ACCEL

How'd you come up with your Display Name?

Just now, Badcrumble said:

I met Mr Banks and he signed my copy of Excession with the sage advice for any reader of the book ‘do it carefully’. I hadn’t and he thought I was a young pr*ck (I was).

What, do the book carefully? Yeah, you really have to with that one. It is probably my favourite Culture book and I have probably read it six or seven times and I still don't know what the minds are talking about at some points.

Ah, man. I would have given anything to have met him. Such a clever and sound guy. His explanatory essay on the origins of the Culture is brilliant in its clarity. He went by the theory that a book should exist within a universe that the author knows ten times more about than the reader, so he used to create enormous files of material for every novel just to give him a context to write within and inspiration to draw from, 90% of which never even saw the light of day. There must be dozens of books' worth of material in his estate we'll never get to see, although there was some talk that someone else might complete the Culture novel he was working on when he died.

I made mine after i had began modding my Scion into a Steampunk theme. Hence SciPunk it worked well and eventually became the car's name

467611_3800898027991_1659393573_o.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/13/2019 at 11:57 PM, Hobgoblin said:

Two reasons:

Name of my robot I built for BBC 2's robot wars and it's my favourite beer!

The rotating plate of death on that was amazing, it did a huge amount of damage. Thanks for the entertainment BITD 

Mine's is simply my name and 2nd initials. On the first forum I ever signed up on (which was a local car cruise) I wanted people to know who I was if I ever said hello in person. No exciting story here.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

The rotating plate of death on that was amazing, it did a huge amount of damage. Thanks for the entertainment BITD 

Mine's is simply my name and 2nd initials. On the first forum I ever signed up on (which was a local car cruise) I wanted people to know who I was if I ever said hello in person. No exciting story here.

I remember the very first time i had to come up with a display name, i froze as though i was being watched (HA!HA!:lol:) i typed  Eric, i tried to change it later never could, that audio site doesn't exist anymore.

Up until a few years ago I’ve only ever had one RC vehicle in my possession at a time so to speak since I was a kid. I had one 2nd hand King Blackfoot in about 2005? Where I worked at the time we all decided to find something cheap to bash around with at lunch time. 
   Fast forward to a couple of years ago and that KBF was always in the back of my mind along with reminiscing ogling that Super Champ and Rough Rider in my Mums Littlewoods catalogue in the 80’s, also the 3 speed Hilux at the LHS. 
   One day typing in ‘Tamiya RC’ in Goggle I nearly fell if my chair to see the ReRe Fighting Buggy ‘In Stock!!’ But in the State’s 😕  Not trusting one to travel all that way In one piece I let it go. So then Tamiya Bug bit, and a visit to a Hobby Shop round the corner from my brother in laws house saw the purchase of my First NIB Tamiya RC, a Stadium Blitzer to cut my teeth on. Shortly after saw the purchase of an assembled SRB chassis with unpainted Buggy Champ & Sand Scorcher body shells. 
   Not actually knowing a great deal about Tamiya’s I started to type in lots of questions about them and 99.9% of the time the result came up via ‘TamiyaClub’ So I thought I may as well join. 
   I didn’t think of a name while signing up so reaching that stage is always an in the moment thing and has to be easy to remember. Being a V-Dub fan and the Tamiya ‘bug’ in full flow with a Sand Scorcher, a bit of reference to ReRe’s, a play on words ‘Re-Bugged’ had nice ring to it. So here I am and haven’t looked back since 😉

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

I think mine is pretty simple, I am from North Carolina, (nc) I am a NFL Panthers fan, (unfortunately) and i was born in 1971.

Off topic but it gets much worse than being stuck as a Panthers fan.  I'm in Ohio so my choices are Bengals or Browns.  The two pillars of NFL dysfunction.  I was a Bengals fan for years but it finally got to be too much so I'm pretty much avoiding them until Mike Brown is (hopefully) forced to sell.

35 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

Off topic but it gets much worse than being stuck as a Panthers fan.  I'm in Ohio so my choices are Bengals or Browns.  The two pillars of NFL dysfunction.  I was a Bengals fan for years but it finally got to be too much so I'm pretty much avoiding them until Mike Brown is (hopefully) forced to sell.

Browns just need a coach to instill some discipline in that locker room and I think they could be a pretty good team.  I was a Ron Rivera fan and I think he would be a great fit there.

46 minutes ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

Browns just need a coach to instill some discipline in that locker room and I think they could be a pretty good team.  I was a Ron Rivera fan and I think he would be a great fit there.

Couldn't agree more on Rivera.  For the benefit of a bunch of my friends I hope Browns ownership sees it that way too, they deserve a winner after so many bad years.  

After using various names on forums over the years, I settled on the model of my little Aprilia.

How it looks now.

spacer.png

How it will look when finished.

spacer.png

And a picture which showed the previous name, taken from the back cover from a Pop Will Eat Itself single, artwork courtesy of The Designers Republic. 
I changed it as some people took offence.😕

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hmm. With societal conventions regarding marriage, child-rearing and what it means to be a family unit having become a lot more enlightened in recent years, I am surprised that the above word continues to give offence. A child's legitimacy or the lack thereof doesn't seem to be an issue these days.

16 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Hmm. With societal conventions regarding marriage, child-rearing and what it means to be a family unit having become a lot more enlightened in recent years, I am surprised that the above word continues to give offence. A child's legitimacy or the lack thereof doesn't seem to be an issue these days.

I've worked in factories & heavy industry all of my life, I'm probably oblivious to any sort of "colourful" language. Sometimes need to remember that not every sentence needs an expletive!

• Haha 1

My name is Frank, but it is often used on forums.
One of my first names is Francesco, but that name is often already used on forums.
So I shorten that to Cesco and that's what I usualy use as forum name.
I now also use it as my Youtube channel name. 

• Like 1

Huh, found this thread, and even though it is quite aged a bit, I thought I add myself to it.

My "nick" or "display name" may lead the one or other member to the assumption that I could be some martial or militant person. But the orign of my username is completely different. But first, my christian name is Martin, which is a reference to the roman god of war "Mars". Well, my parents picked it out, I don't know what they had in mind if at all. But that's not the topic.

In my early days in the internet, around 1995-1999 I often used the "nick" "Tecumseh". But with the evolution of the WWW this name got more and more occupied by other users on new platforms/forums. So I racked my brain which name I could use instead. I then remembered a song by the funk group "Cameo" ("Word Up" and "Rumours" if somebody remembers), about a guy who was in for music and in an always good mood, the song is called "Urban Warrior" (On the album "Single Life" from 1985). The username wasn't occupied and from there on I used it on many platforms.

Cheers

Martin

I own a VW T4 Bus. It's a bit rusty. I also had another VW bus and that was rusty too.

• Like 2

Mine is just straight forward and pun intended.  I've always been a Tamiya Willy fan from the start so just kept the tradition.  This is why you see so many M38's and other Willy/Billy figures in my line up.

ウィリーいいね

Willy Good ('really' pronounced like a kid, iine means good)

IMG_Dec192021at42955PM.thumb.jpg.f83bb018392c784dd34ad5ea9c2c10ef.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

Well....

Initially i only came here for wanted/sales/trades for my ta03 needs, and i wanted to make sure everyone from uk sees that i need intl shipping.... that was before brexit... now im here and not for the sales/trades section... 

• Like 2

Elbow - an old school nickname, because I broke my elbow at school. It stuck. Even my sister calls me elbow. Sometimes, because of this, my friends also call me "the Spanish Archer", el bow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Willy Good ('really' pronounced like a kid, iine means good)

Ah ha! I had wondered. 

For me, I only came on here with some questions around buying a buggy for my son for his 8th birthday 2 years ago, didn't think I'd come back into the hobby myself. That delusion lasted me about 3 posts 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I had this car back in the day when I made this account.

Here you can spot it in the back of the picture. :lol:

Silver DU692HO, do not own it anymore. It was a end of 2003, Škoda Fabia mk1 vRS, 1.9 TDI PD, 130hp :wub:

zCyZvJ9.jpeg

• Like 2

My name is Alastair and i am called Ally by most people who know me and Ally mccoist an ex rangers player was called super Ally.

• Like 1