use it for everything online these days

• Like 4

I got locked out of my old account (karmann) so just used my name and i think i had to add vw as my name was taken.

VW reasonably obviously has mostly been my car of choice.

• Like 4

My first car was a 1987 Buick Grand National.  87 is for the year and LC2 is the engine designation given by GM to the 3.8L Buick turbocharged engine.  Still have the car, will probably be buried in it.

IMG_3401.JPG

• Like 13

Mine's from the back of the manual. A massive wall of Japanese text, with the helpful words "For japanese use only" added at the bottom. Which was good, as I might have been tempted to use it otherwise.

What perplexed me slightly more was that some manuals have "for use in Japan only" instead. So I like to imagine that they had an issue with a Japanese guy living say in Europe, who insisted "but I am Japanese". Why can't I use it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

You know @ACCEL, I always envisioned that's where your name came from. I have Accel ignition stuff on my "day-two" Nova.

My name was originally just Saito. It comes from the samurai Saito Hajime who was the captain for the third squad of the Shinsengumi. I got locked out from a site hack, forum crash or some such mystery and went by the name Rockcrusher for a short time (as in Muncie M22 Rockcrusher 4 speed manual transmission - which produces beautiful noises when rowed through the gears) I later attempted to regain my Saito moniker, but Saito2 was as close as I could get.

• Like 4

Two reasons:

Name of my robot I built for BBC 2's robot wars and it's my favourite beer!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was sure @Saito2 was the sniper from Ghost in the Shell.  Shinsengumi was unexpected.  

anx9z1H.jpg

As for mine, I am suffering from amnesia. (not really... unless I forgot that I had an amnesia)

In some other forum, "Juggernaut" was taken, so I made something up.  I didn't mean the vein in the neck (jugular has one g).  

I am guessing that it was Juggernaut + Regular?   "Regular" sounds wrong. It makes no sense to me now.  For the life of me, I can't remember the ".....ular" part.   It might as well be triangular, molecular, or even "testic ular." (wouldn't that be something?)  If it were, my name would be like the dangling things people put on the rear hitch of their trucks.  I never found them tasteful. (no pun intended. I don't have a habit of going around tasting things--unless I really have an amnesia...)  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I used Badcrumble in previous hobby forum. I'd had to think of something quickly and somehow ended up with the name of a character in an Eddie Izzard sketch. Why I didn't change it when I registered here I don't know!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I knew @Juggular's name was likely Juggernaut derived. However, I thought its was connected to the "Team Juggular"  parts sold by ESP for the Juggernaut years back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m Juls1 cause some other useless person Has chosen Juls but never makes any posts as far as I can figure out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

I knew @Juggular's name was likely Juggernaut derived. However, I thought its was connected to the "Team Juggular"  parts sold by ESP for the Juggernaut years back.

Holy T-rex and all other Jurassic lizards!  You are right!  

I should've asked, "Hey, where did my ID come from?"  

I looked up "ESP Juggular" and this popped up.  

Ak39lpR.jpg

And that is what I have!  It was ESP parts name!  

I must have quickly forgotten about the name of the parts after upgrading it. (who even names 4-link suspension, anyway?)  

Well, @Saito2, you've earned a lot of points today. (don't know what that means, but I'll remember)  

55tlF9Q.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so back in the early days of the internet I was searching for an online name, I remembered that Pablo was the Spanish for my real name, Paul.
Pablo is also the name of a particularly awful coffee that my Grandmother (dearly departed many years ago) used to buy in big jars.......she must have really hated us. I still have be of those jars somewhere, she used them for pickling olives.....old Maltese lady you know.

The second part, from a quip the bass player in a band I sang for. I was mucking around singing the number of the beast by Iron Maiden. He said, do you know what 668 is? It's the neighbour of the beast. (rim shot).
So my name should be Pablo668.....but I stuffed up when I registered, so Pablo68 it is.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

These are all fantastic stories, just like the book of Wizard of OZ he needed to call the character of the book and saw on the file cabinet with the label O-Z and BAM! that book and movie made history.

thanx for so many replies , i find them quite honest and entertaining.

Truly what is in a Name? that rings out to all.

Thanx fellow Taniyan Golden Citizens,

y'all made my evening you hear. :lol:

now i'll check back later and see who's been naughty or nice............................

ems

6 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

My first car was a 1987 Buick Grand National.  87 is for the year and LC2 is the engine designation given by GM to the 3.8L Buick turbocharged engine.  Still have the car, will probably be buried in it.

IMG_3401.JPG

I knew a lady, Fran, her's was stolen, she cried and cried.

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I have thought the same exact thing for years when seeing his username...neat thread to clear some of these up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to have a Ford Taurus SHO.

8C91FE49-8BBA-429F-A205-517AE2ACD03A_zps

I’ve used Shodog on various message boards during the last 25 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ACCEL said:

I knew a lady, Fran, her's was stolen, she cried and cried.

Mate, I would have cried too. Those are awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting thread ! 

Mine comes from the fact that I spent at least 2 months in a row locked in the work shop at work trying to desperatly get round the rules and regulations in VHC rally imposed on the t3 garett turbochargers. My boss started calling me "garett" and some imaginative clients began calling me "t3". 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Pablo is also the name of a particularly awful coffee that my Grandmother (dearly departed many years ago) used to buy in big jars.......

The second part, from a quip the bass player in a band I sang for. I was mucking around singing the number of the beast by Iron Maiden. He said, do you know what 668 is? It's the neighbour of the beast. (rim shot).

My Nan had the same coffee too when I was a kid. :lol:

I was too young to drink coffee, so have no recollection of the taste. What do I remember was the size of the giant jars!

Your old bass player sounds like a funny bloke :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2