ACCEL

How'd you come up with your Display Name?

My name is pretty straight forward and unimaginative. :lol:

First RC I got. Was a xmas present when I was 11, which I still have.

Funnily enough I put #6 on my original, as 5 was my Mums lucky number and didn't want to copy her.

(my lucky number was 7 back then which didn't come on the decal sheet)

5 is my number now and has been for quite some time.

This was the first forum I signed up to, and has been carried over to a few other RC forums.

• Like 2

Mine is a bit... something...

1st part - Vagabond - A friend from back in college had aspirations to make a movie based on the Wing Commander computer game back in the day. We were both "Movie Guys" with aspirations to be actors/writers/directors so he wanted me to be in it. I'm a bit oriental and I was a bit "dark & brooding" in my college days so the character he wanted me to play was Winston Chang. As per Wiki: "Winston Chang is a fighter pilot with a "dark" past he wishes to leave behind and a wanderer’s spirit, reflected by his callsign "Vagabond"." Personally, I preferred Nomad, but the character was called Vagabond.

2nd part - Star - The "Star" part comes from "Wandering Star", as in "I was born under a wandering star". Although I'm UK born and bred I'd spent my life in the UK, USA and the Philippines (as time and money dictates) and consider all 3 as "home areas"... and I thought VagabondStar just sounded cooler than WanderingStar... and NomadStar just didn't "work" for me.

3rd part - JXF - I had aspirations to become a novelist as well as a screenwriter but kinda disliked my IRL name for that. So I tried coming up with a writer's pseudonym that I liked. The initials for that pseudonym ended up being JXF. I never got myself to finish a novel, or even a short story, but I liked the name so I kept it for personal use for forum names and for gaming tags. I did go through a load of different name combinations and could've easily ended up with AXL.

Just to think, after that explanation, I could've been NomadStarAXL and that doesn't actually sound too bad to me! :huh:

• Like 6

My name stems from when I owned an antiques shop some years ago. A friend of mine came in one day and called me a junk monkey, and the name just stuck. I just changed the spelling to junkmunki. There is a logo that goes with the name, if I can get it loaded, I will post it up.

I am the same on ebay, although I had to change the spelling to juncmunki due to getting locked out of my account back in about 2005.

J

• Like 5

In the mid-90s I introduced myself to the Mad Max movies and became obsessed with them. And my first name is Alex, but I never liked being Alex and I detest being Al, so I shortened it to Ax. Remarkably nobody called me Ax tho, no matter how many times I asked them to. You don't choose your own nickname, I suppose. 

Anyway, Mad Ax is a mix of Mad Max and my shortened first name. I used it in many forums before Tamiya club and many more since. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

My Nan had the same coffee too when I was a kid. :lol:

I was too young to drink coffee, so have no recollection of the taste. What do I remember was the size of the giant jars!

Your old bass player sounds like a funny bloke :P

He was hilarious, seriously.

• Haha 2

When at University someone pointed out that Virginia Bottomley (a much loved.......politician at that time) was an anagram of 

I 'm an evil tory biggot

So we decided to see who could come up with the best anagram of their own name

Andrew Gibson (me) Grew Bad on sin

Well I needed a 6 digit password for the university computer network and I liked my anagram, so Baddon was born. It also works quite well in the Biker world as my presentation plate on my trike is

2019-12-14_10-56-22

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mine is pretty boring, My main interest back when I first started browsing the interwebs was Mountain biking (Still do a fair bit, but not like back then). So mtb and my name and the number 01 for some reason was born, maybe the number is because when I first used it wherever it was needed a number included?

• Like 3

My username is somewhere between an excuse and a way of life, it covers much silliness over many years -

I Bought It For The Kids, Honest!

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

When I got back into RC I was only interested in trucks, so a pun on Chuck Norris.

"Kuhfarben" is from when I needed a German word for a Rauh Welt style 911 I built:

img43050_14022016210102_1_1100_.jpg

As the car was black and white like a Friesian cow, I chose the German words for "cow colours" - kuh farben.

• Like 7

Boring story: I was issued "Mark73" as a BBS username or email address or something back in college (we're talking 1990-91 here). The 73 was completely random, but it happens to be the year I was born, so I thought that was kinda cool. So I kept using it.

At some point I came across something I tried to register for, and Mark73 was taken, so I added my middle and last initials. I keep using it because I can't be bothered to try to remember anything else....

• Like 2

Cephas means "rock" in Aramaic and is translated into Greek Πετρος (Petros) (in English Peter). My name being Peter. Started using is as a character name back when I was playing WOW just kept using it as a gaming tag and log in name etc.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IBIFTKH said:

I Bought It For The Kids, Honest!

Always wondered where that came from - my brain gears have done overtime for ages 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Always wondered where that came from - my brain gears have done overtime for ages 

I had pondered whether yours was linked to the clergy :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can relate to 99.9% of every story and either somewhat personal or someone else i personally know that all your stories we have shared in real time and real life. i could actually share and start a book on this HA!:lol:

this is what makes us and this forum the very best site, at least for me. before i was sixteen and had a drivers license i would come up with abbreviated letters for license plates, be it from a song or band or whatever i could fit into 7 or eight letters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

I had pondered whether yours was linked to the clergy :D

Well now , that's another story

• Haha 1

Woodbine was my nickname in school, as I was the only person in class to smoke.

I was late for a lesson, when asked where I was, one of the class shouted "down the field smoking his woodbines" (Woodbine's being a strong, no filter, brand of cigarette), everyone thought it hilarious, the name stuck, but got shortened to Wooders. 

Wooders was taken, so used my eBay name, (where wooders was taken too!) So wooders28, 28 was because I was 28 at the time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My name is Jon, family call me Jonny , I was born in 87 and any Thin lizzy fans will understand the rest! 

• Like 3

Mine is not linked to my name, age or any behavioural issues I have - but i liked the sound of it (I think my friend was stellaproblem when he registered on a forum we both got onto in early 2000s)

what’s funny is my username seems to create a lot of angst in other people when having a discussion. 

Although mine is not linked to anything about me, I always sign off as JJ (again this annoys some people that I sign off) but this is my family nickname and my online persona.

in private messages I will always sign off with my real name - James.

i have a number of nicknames (JJ, Jim, Jimbo (those 3 are obvs),  Blondie (I used to bleach my hair when massive curtains were in style) and Moggy (a play on my surname) 

none of them ever made it into my username 

JJ

• Like 5

This is a brilliant thread but I just cant get the idea of Turnip Jalfrezi out of my head!!!!!!!!( @TurnipJF):wacko:

• Haha 5